PDA

View Full Version here: : Power Supply found online cheap

steve000
24-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey All,

I found this today. its a real bugger because I made one and it cost me more, mine doesn't have a radio!

I have no affiliation with dealsdirect or anything like that at all, I just dont want people looking at making a PSU to do the same mistake I did.

21AH, compressor, light etc..
$139

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/21ah-7-1-power-station-inverter/?cm_mmc=newsletter-_-20110524-_-prods-_-7665

mswhin63
24-05-2011, 04:00 PM
"200W peak power inverter / out put120V." Power good Voltage not good although could be a typo

mikerr
24-05-2011, 04:57 PM
How do you recharge the internal SLA Battery? Surely not from a car lighter socket!!!:question:

Michael

astroron
24-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I would watch this company:question:
I had a problem with them overa purchase of a camera:mad2:
I paid for a Camera then they told me it was out of stock and I had a dickens of a job getting my money back untill I went through PayPal and they refunded my money:)
I would make sure that they have the product before committing my dollars and cents .
Cheers:thumbsup:
PS it may have been only a one off ,but as they say Buyer beware:question:

Liz
24-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Shame about that Ron. I have actually bought a lot of them with no problems, but then, I have never had to return anything, that may have changed things.

I actually bought a similiar product off them 6 months ago, which I cant get going, but I believe that to be ... ah, my fault. :help: I must take it to one of members to have a look.

astroron
24-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Liz,I did not get anything in the first place ,they told me it was out of stock and after waiting for about two weeks said they where in stock again but they had gone up by $300.00:eyepop:
When I asked for my money back it took them another week to ten days to refund my money :mad2: but only after contacting PayPal and it was in my account in two days :shrug:
Regards

mswhin63
24-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Ron,

This has happened to me as well but have also purchased from them before most of the time no problems. Sometime the heavy discounts have time limits and while going through the checkout procedure someone else has cleared all the stock. It happens on places like this.

I would say the delay is not good, I was notified within 1 day of oversupply and refunded the next day.

astroron
24-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Malcolm,
I even spoke to the guy on the phone a few times and was assured all sorts of things but got nothing:shrug:
As I said it may have been a one off:rolleyes:
Cheers

mikerr
25-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Liz, what type of device and problem? Maybe we can sort it out here!

Michael

Liz
25-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks Michael .. I bought one of these -
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/power-station-air-compressor-17-2-ah/

Havent had a look for awhile, but think I charged it as per instructions, then there seemed to be no power available. The guage wasnt registering, the light wouldnt work, or power. I had turned all 4 power outlets on and off etc.

Must have another go at though, as looked a good unit, and from memory, had lights going etc earlier when charging.:question:

mswhin63
25-05-2011, 09:22 AM
On face value Liz this is a good one, although internal battery is not the best it has the capability for external batteries and that is a plus. If it has been sitting for a while (at home or in store stock) my concern is the batteries have sulphated and this mean they are dead. It is very hard not impossible to regenerate them but not for the in-experienced. I used to de-sulphate a lot of batteries during my apprenticeship and it can be quite nasty task.

Good luck with it

Liz
25-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Ok, have had another good luck, and read instructions, though doesnt say anything about a fuse, but the pack came with a fuse so stuck it in, and voila. Lights flashing and bells ringing (;)).

Yes, thought it looked a good power pack Malcolm, so look forward to christening it. :D

mikerr
25-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Liz, from the pictures it appears that there is a DC input for charging the internal battery and a red LED directly above the socket to show that you are indeed supplying external power to it. I guess there is a wall plug pack that goes into that socket to recharge the internal battery.

Could you try charging it and see if at least the Red LED above the socket comes on to show that you are supplying power to it? If this does come on please say so and leave it charging.

Next to the charging socket there appears to be four LEDs to indicate Battery condition. One Red, one Amber and two Green. If you leave it charging for a few hours these LEDs should sequentially light from left to right to show that the battery is actually taking a charge.

Let us know what, if anything, happens.:)

Michael

Liz
25-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Cheers Mike, I think its fully charged, as is on the green light now ..... ah, now that I have attached the right AC adapter. The one I was using wasnt doing a thing, so attached another, which was obviously the right one. These adapters have a tendency to multiply like rabbits. :whistle:

mikerr
25-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Ok sounds good.:thumbsup: It might be an idea to run the battery down by using some of the built in lights and then recharge the battery.
This type of battery likes to be used occasionally to maintain its capacity.

Good luck.

Michael

astroron
25-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Shame about that Ron. I have actually bought a lot of them with no problems, but then, I have never had to return anything, that may have changed things.

Liz,I thought the product you have bought was such a good deal:)
that I have to show that I am not against this company that I have ordered one myself:D
Cheers :thumbsup:

Gem
25-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Supercheap auto have a similar model for $94. The only difference being that it is 19 Ahr not 21.

astroron
25-05-2011, 02:31 PM
The one discused on this thread and I have just ordered is only 17.2 AH:shrug:
Cheers

mswhin63
25-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Very hard to keep a track on all the different suppliers at the right time.

RoscoeSydney
28-05-2011, 08:33 PM
In Sydney (at least) this weekend, Repco has 20% of a lot of things, including Mechpro 900 Amp 12volt 17 AmpHour jump starter which has a light , voltmeter, and cigarette lighter socket, and 240V and cigarette lighter chargers. I got it for $72. The 1200 Amp model was $150 (I think) less 20%.

I also had collected a heap of AA alkaline Duracells in January for grandkids' toys but they lost interest in the toys. Altronics have plastic Battery Adaptors AA To C Pk4 S4607 $3.95 which are working OK with my Meade LX90. I will see how long they last. I take them out of the scope after use to make sure they don't leak in the machinery.

Roscoe (first post)

bobson
29-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Welcome Roscoe!

I have Eee PC little laptop with 10" LED screen so battery should last anywhere from 6-9 hours depending on use. But in this cold weather it lasts less than that.

Those starters/power supplies come with cigarette lighter socket. What do I need to plug my laptop in it? Or do I just use 240V outlet and plug the charger in it that comes with laptop? I read a lot about it on the net, but everyone got different ideas. Since many members here have experience with it I would like to hear from them.

I found this on Jaycar website 50W In-Car Mini Notebook Power Supply:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3479&keywords=laptop+charger&form=KEYWORD

thanks

bob