PDA

View Full Version here: : Laser Pointers in QLD

jjjnettie
21-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I have managed to get hold of this .pdf, outlining changes in the law in regards to the Astronomical use of Laser pointers.
Keep in mind this is only in discussion in parliament, not sure when (or if) it will become law, this is ONLY to show that they are considering astronomers in regards to laser pointers :)

Clauses 13 and 18 are what you are looking for.

PeterM
21-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Today I heard how a Channel 9 chopper was "laser attacked" last night for 10 minutes by some jerk from around Newfarm. This will no doubt make headline news tonight and cannot be good for legit users or upcoming Federal laws.
PeterM.

mithrandir
21-05-2011, 04:26 PM
What is 18 (4) a supposed to mean?

"an astronomical organisation or an occupation may only be published on the QPS website once and for not more than 6 months".

That it will only permit the org for one 6 month period, or it has to be republished every 6 months.

jjjnettie
21-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Aye, it was on the QLD Police news feed on FB. That's how I came by the PDF.

jjjnettie
21-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Maybe they mean to use this as a way to limit the number of people who are able to own a laser.
We have a 6 month window, then that is it. :shrug:

AstroJunk
21-05-2011, 11:02 PM
It is hard to read these bills outside of the context of the Act to which they pertain!

I (and others) worked with QPS a number of years a go to establish a bona-fide for laser pointers. If you recall (and it was discussed on IIS), a couple of high profile events had caused the outright banning of lasers in various states. Not here!

QPS were very receptive of the needs of the astronomical community and could see the educational value of their use. However, in order to be able to prosecute those idiots that shine lasers at cars (they are the ones that do the real damage), they require a clear differentiation between 'scum-bags' and astronomers.

So their logic works a little like this - you use a laser to show people stuff. Only a club would show people stuff, because only they are insured to do so, and it would be stupid to do so uninsured. Therefore, all green-laser pointer owners will be members of (incorporated) clubs.

Owning a lazer finder scope, I can't wholy agree with that logic, but it is an unnecessary luxury.

In reality, it may be possible for clubs to provide a letter of reference to those non-members as, lets face it, the community is small enough to do that, and I'm sure my fellow club Presidents would agree that we really don't want our members to be there under duress! However, you may like to take your own legal advice before chancing it!

oosh
13-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Sorry for bumping this guys, but just had a question. Based on this pdf, and/or your own experience, what would you recommend (if anything) as a pointer for someone not apart of a club? We need something.. but whether or not that something will be worth the risk of prosecution is another matter...

Cheers for your help :)

tlgerdes
13-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Join a club, problem solved.:shrug:

oosh
13-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Not really enough time for a club.. else it's something we might consider, hence the "apart from a club" part ;)

tlgerdes
13-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I think that is a bit of a cop out.

It isnt always about going along to meetings. The clubs usually have magazines, libraries etc that comes as part of the subscription. Your current requirement is another reason for joining.

You get out any club what you put in it. ASNSW has hundreds of members, yet only about a 1/4 are active meeting attendees.

You will spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find away around the law, yet you wont look at the easy route. No wonder you havent time for a club.:shrug:

oosh
13-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for your help.