PDA

View Full Version here: : DeepSky Stacker Out of memory Error

pmrid
27-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Here's an odd bit of behaviour. DeepSky Stacker is giving me an Out of Memory error message after attempting to stack some images. It gets to the end of stacking the first one and then the error message pops up.

It happens the same on both my laptops. One runs XP SP3 with 2 GB of RAM and the Other Win7 64 Bit with 4 GB of RAM. The FITS I'm stacking are the same ones I take all the time with a QHY8 via Nebulosity and they come out at about 32MB each.

I was trying to image the Hercules Galaxy Cluster and there's very little star population in the region where I was - just heaps of faint fuzzies. Initially DSS wanted me to change the star detection threshold (it clearly wasn't getting enough star data for alignment) which I did.

Is the error message somehow tied into that perhaps?

Peter

leon
27-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey Peter I reckon you files are to big, the program like smaller files, well that was my experience with the program.

Leon

jjjnettie
27-05-2011, 08:58 AM
I had the same dramas yesterday with Registax.
My files are way too big.

It's time for our software to catch up with the hardware.

mswhin63
27-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Had similar problems with DSS as well.

Try;
>Register Setting
>>Stacking Parameters
Unchecked a combination of the 2 "Use all available processors" and or "Reduce worker thread priority"

I can't say this will work but did for one of my images!

jenchris
27-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Drizzle is the culprit - turn off the drizzle and it works fine.
You have to have your memory configured a special way to make it work and I haven't worked it out yet

pmrid
27-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks folks. I took everyones' advice, turned drizzle off and also unchecked the 2 settings in the Lights tab.
Peter

Stu Ward
30-05-2011, 02:44 PM
What file size should you use ?
I got the same issue when i tried to stack some moon shots with DSS and Registax

Thanks

Stu

pmrid
30-05-2011, 04:15 PM
There is no particular size specification that I know of. In the past I've stacked images up to 59MB each without murmer. And once I killed drizzle off, it happily stacked 32MB images for me the other night.
Peter

Stu Ward
31-05-2011, 06:14 AM
I need help with this guys, DSS will not accept multiple moon shots as it sees only 1 star so uses 1 image
Registax will not allow more than one of my images (3.5mb each) as it runs out of memory.
It says its using 1.5 GB out of the 2GB of memory !!!
Is this right ?

Stu

jjjnettie
31-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Stu, try using an earlier version of Registax.
I keep copies of Registax 3 and 4 just for this reason.
Good luck.

Give your computer a reboot first though. Free up some memory.

mswhin63
31-05-2011, 09:13 AM
As above Registax or AVIStack are the better option for planetary and moon shots.

Stu Ward
31-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Tried AVI Stack and get not able to generate Pixmap error