PDA

View Full Version here: : Bluetooth GPS - Glad I didn't chuck it out

Screwdriverone
23-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi All,

In a moment of temporary clarity, I was contemplating some things in my set up as I was browsing the web for a Synscan GPS module for my HEQ5 pro.

The idea is to fine tune the location details wherever I am by using the GPS module connected to the mount to set the exact location for me...was looking on the web and found one for $149...cool...nice birthday present - astro too!

Then from somewhere in the grey matter in the back of my mind I remembered I had an old Bluetooth module from my GPS in a phone app when I had an XDA mobile. A quick rummage around the old junk bin from my car and voila! my old GPS module and 12v car plug adaptor!

Well, since my astro laptop has bluetooth on it and I use EQMOD to connect to the scope AND I remember seeing the little satellite dish icon in EQMOD, I powered up the GPS off the powertank, connected it via bluetooth to the lappy, ran EQMOD and BAM! GPS coordinates into my PC! SCHWEET! :D

So, instead of buying a $149 module to do the same thing, I now have a FREE GPS connection to the laptop whenever I want it to pinpoint my location when I connect the HEQ5.....!

AWESOME!

Glad I am in the habit of keeping electronic bits and pieces that may come in handy someday, much to the chagrin of the missus...

Gave myself a nice little birthday pat on the back as a present, now may have a tipple of JB Black as a reward!

I'm so chuffed, I felt like sharing....

Cheers

Chris