PDA

View Full Version here: : TV hack

AdrianF
11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
A while ago I bought an LG 26LD350 LCD TV what sold me on the TV was all the inputs on the back HDMI, RCA, USB etc.
Was I disappointed when I found the USB is only for service use by techs. The port is disabled so the consumer doesn't have access. Well I decided wasn't going to be beat and did a little research and found that it was possible to hack the TV using a mobile phone with IR and some software off the net and about 15 minutes work (10 of those installing and working out how to use the software and 2 minutes to convince my wife it needed to be done) We now have a fully functioning TV and can plug in USB drives and look at the files on the drive.

Adrian

vindictive666
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
hi

i bought a teac lcd that all so came with a usb port

read the instructions and bought a 32gb drive stick and can record tv digital only (tried analogue did not work) works great without a hack ?

regards john

AdrianF
12-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Apparently the USB port is disabled to the consumer on the 26" and down on the LG TV's and is setup only as a service port for the techs. On the 32" and above it is enabled for the consumer to use. Why? Dunno!
The only thing I had to do was use the IR facility on the mobile and run a IRcontrol software to enable the hidden menu on the tv and change 2 settings save and hey presto.

Adrian

Kal
15-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Sweet hack Adrian!

I've removed zoning on a couple of DVD players so that I can play imported DVD's but never heard of hacking TV's before :thumbsup:

AdrianF
16-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Apparently it's not something LG wants the consumer to know about. What I don't understand is why LG didn't enable the items in the menu, it's only a change in 2 places and all you have to do is change a 0 for a 1
Anyway I thought it was a worthwhile change.

Adrian

jenchris
16-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for that, I have one of those LGs (42") and it was a bit annoying to note all those inputs and not have USB working.
I haven't got an IR phone, but I know someone who has!
What's the prog and where do I find it?

bojan
16-05-2011, 09:24 AM
It was...

I was wondering myself why I have REC-PLAY etc on my 47" Samsung TV remote (perhaps for Samsung recorders?) , but it's USB can be used only for viewing images and playing mp3 and some video format files.. maybe similar "hack" exists here as well?

AdrianF
16-05-2011, 11:31 AM
This is the web page I got the info from
http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/IR_Hack (http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/IR_Hack)

Adrian
if you use the hack I take no responibility.