PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone had anything delivered wither to Syd airport or seaport?

llm726
22-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi

I'm looking at importing a fair bit of dob stuff (either a completed dob or its components) into Australia - total value of import will be over $7,000

The US-based suppliers have provided me with quotes to ship the goods to either Sydney airport or the Port of Sydney (my guess is the Botany Bay terminal). The idea is that I just turn up there to collect the goods.

Has anyone ever imported stuff through either of these channels?

While GST costs are relatively straightforward to work out, are there other airport / port costs to take into consideration?

Next week I was going to make some calls to find out, but thought a quick question here might save me some time...

thanks

A

multiweb
22-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Might be some demurrage costs. I 'm not sure if they are a % of the total value or fixed fees.

gary
22-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately more than you can imagine.

Everything from terminal handling charges, customs clearance fees, quarantine
declaration fees to fuel surcharges.

The good news is that as long as you pick up the goods in time, there will
be no demurrage charges.

There is also lots of paperwork, even down to packing declarations for the types
of materials used in packaging.

There are a plethora of acronyms by which you will need to familiarize yourself.

Unless you are registered with Australian Customs, which is a long complex
exercise in itself that requires you to undergo security clearance checks, recommend
you have the supplier either quote you terms on FIS or employ the services
of a professional custom's broker or freight forwarding service. In the later case,
have your supplier quote you terms for FOB to their shipping port and have your freight
forwarder handle the rest.

llm726
22-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks Marc and Gary,

Just as further background, I have some shipping quotes from Randy at Astrosystems and Dave at Obsession. Both have been fantastic in providing very timely information to my requests... In fact, it's amazing that the majority of company owners deal directly with their customers (including you Gary) which is something I doubt occurs that much in other hobbies.

Randy has provided a quote to get the goods to the airport. Dave has a quote for both the airport, seaport, and delivery to my home in canberra. Cost goes up considerably for each step, but then again, it is to move a large dob quite a distance.

I have Dave's book heading its way to me... If it turns out to be too expensive, it might be time to draw up some plans and go and visit Mr Plywood!

gary
22-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi Anthony,

Both Randy and I know Dave in particular, have a wealth of experience with
exporting and freight forwarding, so they should be able to assist you with any
concerns.

When the Three Rivers Foundation (3RF) shipped half a dozen Obsessions to
Sydney, they forwarded them by sea freight and a friend picked them up from
the Botany terminal.

The job of a customs broker or freight forwarder is to handle the bulk of the
paperwork for you. Dave or Randy will complete the rest at their end, including
packing lists.