PDA

View Full Version here: : Changes to the IceInSpace Forum *Please Read*

iceman
09-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi guys and gals.

Part of the reason for the outage this morning was to upgrade the forum system to vBulletin v3.5.3. It's the latest version of vBulletin, and contains many significant changes that you should be aware of.

Here's a couple of the new features:

Product/Plugin system with over 550 'hook' locations strategically placed in the code. Allows modification and extension of vBulletin without physical alteration of the vBulletin PHP scripts.
Inline moderation allows multiple threads or posts to be have moderation actions performed without a visit to the admin or moderator control panels
Completely rewritten message editor with ability to instantly switch between standard and WYSIWYG modes
Thread title editing on forumdisplay via AJAX
Thread opening and closing on forumdisplay via AJAX
Super-Quick Reply on showthread via AJAX
Inline post edit on showthread via AJAX
Username suggestion for PM recipients and search by user via AJAX
Database-based thread and forum read marking
Custom avatar and profile picture resizing
Each attachment image type can be individually set to generate thumbnails or not
Each attachment image type can be individually set to open in a new window or not
New [attach] bbcode tag for placing attachments inline with messages
Attachment upload via URL in addition to local upload
Ability to preview signature edits
And of course, numerous bugs and annoyances resolved.

Some of these won't mean anything to you, but the main one that may affect you is shown in bold above. Previously, a cookie timeout of 15 minutes was used to mark all threads as "read", or you could use the "Mark Forums Read" link to de-activate the "New Post Indicator".

Now, a thread will stay as "not read" until you have actually read it. The 15-minute cookie timeout no longer applies. So the "new post" indicator will stay on until
a) You actually read the thread, or
b) You "Mark Forums Read".

The "hook" feature (in the first bullet point above) means that "mods" or "hacks" for vBulletin can be more easily installed and uninstalled, and will allow me to customise the look and feel easier, and add additional features much easier.

The upgrade may have presented problems for some of you initially, or it may just take some getting used to. If you're having problems with a particular browser version, please let us know the symptoms/problems.

Domain Redirect:
- The iceinspace.com.au domain is redirected to www2.iceinspace.com.au until DNS changes propagate through your ISPs. You will have to login again.

Current Issues:
- Quick Reply box shows a "duplicate post" error when you submit the reply, but your post is still saved properly. Use "Go Advanced" to avoid this for now.

Bear with us as we iron through any potential problems as a result of the upgrade.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, and I hope you enjoy the new features.

iceman
09-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Many thanks to Terry (mojo) and David (dsturnbull) for performing the migration and upgrade this morning.

We've moved onto a new server because the old server had a bad disk which was causing problems from time to time.

The new server should be a little faster, too.

Thanks again guys.

RB
09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Awesome Mike.
Sounds great and the new post indicator should work a treat.
I've been looking forward to this feature for a while now.

Thanks again guys for an awesome forum.

:cool:

Thiink
09-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Thank you to all involved with the upgrades. :)

One thing Ive noticed since the upgrades, and this happens on other vBulletin forums I visit as well, is that at work (using a proxy) I have to tick the "Remember me?" box when logging in or it sends me back to the log in screen again. Its only been in newer versions of vBulletin that Ive had the problem.

Starkler
09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I have missed a lot of new posts due to the cookie timeout so even for that alone its a worthwhile upgrade :)

RAJAH235
09-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Pages load real sweet now. Now I do have BB. Ta Mike & crew..:D L.

ving
09-02-2006, 09:00 PM
argh!@ thanks me matey! :P

janoskiss
09-02-2006, 09:02 PM
So how do I mark a thread/forum as "read"? :confuse2:

janoskiss
09-02-2006, 09:19 PM
When you go to edit a post, all the newlines get deleted, and all the text is merged into a single paragraph! The pre-shutdown iceinspace did not 'not work' like that...

Portmac
09-02-2006, 10:00 PM
This only happens to me if I use the "Preview" option. I have also seen this issue on another forum and it was determined that a Vbulletin plugin called "Realtime Template Compressor" was causing the problem.

iceman
10-02-2006, 04:50 AM
I've not heard of that plugin, I'm sure we're not using it.

Janos, can you PM me with the exact sequence of events to repeat this? Also, what editor are you using (WYSIWYG/etc)?

iceman
10-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Use the "Mark All Forums Read" link at the bottom of the forum home listing.

janoskiss
10-02-2006, 08:36 AM
I'll send you an example when it happens again. No external editor just the online one.

mick pinner
10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
why do l now time out and have to log back in all the time when l leave the site sitting for a little while?

iceman
10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Try clearing your cookies. You would've had to log in the first time, but logging in every time is not normal.

mick pinner
10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
done that, no good, as soon as l refresh the page after returning l have to log on again, never happened before the revamp.

iceman
10-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Try looking through this thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5736) and try some of the fixes in there.

Gary was able to solve the problem.. reply to that thread rather than here if the problem persists.