PDA

View Full Version here: : Ebony Star - help needed in aquiring some

Ian Smith
14-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Evening all,
Brand new to this forum recommended to me by Peter Marples for those who know him.

My son and I are in the process of building a 10" Dobsonian and the current stumbling block is the much touted "Ebony Star" (plug that into google for some distinctly non-astronomical sites:eyepop:)

So, I am asking for your collective assistance in sourcing enough to service my needs.

We are located near Beenleigh SE Qld if that's any help but postage is no object

Many thanks in advance

Ian

RickS
14-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I bought a large sheet (more than a decade ago) from a laminex supplier in Stafford, Brisbane. Unfortunately, I threw what was left of it away when we moved house a few years ago. Call around and hopefully you'll find some...

Cheers,
Rick.

Waxing_Gibbous
14-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Try Ringwood Laminates in Ringwood, Vic.
Sorry, I don't have the website to hand.

erick
14-04-2011, 11:11 PM
You don't need much. If you can find a big kitchen maker, they may have scrap you can buy. Got mine from Ringwood Laminates back in 2007.

But I wasn't sure that it is still available? But there are a few laminates that are much the same texture.

But I've attached a few shots of a sample and the exact catalogue number, if that helps.

erick
14-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Here you go Ian, make that favourable exchange rate work for you!

http://www.suntactics.com/EbonyStar/

Rod
14-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi Ian,

For your altitude bearings an excellent alternative is the nylon strapping used to tie up loads of wood at lumbar yards. You should be able to pick some up for nothing. It's the right thickness already too.

Other laminates work well, so I would just try and get something with a slightly pebbly texture for the azimuth bearing. Even smooth laminate will work OK.

Rod.

Ian Smith
15-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Gents,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Waxing, I did call Ringwood Laminates but , wouldn't you know it , they've just had a big clean-up :(.

Erik, thank you for that link - I was aware of that site and what seemed like a last resort may end up being the only option.

Rod, I was leaning towards the 150mmm PVC pipe cap and teflon for the altitude bearings.
If the tape you mention is, I presume, the moving surface, what are your stationary surfaces? Teflon?
I've done a bit of search, not extensive yet , but it seems the textured laminates are out of style - only very subtle patterning these days - still I'll keep looking and am open to any suggested alternatives.

RickS...what can I say....*tsk*

Ian

Rod
15-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Rod, I was leaning towards the 150mmm PVC pipe cap and teflon for the altitude bearings.
If the tape you mention is, I presume, the moving surface, what are your stationary surfaces? Teflon?
Ian[/QUOTE]

Hi Ian, yes Teflon for the stationary surface. PVC endcaps will work ok too but I find PVC a little stiff.

The other option is to use a smooth laminate and a combination of roller bearings and one or two Teflon pads. I did that before I motorized my mount and was very happy with the result.

Rod.

Greenswale
15-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Ian,

I had great alt results using PVC end caps and small square self adhesive furniture slidey things from Bunnings. The self adhesive tape fitted to the slidey things had the added advantage of taking up any slight inaccuracy in mounting. Two to each alt bearing.

Wonderful smooth movement, and just the right amount of stiction.

RickS
16-04-2011, 08:49 AM
ScopeStuff has Ebony Star bearing kits: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ldxx.htm

Ian Smith
18-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Folks,

Thank you all for your replies.

I think that the reality of it is that it's about time to come up with an alternative.

From the two US sites mentioned in this thread the cost of the bare minimum of the "magic" stuff is around $50-$60 US mark and then add to that a quoted postage of $30 and upward and it's entering the realms of the "Tell 'im he's dreamin' !! "

I have located half a sheet in Parbury's Tasmania, and according to the lass at the Nudgee plant it's the last piece in Oz!!
To get it up here to the Sunshine state is going to set me back $290 (material and cartage).

I'd never get that past the Chancellor of the Exchequer :)

Ian