PDA

View Full Version here: : Transporting Big Dob

Ritchey01
16-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi guys,
I bought a 22" mirror on Astromart a couple of years ago and I've just had an Astrosystems obsession style mount made and delivered. It's too big for my station wagon and I was planning to get a covered trailer to transport it. What would be the best way to fit out the trailer to stop things moving around?

Rodstar
17-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi Julian,

I had two U-bolts welded to the inside front corners of my trailer. On my SDM telescope I have a split wheelbarrow handle system. This allows me to leave the front ends of the wheeling system on the scope, providing two tie-points to secure the scope to the U-bolts. This system works very well, meaning there is never any movement of the scope in the trailer.

I would never put my scope in the trailer, though, if I was driving through rough off-road driving. I am happy to have the scope in the trailer if the driving is 99% surfaced roads, not otherwise. I have heard stories of people cracking their mirrors when doing rough off-road driving with their large mirrors in their trailers. In my instance, I am lucky to have a boot large enough to hold the primary mirror box (2010 Odyssey), so that is where the scope goes if I am going dirt road driving!

Always put a tarp over the trailer. I had my mirror box blow off early when I wasn't covering the trailer! I also realised how quickly the weather can change, and then everything gets wet!

I also had the trailer-maker provide me with some ramps. Without them, there is no way I could get the scope into the trailer without the aid of another adult. In Sydney, Mario's Trailers are very price competitive, and I have been happy with the trailer they supplied to me.

Good luck with your plans.

Ritchey01
18-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Thank you Rod, that's triggered many useful thoughts. And if 'The Mary Rose' is anything to go by, you speak with authoritative experience. It's very colourful too compared with my drab scope. :)