PDA

View Full Version here: : solar observing with a c14

icytailmark
04-05-2011, 11:52 PM
i know it can be done but what equipment do i need for my C14?

Merlin66
05-05-2011, 04:58 AM
If you want to do white light observing, the a Baader Solar film filter is the way to go. This can either be a full aperture filter or a sub-diameter filter.
The baader is 100% safe if fitted properly.

yusufcam
05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
just a tip about white light observing. I recently bought a small bosma refractor and it had a solar filter included in it.

baader filters are good but have found the bosma filter better. i've never seen granulation with the baader but have with the bosma filter and the umbra is a lot clearer.

not sure what the material is they use as it looks different to the baader filters, the coating is mirror reflective and the sun colour is white when viewed through it. my guess is its letting through slightly more light and thus detail.

if you can find out what it is and get a hold of it, it would be the way to go.

HA is a different story

mental4astro
05-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Here is a link on how to make a solar filter for a large diameter scope using the Baader Solar Observing film (http://www.baader-planetarium.com/sofifolie/bauanleitung_e.htm). These are the "sub-diameter" filter method.

The main thing to note is that the effective aperture for a solar scope shouldn't exceed 60mm! Otherwise, even with the film, you may still allow too much heat to build up within the scope, and too much light.

Ever noticed how dedicated solar scopes are not all that large in diameter?

Even the 'projection technique' can be done safely with a sub-diameter mask. But with the projection technique, use cheap, really, really cheap eyepieces, such a Huygens, or Ramsdens that come with cheap department store scopes. These a basic eyepieces that have few elements in them, and the elements are not guled to one another nor are they coated. Unfiltered sun light will kill good eyepieces. Projection technique is where you project the image of the sun from the eyepiece onto a screen, such as a sheet of paper.

I know I'd be preaching to the converted, but when you do any solar work, try to kurb the habit of using the finder scope. If solar work isn't big on your list, figure out another way of targeting the sun that doesn't involve using the finder. I came within a whisker of zapping my eyes the first time I set up a scope for solar work due to the finder. Keep this in mind.

yusufcam
05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
i keep the lens cap on the finder when taking it out to look at the sun for that reason, and use the scopes shadow to line it up, which takes a little practice

Paul Haese
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, sorry but that is not true. You can get any range of sizes for solar white light and Ha viewing. You can buy a Ha 200mm filter set from Lunt now. In the white light range there are filters for 14" SCT's by Thousand Oaks in glass.

I have seen home made filters made with film that have not created "too" much heat.

You can now buy a dedicated 8" solar scope from Lunt which was shown at NEAF.:)

mental4astro
05-05-2011, 10:00 AM
WOW! I didn't know that. Thanks Paul.

I'll stay with my sub diameter filter though. I don't do enough solar work to go larger with a diy filter. It's not a put down. Just these suit me now, :).

icytailmark
05-05-2011, 10:29 PM
can you see alot more detail on the sun with a solar scope vs a sct with a full aperture filter?

Paul Haese
05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
No problem Alex.

Mark, you are talking about two different views. One is white light and the other is Ha. Each will show different and beautiful aspects of views of the sun. Check out some threads of Dennis about a year ago. He did white light images with stunning detail in the active regions and also the granulation. Ha on the other hand gives other views, ones of magnetism. Just do a bit of search and decide for yourself what you want to do.:)

Merlin66
06-05-2011, 01:08 AM
I have a JMB white light full aperture solar filter for my 12" Lx200.
It certainly does not allow any heat to pass throught to the optics and when the seeing is absolutely perfect gives incredable views of the Sun.
Having said that my 4" Genesis with a Baader filter gives as good a result 95% of the time!! It all comes down to the local seeing conditions.
(You can wrap the OTA etc in aluminium foil to reduce the ambient heating...but it's still at the mercy of the conditions at the time.)
I also do Ha imaging with a SM60 and 88mm modded PST; the SM60 is very good, but under the right conditions the 88mm gives much better detail - aperture still is king!

icytailmark
09-05-2011, 11:53 AM
im thinking bout buying the thousand oaks off axis white solar filter. I want to get a nice setup for the venus transit next year. It will be for observing only.

mozzie
09-05-2011, 06:47 PM
i had one..on my 12" and it was fantastic to use you won;t go wrong...