PDA

View Full Version here: : best way to fix tripod mounting brass nut on binos?

lolthrash
14-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey guys,
I bought some 11x70 andrews binos a few months ago, used them two maybe three times before the eyecups split while being rolled back, and literally 3/4 fell away from the body (but let's not get into that now shall we) and in the SAME session, whilst the binoculars were mounted on my tripod the brass nut ripped out under the weight of the binos and fell (luckily) into my hands.
Andrews outright refused to replace them as it was "my fault for handling them roughly" (which somehow must have occured somewhere between me taking them from their provided bag in secure storage location to my tripod set up in my driveway) but "generously fixed" them for me when I sent them back to the store. First time I used them again, brass nut ripped out the instant it bore the full weight of the binos.
Considering the product is completely faulty and I have been refused replacement, my question is whether or not I can personally do anything to secure the nut and stop it from falling out again? I don't know a whole heap about bonding materials and a generous coat of araldyte to both the inside of the binos and the thread of the brass nut, left for 48 hours, didn't work even remotely.
I'm really frustrated by this as I thought buying these binos would be an excellent introduction to astronomy, and the fact that I really want to get more involved in observing but straight up can't use them properly is really quite upsetting.
Anyone have any ideas? :confused2:

dannat
15-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Is the thread stripped on the nut? Loctite is used th secure nuts on thread, can get itat auto stores there are a few types
Honestly I think you have a case to take to your state consumer Dept. You should be able to get a replacement as they have not fixed them to satisfactory working standard

mikerr
15-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Oliver, are these the binoculars that you bought?

If the product is "Not fit for purpose" you should be pursuing a replacement via "The Department of Fair Trading".
You purchased in good faith and it is not you resposibility to repair the goods.

Your posting is timely as I have been considering a different model of Binoculars from Andrews. I will be interested to see how they ultimately resolve the issue with you before proceeding with what was to be my first purchase from them.

Michael

Barrykgerdes
15-05-2011, 09:58 AM
If the picture represents the binoculars you have a simple fix will not be possible. The weight of the binos is really too high for that method of mounting and any repair by glueing will not last.

As you have modified them I would not expect a warantee claim to be successful except as a goodwill gesture. I suspect the mounting boss was never expected to be used in the manner you require and is a manufacturing short coming and would be deemed to be unsuitable for the purpose you bought them for and as such should have been replaced or refunded. By refusing your claim the supplier has done himself more harm than the cost of the binos.

As you look like being stuck with them there are other ways a mounting bracket can be attached and should be investigated.

Barry

jenchris
15-05-2011, 10:08 AM
trying to fix them yourself after returning them once does not invalidate the implied warrantee by the sale of goods act, particularly as it is obvious that their 'fix' was inadequate..
Fit for the purpose has to be ruled - if the weight of the bins was supposed to be borne by the nut, and it didn't then it is not fit for the purpose.

dannat
15-05-2011, 10:09 AM
They can still be mounted, nikon in the us sell a holder for the bino to lay in, or you can cut some PVC pipe in half, and use Velcro strapping to tighten the bino, you then need a nut to secure to your tripod

lolthrash
15-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the help/support guys, really appreciated.
I actually did try very hard with Andrews to get a replacement and mentioned that I felt like I should have gone to the department of fair trading, however they basically responded with "well go ahead and try then" and told me they'd "see me at the hearing" (or words to that effect) which I was REALLY surprised about. They then said they would repair them on good faith, so I didn't pursue it further as I figured the repairs would be adequate...
I took a few photos just after they fell apart as I was so shocked, so I'll post them below this. The photos are of the eyecups after they split and fell away from the body, the nut attached to the tripod adapter after it ripped out of the body, and a shot of the body where the nut used to be :rolleyes:.
Yes, to the guy who asked if the nut's thread is now stripped, I'm guessing that's the main problem...
Also yes mike, those are the binoculars I bought, the very same.

lolthrash
15-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Daniel do you mean these things? http://www.adorama.com/images/large/NKBUM.JPG
any idea where's a good place to buy them if that's what you're talking about?

lolthrash
15-05-2011, 08:44 PM
although I read somewhere that it only holds binos up to 56mm aperture, I wonder if that's true? :\

dannat
15-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes Oliver that was what I refer to, hard to get in Oz, beter to buy from US or try make your own