PDA

View Full Version here: : Android App - S&T SkyWeek coming

Omaroo
03-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Based on S&T SkyWeek for iOS - and the underlying engine being provided by SouthernStars (SkySafari), the Android version is hitting imminently.

AstroJunk
07-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Is it any good?

Omaroo
07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't have Android, so I couldn't tell you if it was any different to the iOS version. As an iOS app, it's pretty basic, given the sheer number of iOS astronomy apps. Given the shortage of Android equivalents, it's probably pretty good.

AstroJunk
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
:lol::lol::lol: Spoken like a true fanboi. Made my day :lol::lol::lol:

Omaroo
07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I thought that we agreed knock off the jibes in here - it's a condition under which Mike agreed to provide this forum. I gave some heads-up advice for Android users and didn't expect to be derided for it. Fanboi? Whatever you reckon.

One day, astro-relevant app numbers will catch up for Android - I've no doubt of that. How good they'll be is anyone's guess. My company, as a software development company operating within the newspaper and magazine publishing market, will not be looking at developing anything for Android until they have sorted out the mess. It may be a reason why there are four times the number of iOS developers currently registered over their Android counterparts. Comparatively few operate in both arenas simultaneously. Phone sales may have caught up, but not the sheer number of apps or the app development pipeline.

Good example: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/131232/20110406/google-android-fragmentation-honeycomb-android-compatibility-apple-ios-android-market-apps-store-ama.htm

I'm not flaming Android - it is great for what it is - a near-free open source environment that suits many, many people. Hopefully you guys will get a fair share of developers who give a toss about astronomy - creating apps that are as good as those on iOS for you one day soon.

AstroJunk
07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
:rofl::rofl:It's the assertation that It's good for an Android because we poor droid users have so little to play with and therefore our our expectations are accordingly low. C'mon, you got to admit thats funny!