PDA

View Full Version here: : Some computer help please

leon
14-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi guys, hopefully someone could help with a computer problem my daughter has, I can't help her as I'm still in WA, but maybe some advice from some experienced computer person here could be helpful.

The machine will start and come up to the welcome screen and waits till you type in the password, which she dose, and that is it, the machine will go no further. :shrug:

Any Ideas why this may be occurring, and some advice on how to fix the problem would be much appreciated.

She is running Windows XP, and it has been installed for about 3 years

Many Thanks. :thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

Barrykgerdes
15-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Hi Leon
The computer is probably trying to load a corrupt driver.
The first thing to do is go get her to start with the F8 key pressed and from the menu select "safe mode" and see if it will start this way. If it does you are half way there. Tell her to unload the last program she installed. If it does not turn the computer off (crash it) and restart. This time it will run chkdsk and this time it may find your trouble.

This failing start again with the F8 key and from the menu select " last known good" This may work also
Try some of these it may get you going again.

Barry

leon
15-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks Barry I will ring her and try your suggestions.

Leon

Exfso
16-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Another option is to run system restore and go back a couple of days before the problem started. Obviously you will probably have to get her to start in safe mode as well to be able to access the system restore.

leon
16-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Peter, we are working on it by phone shortly.

Leon