PDA

View Full Version here: : Best places to camp for dark skies

shelltree
30-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering where some good camping grounds are relatively close to Brisbane (2-3hr drive) with some great dark skies for some amateur astrophotography and binocular observing. My partner and I are thinking of going away for a weekend camping and thought somewhere with some dark skies would be really nice. Also, some foreground interest in the area would be great as well, as we would like to try for some star trails with some interesting scenery in the shot as well.

Thanks for your help! :)

Cheers,

Shell

astroron
30-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Shelley,Whats Wrong with Cambroon:question:
Cheers

shelltree
30-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Nothing at all, Ron! We just decided we wanted to go camping somewhere and thought a place with a nice dark sky would be a great way to go :) Not to mention we are coming to visit next weekend anyway :D

Kevnool
30-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Shelley when you find your dark spot you seek to find then put your hand up to the sky and look at it.
Then you can compare the back of your hand to the sky and your hand will reveal the true darkness.

Cheers Kev.

GrahamL
30-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Heading south this time of year and hanging on the coast
Evans Head , its quite enough now the cooler nights have kicked in
the camping ground is quite close to all the important things :)
Observing from the old WW2 airfield I believe is still
great with a pretty southern view.

Inland , Stanthorpe and round the back to tenterfield
, Bald Rock , Boonoo Boono NP ,Banjo Paterson did some courtin here ...
the old gold race nearbye, capt thunderbolts hideout WW2 tank traps ... and tenterfield airport on the way into town is a decent observing site I've been told ...The information centre in tenterfield does have one of Peter Allans marracas encased in glass to . :thumbsup::D
June.... camping in the granite belt ? ... maybe :)

Further south .. minnie waters / Wooli... sites at minne on the beach have some fairly clear views if you get to pick.

hotspur
30-05-2011, 09:09 PM
We are having a observing weekend this weekend on the property here on the Blackbutt Range-two Brisbane IIS members are coming up,if you and partner want to come and camp,you are welcome-only two hours from Brisbane-very dark skies-Chris

shelltree
31-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Very true Kev, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Cheers for the info mate, will have to sus some of these places out! :)

Cheers for the offer Chris but I will be at Cambroon this weekend :)