PDA

View Full Version here: : Denkmeier Big Easy Binoviewer

Hammerman
11-02-2006, 06:32 AM
I've been giving some serious thought to getting a binoviewer ever since I looked through a pair last year. I can't afford an expensive pair, but I didn't want one of the cheap ones that Orion, Celestron, and a few others have out now.

I was thinking about the Denkmeier Big Easy. Denkmeier has a great reputation, and this particular model says that it has correctors to work in both refractors and reflectors (and I own one of each).

My question.... Has anyone here used, or had any experience with this model?

Thanks!

OneOfOne
17-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a reflector and have one of these on my wish list. A bino viewer usually won't work on a reflector because you will run out of travel before it comes to focus...the light path is basically too long. I sent them a number of emails about using the adaptor on my scope and they didn't seem to think there would be a problem.

The support guy, Russ, was extremely helpful, even after 4 or 5 emails back and forth.

If you have both types of scope, you will probably kick yourself if you can only use it on one of them...

If you get one, let us know how you go. I believe the effect is, pardon the pun, out of this world.

Vermin
17-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I have the universal (refractor + reflector) model and a set of the 21mm eps.

Only used in my 4" refractor so far, and I love it.

If the clouds dissipate tonight (not looking good ATM) and I get to have first light in my reflector, I will give it a try. However the truss poles have not been trimmed yet and it may not reach focus even with the OCS adapter.

Hammerman
19-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks guys! I guess I should send an email to Denkmeier's tech guy too. I'll let him know what I plan to use it on as far as type of scopes and focal length, and see what he says.

Hammerman
19-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Wow! That was fast! I emailed Denkmeier and one hour later I had a reply from Russ Lederman, who is the president of Denkmeier. Very helpful info. He told me that the binoviewer would work on both scopes, and the only thing I would need to make sure of is if my diagonal on the refractor was threaded. He also showed me where I could download the manual for this binoviewer, and he apologized for the fact that they could fill no orders until the 27th of February because of a big star party they had business with. Gives me plenty of time to decide if I want to go with them or not.