PDA

View Full Version here: : Photoshop CS4 fails to install in Win7

gregbradley
16-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I have Photoshop CS4 and I tried installing it on my Win 7 Ultimate 64 laptop. I already have CS2 installed on it. It seems to install ok but when I try to start the program I get an error message about application components missing and to reinstall. I reinstalled a couple of times and get the same error message.

Any suggestions?

Greg.

multiweb
16-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Win7 is not in the OS list in the system requirements as far as I can tell. CS5/extended is and has also 64bit support. CS5.5 is around the corner and is also supported.

mithrandir
16-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Run it in a VM? That's how SWMBO runs her old MS Office version.

Octane
16-04-2011, 04:22 PM
CS4 works fine for me in Windows 7 64-bit.

H

acropolite
17-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Ditto what Humayan said, I have CS4 running on win7 64 & Vistla 64 bit prior to that, I had to right click on the setup and select "run as administrator" before CS4 would load and run correctly. I needed to do this even though my user account has full administrator privileges.. Depending on the release version once installed you may need to download some updates as well.

Hagar
17-04-2011, 06:48 AM
A lot of software suffers an error during install on Windows 7 64 bit. I have found that in most cases the install will work if you change a simple setting.

Open Control Panel.
Open Users
Change User access control setting to off or as low as possible.
Install software
If required return access control to normal.

This seems to work for most problems I have. It's usually just a security problem.

gregbradley
17-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try Dougs tip.

I have it running on another Win 7 64 lappie so I know it will install. I've tried installing as Adminstrator etc. I am not sure if I tried to install with
UAC turned off. I probably did, but its worth another go.

Cheers,

Greg.

multiweb
17-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Cool. If you run it as admin make sure you install it for 'all users on this machine' so you can switch back and forth between profiles. I had some programs that will go in trial mode again if run as admin when they were installed under my normal profile as 'for this user only' although the default profile has admin privileges too. This UAC is tricky. Something else to watch for.

gregbradley
17-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the tip Marc.

So far I tried to reinstall with UAC set low. No difference. But I had some other programs running so I should retry and remove the original install as well first.

Greg.

CDKPhil
18-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Should have got a Mac :)

Cheers
Phil

multiweb
18-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Sometime you get to a rogue state in your installation and it doesn't uninstall properly. There was an MSI cleaner I used on XP that doesn't run on Win7. Failing that you'll need to do a quick search in the registry, delete a few keys then reboot and try again. I use a program called Registry Mechanic. Used it for years, since Win2000. Works a treat.

h0ughy
18-04-2011, 05:23 PM
disable and disconnect physically from the net. Next disable all virus and spam functions you are running. then run the setup as administrator. If this fails you have got a corrupt file on your system somewhere that the installation maybe writing to. Disable UAC