PDA

View Full Version here: : "copy" requests

Merlin66
07-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I feel strongly that the moderators should ensure that the forums do NOT encourage the copying of commercial software for use by others.
If individual members want to indulge in this type of actions it should be by PM messages NOT in the open forum.
Over to you.

janoskiss
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Good call, Scotty! And these emoticons should be banned in posts about acquiring software: ;) :whistle:.
:) (no not that last one, that's mine :P)

The way I look at it is that if you don't think a piece of software is worth its asking price, you do not need to use it. There are excellent free alternatives available for just about every application you can think of. But getting the one that is right for you does require a bit of research, trial and error, and maybe a bit more time reading installation instructions. So for me the choices are spending the big bucks or making the effort to find a free alternative. If it's too expensive, don't use it! This sends a strong message to the software company selling the product. Consider this quote from the man who knows how these things work:

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."
--- Bill Gates, 1999

iceman
07-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Acknowledged, thanks Merlin. I've usually discouraged open discussion of it, but I've also been guilty of it myself on one occassion.

I've removed the offending thread.

RB
07-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't know what the thread was or what it was about but I agree with Merlin and Steve that this practice is not appropriate.
I'm sure non of us would appriciate our Astro images to be copied(stolen) and used for gain (personal or business) by others without our permission.

Just my thoughts.
:)

janoskiss
07-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I just saw the "autostar" thread, and I guess this thread was prompted by that request. That is probably not exactly the sort of thing I posted about above, because this Meade software is needed to make the meade goto thing work (I know nothing about it but I presume that's how it works). I'm sure that if you own a Meade goto thing then you can get the software from Meade, if the license does not allow copying. :shrug:

EzyStyles
07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
it was mine thread. I purchased the DSI from h0ughy which Iceman had the DSI. The CD was lost for the DSI and i was assured that i will get a copy of the program which came along with it. So i request if anyone has a copy. I wasn't requesting warez/mp3's etc. My beliefs are if you own the DSI and the CD is missing, i dont see any harm requesting for it as you purchased and own it. Same goes if you own a digital camera and you lost the drivers to it, they'll send you another CD with the drivers so that you can use the camera.

RB
08-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Spot on Ezy
:thumbsup:

h0ughy
08-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Just to clear a few items up here, Ezystyles was assured that he would get this software, and that had been organised, so this level of desperation should not have happened. I do agree in principle to having a backup copy of original software just in case!

Starkler
08-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Merlin, the fact that a post has remained on the forum for some time does not necessarily mean that moderators give approval to such posts.

Its simply not possible for moderators to scan every post every day and members can assist by using the report bad post function. That is the red shield icon in the title bar of every post.

RB
08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks for clarifying the facts David. I know that a lot if not all software developers do allow the owner of the licence to make a backup copy of their software.

vindictive666
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
just my 2cents

just because youve bought a copy of software legally does not automatically mean you own it :)

read the license that comes with the software :)

ving
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I bought a camera (digital) secondhand from ebay (the only time i have ever been burnt by ebay) and expected the software drivers to come with it... the CD was missing when delivered and when questioned the seller said that the advert never stated the drivers were included (idiot). he was reported....
anyhow, I emailed the maker of said camera and they sent me a burnt copy of the disc the camera was supposed to have with it for free.

so in this instance i see no real problem if the item was supposed to have a disc and didnt have one.

breaching copyright is a no-no tho... i deal with it daily.

rochler
08-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I agree with the view that if you've legitimately bought the product you're entitled to the drivers that were originally supplied with it.

And anyhow, most of the licenses with software are just plain outrageous - what a load of bollox they are. If a car was 'software' the manufacturer would be able to tell you when you can drive it, what roads you can use (or not use), who can or can't travel with you, the radio would be tuned only to a station they want you to listen to, & if you lost the keys you would have to buy a whole new car. Also, if you didn't upgrade your car every time they fixed a 'bug' in it, then it wouldn't be supported any more. Hahahaha... what a joke! Get real man....

No one pays any regard to the licensing terms on software - you buy it & you use one copy at any time - full stop.

EzyStyles
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
in regards to copyright law, the government have/are changed/changing the rules as read in the papers a few weeks ago. You are now 'allow' to tape/copy movies/shows broadcasted from the TV. You are now 'allow' to copy MP3's for ipods if you have the original as a backup purpose. In anycase, i will be very surprised that each and everyone of us have bought ALL our software which are installed on our computers or that we NEVER have backup our originals. What are DVD/CD burners for? to backup your photo's??? pffftttttt...

I seriously don't think that we all walk a straight line ever since we were born. If you do, god bless.

ving
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
yeah, i back up my photos ;)

Merlin66
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I have no issue with "backing up" software by me for me.
My concern was with pirate copying to "benefit" others, which is still illegal.
....No more to say.....

RB
08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree with you John 100%.
We don't own the software.
We own a licence to use that said software on the computer which it's installed on.
Some manufactures allow a second copy to be placed on a laptop but you can only use one at a time.

EzyStyles
09-02-2006, 08:04 AM
To save any confusion, I have asked Meade personally about their Autostar Suite software. As I said, if you OWNED the DSI you have the right to the software as I hate to be labelled a pirate.

Dear Eric,
If you own the DSI you have the right to use the software that goes with it. Feel free to borrow your friends CD for that purpose. I hope you have many pleasant hours imaging objects you would not see otherwise.

Regards, Meade Engineering

-----Original Message-----
From: Ezy Styles [mailto:ezystyles@hotmail.com (http://by108fd.bay108.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=6CA07CEB-01B4-400E-8BEB-CCDD77D4FBEB&start=0&len=4978&src=&type=x&to=ezystyles@hotmail.com&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=e43eeb441a3a13913674e3f6e05f33958 1ea84fccd19c30a51f9e14184f6736e)]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:01 PM
To: engineer@meade.com
Subject: autostar suite

Hello,

I recently purchased a DSI but without the AutoStar Suite CD. My friend has
a DSI with the AutoStar Suite CD. Will I be able to get a copy off him
without breaching copyright law?

Many Thanks,

Eric

janoskiss
09-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Well done "Ezy". :thumbsup:

So Mike & Merlin, there was no "offending" thread in this instance, and anyone who got offended did so for no good reason. :P

iceman
09-02-2006, 08:39 AM
True in this case, however Merlin's comments are still relevant in a broader sense, as it has been an issue previously.

RB
09-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I agree Steve,
Well done guys.
Looking forward to seeing your images Ezy.

:thumbsup:

EzyStyles
09-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your support Steve and Andrew and your understanding Mike.

To backup more claim, you can view here from the fellows at AutoStar Suite also:

http://autostarsuite.net/forums/thread/4791.aspx
=================================== ==========
Hey Guys,
Lost Autostar Suite for my DSI. My friend has a DSI with Autostar Suite. Can I legitimately get a copy off him? I don't live in the State's so will be hard to contact Meade for one.
Thanks
=================================== ===================
Yes that is fine. The software is not copy-protected, and all update versions through update 3 were free. Note that while update 4 is sold for $9.95, you may download it free by joining the Meade 4M community at their website (you will find a link on the Meade home page).
Chuck
=================================== ===================

P.S: Mike what did you do with my OWNED pic? :D :D :D

iceman
10-02-2006, 05:48 AM
It was not appropriate, and neither was your comment to Merlin.

EzyStyles
10-02-2006, 08:11 AM
fair enough about the owned pic, i was answering his question that copying autostar suite is not illegal as what he claimed to be if you owned the DSI.

iceman
10-02-2006, 08:14 AM
You were attempting to rub his nose in it.

Plus, in none of Merlin's posts did he refer to you, or the DSI. As I said, Merlin's request/comments are relevant in general terms.