PDA

View Full Version here: : Can't see pictures

DavidH
28-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone can set me straight here. Recently I can't download and view any of the images from IIS. I can see the thumbnails OK, but when I click on them, a window comes up with all the thumbnails from the post down the left hand side, and a blank main screen. This is happening with all images on the website, so I am guessing that it is a problem with the settings on my Internet Explorer.

I can see images OK with Google Chrome, but they display as individual images with Prev/Next buttons rather than with the thumbnails down the side.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me to solve this.

Thanks,
David.

iceman
28-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Hi David

If you're seeing the prev/next buttons in Chrome, it's probably because you're not logged in.

If you're logged in, you can set your profile to use the Enhanced Image Brower. Go here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
and it's right at the bottom.

If you're having the problem viewing any images in Internet Explorer, it's likely to be one of the following problems:
1. Popup being blocked
2. Javascript being blocked
3. Firewall blocking

It could be that you've got the security settings in IE too high.

Give those a try and let me know.

Rob_K
28-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Mike, it's of interest to me too. The same thing happens on my laptop, so I must check the settings. :thumbsup: I've never changed any settings and IE would be operating on default settings. Don't know if there might be a Windows 7 issue there too? Not a problem on my desktop with XP, also with IE on default.

Cheers -

DavidH
28-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks Mike,

I'll try to reply to your suggestions:

If you're seeing the prev/next buttons in Chrome, it's probably because you're not logged in.

Yes, If I log in with Chrome, all works as advertised.

If you're logged in, you can set your profile to use the Enhanced Image Brower. Go here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/p...do=editoptions
and it's right at the bottom.

That was set, and appears to be working OK, except not showing the large image in the main window.

If you're having the problem viewing any images in Internet Explorer, it's likely to be one of the following problems:
1. Popup being blocked

No indication of this. Have tried enabling popups to no avail. Will try again once this is posted.

2. Javascript being blocked

Not sure how to check this.

3. Firewall blocking

Chrome is working OK, so suspect that firewall is not the culprit.

It could be that you've got the security settings in IE too high.

Have dropped from Medum-High to Medium without result.

In reply to Rob K's post, this machine is running W7, so that is a common point.

Edit - When loaded, the main image window shows "Loading" in the top left hand corner. This disappears, leaving no apparent image in the window. However, if I move the mouse to the bottom couple of pixels in the image window, there appears to be an image artifact present, and the mouse cursor changes to a 4 headed arrow. While the mouse is in this area, the navigation box in the top right hand of the window shows itself with a LH and RH arrow and a "1 of 2" type indicator to show which image should be displayed. So my guess is that the image data is being downloaded, but somehow corrupted or misinterpreted and not displaying properly.

Regards,
David.

Screwdriverone
28-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi David,

I experienced this problem a while ago....

The problem is that you have the ZOOM function on IE set above 100%.

To check this, go to the view menu, toolbars and make sure the status bar is ticked (bar at the bottom of the window), if its off, tick it.

Look at the magnifying glass at the bottom right and click on it (or the drop down arrow) and set the zoom to 100%.

The built in image browser here doesnt like the zoom factor above ( I think 125%), if it is set higher than normal, you get the problem you describe.

Give that a go, I am pretty sure its what the issue is....the zoom is activated when you press the CTRL button and the scroll wheel are used at the same time....so you can accidentally set the zoom up without knowing it....

Cheers

Chris

DavidH
29-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks Chris,

You are absolutely right. Zoom was set to 125%. Setting back to 100% restored the situation. I'm afraid I could have stumbled about in the dark trying to find this for ages...

Hopefully this will help someone else who encounters the same problem.

Regards,
David H.

iceman
29-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks Chris - very interesting.

I'll let Terry know.

Glad it's now sorted, David.

Screwdriverone
29-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Glad I could help. ;)

Cheers

Chris