PDA

View Full Version here: : Another T Pyx spectrum, 8 May 2011

Rob_K
09-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Second try at this, amazing what a difference a magnitude makes!

Taken with a piggybacked Canon 400D and Star Analyser grating, using a cheap 55-200mm zoom lens at 200mm. 7 x 2 min subs, all hand-guided on an unmotorised EQ1 mount.

Pretty pleased, clearly shows the FeII lines that have developed lately. I've made no attempt yet to process the image, just taken straight from the stack. There may be other lines in there amongst the noise. It's a looong strip so don't forget to click the image to full size if you have to.

Cheers -

Terry B
09-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Very good Rob.
How did you avoid background stars?
I have taken 2 more nights of spectra but haven't processed them yet.

Rob_K
09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks! Pure luck Terry, but you can always rotate the grating a little. Also, with the grating on, the camera doesn't go particularly deep in two minutes.

I've attached a full-frame single sub with T Pyx and its spectrum marked (arrows to strong H-alpha & H-beta responses). Up near the red end, see how the 'spear' bisects two faint little stars! And look at all those other spectra going to waste. :lol:

Anyway, look forward to yours! :thumbsup:

Cheers -

Merlin66
14-05-2011, 12:56 AM
You're doing very well with that set up!
Janet S. is using a 85mm f1.8 lens with the SA100 and getting some excellent WR spectra.
With your 200mm and the "practise" you're getting with guiding etc you should chase some WR stars.....
(Don't forget Eta Car!!!)
Well done.