PDA

View Full Version here: : Drop-in Zambuto replacements for imported scopes

Sabir
18-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi All :)

Though I lurke around this wonderful place quite often, this is my first post here :)

I had started a similar thread on Cloudynights and thought our friends down under would also find this info useful. Here's the link to the ongoing thread on CN:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/reflectors/Number/4489836/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

To give y'all a brief intro to the thread, Zambuto Optical Company is starting a special run of precision annealed BK7 mirrors with the following specifications and pricing:

200 mm BK7 1200 mm focal length (F/6) $695.00 with trade in of primary mirror for recycling. Price includes free test of secondary mirror. (This offer is 30% off pricing of similar size custom one-each Pyrex/Supremax primary at 8" diameter)

250 mm BK7 1200 mm focal length (F/4.8) $895.00 with trade in of primary mirror for recycling. Price includes free test of secondary mirror. (This offer is 36% off pricing of similar size custom one-each Pyrex/Supremax primary at 10" diameter)

300 mm BK7 1500 mm focal length (F/5) $1,195.00 with trade in of primary mirror for recycling. Price includes free test of secondary mirror. (This offer is 39% off pricing of similar size custom one-each Pyrex/Supremax primary at 12.5" diameter)

These would be drop-in replacements for mass produced scopes and would have 100% Zambuto quality, performance, and guarantee. To add to this, they would be available at a significant discount as compared to ZOC's custom one-each Supremax mirrors of equivalent size! IMHO, it doesn't get better than this! ;)

hope this helps! :)

Sabir

Waxing_Gibbous
18-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Already on it.... :D
Ta!

koputai
18-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Sabir, you don't run an Indian glass pushing operation do you?

Cheers,
Jason.

Sabir
19-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Hi Jason,....would I be in line for a Zambuto Spiegel if I did? ;)

It's just that while I had my Orion XT10i, I always dreamt of someday having a Zambuto mirro in my tricked out scope but the cost was prohibitive for me at that point in time as Carl did not have this offering back then.

I assume that there would be quite a few people like myself looking to squeeze out the maximum they possibly can from a given aperture while keeping the cost a low as possible. This offering from Carl provides exactly such an opportunity, so I'm really happy and excited about this development....just thought I'd spread the joy around :)

Sabir

erick
19-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Perhaps, one day. I hope Carl keeps these lines going.

dannat
19-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Does anyone have a link for purchasing such a mirror:confused2:

Peter perhaps we can do a group order & save some post ;)

koputai
19-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I wasn't poo-pooing, I think it's a great idea, as long as the quality is there and they are not just outsourcing these extra mirrors from a cheap contractor.

Cheers,
Jason.

Sabir
19-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Daniel,

Here’s ZOC’s website: http://zambutomirrors.com/ (http://zambutomirrors.com/) You can find the contact details there.

As this offering is a recent development, I don’t think the website has been updated. I made the post based on Carl Zambuto’s announcement of this undertaking on the Yahoo Zambutomirror group

Hope this helps! :)

Sabir

Sabir
19-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Hi Jason,

I believe you may have a misunderstanding regarding the quality of mirror we are talking about here. For those who are interested, I thought I'd post this link which shows what a Zambuto mirror looks like under a bench test.

Zambuto Test Results (http://www.astro-foren.de/showthread.php?t=9233).

Even though the website is in German, you will have no difficulty in understanding why Zambuto mirrors are so sought after!

FWIW, the gentleman who ordered this mirror from Carl sent it over for testing to Wolfgang Rohr without Carl being aware about it. As a result, this is a pretty good estimation of what a typical Zambuto mirror would look like under the bench.

Carl has unequivocally stated that these mirrors would be identical in performance to his custom Supremax mirrors and will be backed by a 100% Zambuto quality, performance, and guarantee.

Please see ZOC's website and the The Seven Criteria (http://zambutomirrors.com/zambutoopticalca.html) for optical performance. All mirrors leaving ZOC are crafted to meet all 7 criteria and the drop-in mirrors will be no different.

Ultimately, when you buy a 'premium' optic, you're buying reputation and Carl's reputation is second to none.

Sabir

DavidU
20-04-2011, 09:19 AM
That's a great idea, however we have a world class mirror maker here as well. I would rather get a Mark Suchting (Sachmo) mirror made or re figured right here in Aust.

GrahamL
20-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Does anyone else see this service as quite expensive ?

In that double freight from our side of the pond is going to push that
$1200 with our supplied glass , upwards pricewise towards an already fine annealed substrate that will likely be thermally a better performer .