PDA

View Full Version here: : NGC7320's tidal tail

irwjager
26-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

I was working on an image from a ST user from the UK. He had been imaging Stephan's Quintet (HCG 92/Arp 319) and I did a repro for him. The repro brought out a faint but distinct tidal tail that seemingly stretched all the way to another smaller galaxy NGC7320c.

I wanted to be sure it wasn't an artifact (the data was noisy), so I did a quick google for similar images. It appears there are virtually none that push their data to reveal a tail. Except for an image that I found here (http://www.electric-cosmos.org/arp.htm) (about half way down the page). I was stunned to find this image as it seemed like an exact replica (minus noise) of the one I was working on.

Now, the page that this 'sister image' resides on is about supposed flaws in the redshift theory, owing to NGC7320's markedly different redshift value versus the rest of the galaxies, yet seemingly being part of Stephan's cosmic pile up. Controversies aside, I was wondering if anyone here has ever observed a similar tidal tail, or better, this same 'connection' to NGC7320c?

Cheers,