PDA

View Full Version here: : Looking for help to idenfy a Very Good Finder Scope

stevous67
07-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for a very good quality finder scope to be used on a main scope that has a focal length of 2500mm. Hopefully it has a variable illuminated reticle, and I’m not sure on the size: may be 8 x 50mm or 9 x 50mm? In the past with my VC200L, the Vixen finder itself was very good, but the alignment screws were a little difficult to adjust.

I am hoping someone can share their experience with their finder scope, and what they like about theirs. Whilst in the field, things do not always go perfect, and some gotos are not in the FOV of your camera.

I have recently made an electronic finder scope with a Meade DSI 2 and a Nikon 70mm-200mm lens, and this works very well. But, I would like a visual finder too.

Thanks if anyone can help out,

Cheers,

Steve

Paul Haese
07-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Steve, I am using a Stellavue finder scope which has a removable and rotating eyepiece. Very good unit.

TrevorW
07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
I can second the SV as a good finder

stevous67
07-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks Paul and Trevor,

I never knew of this option. This looks the answer, but what models do you have?

I see at OPT the following:

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=105-166-168-8503
[hope that works...]

Is there a local source [OZ]?

thanks

Steve

astronut
07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I purchased the Skywatcher 9x50 Illuminated finder from Andrews last year, for $129.
Works very well, the crosshairs are not thick.
The crosshairs leave a gap toward the centre of the field so that you can align the scope and capture your object easily.
With the dollar high at the moment, the price has dropped to $99.
They are available in different colours.

John.:)

mikerr
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
There was this slightly negative comment on the opt site in case it matters....

Review Date: 11/15/2009
Reviewed By: Bob finder review
fit and looks are very good but it has one major issue. If you rotate the finder (which it is made to do the cross hair will not stay centered. So if you align this finder with your main scope, then if you rotate the finder at all the finder will no longer be aligned with the main scope. Since I got this to help with polar alignment with my LX200, this finder is almost usless for that function.

Michael

stevous67
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Michael, this is a slight draw back to someone who may rotate the finder, I’ll probably not do this. Thanks for pointing this out though.

I’ve looked around and this is still regarded as a superior finder [ie: Stellarvue 9 x 50 Deluxe Finder].

I have also now seen the Explorer Scientific finder – 8x50:
http://explorescientific.com/images/comet_hunter_8x50.jpg

It’s a similar price bracket, but with a straight through finder. There also is an internal prism to correct the orientation of the view.

Both the Stellarvue and the Explorer Scientific finders are what I am after, with alignment rings that look nicely made.

Thanks everyone for the assistance and to broaden my view on available finders. I’ll just have to order from the USA.

Cheers.

Steve

hotspur
07-05-2011, 09:39 PM
This looks good John,I notice the image you posted is an 'Orion 9 by 50',is that the one you bought from Andrews?,at $99 and if I can get on in white,and its an orion brand,I think I will get one.Orion gear is good.

Waxing_Gibbous
07-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Stellarvue here as well.
Also sold by "Astro-tech" with a slightly different diagonal.
Makes a great little spotter too.

ausastronomer
08-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Hi Steve,

I have the 9X50 Stellarvue Straight through illuminated reticle finder on my 14" SDM. The only difference to the RA finder is the diagonal. It's a very high quality finder, with a high quality mounting bracket. I have a 7X50 Antares RA finder (non illuminated) on my 18" Obsession and it's a very good finder of Japanese manufacture. Personally I think the Stellarvue finder is a slight grade above the Antares. They are both clearly superior when compared with the generic Chinese/Taiwanese finders, which themselves are quite good and very useable and serviceable.

Cheers,
John B

Jules76
08-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Another vote here for the Stellarvue. As you can see in my signature I've got the "big daddy" of their Finderscope range, the F80.

http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html

Awesome finderscope which doubles as my grab and go telescope (main reason for going with the F80).

It's pricey, but the quality of the Stellarvues are fanstastic and well worth it. I get great views not only with astronomy but with terrestrial viewing as well. Nice and clear viewing.

astronut
09-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Hi Chris,
Whilst the image says "Orion" it is identical to the Andrews Skywatcher. I used this image just for identification.
Orion, like other suppliers sources its product from one manufacturer.
Andrews only had a blue tube....I pulled it apart (very easy to do) and painted it black...much better.:)

TrevorW
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I have the 10 x 60 with both the right angle and straight through helical focuser options, the beauty of the SV is that it can take any EP you want and also will double as a guide scope if need be.

Pricey, yes but good quality

at one stage Peter at SDM was operating as an agent for SV, but i don't know if still is

Cheers