PDA

View Full Version here: : IE9 is out.

Tandum
03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Internet Explorer 9 has been in public beta for quite some time and it now in release and available for download from micro$oft.

It's definately faster than 8 and looks a bit like Google Chrome I think.

MikeyB
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM
IE9 looks a LOT like Chrome, as does Firefox 4. It's good to see how competition for users is rapidly driving browser development forward: Chrome is already at V10!

supernova1965
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Didn't like chrome don't like Explorer but I love the new Firefox

bartman
04-04-2011, 02:20 AM
I guess "ie9 is out" is the comment de jour..... Firefox is "go" !!!!

Bartman

MrB
04-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Yeah and they all look like Opera.. it was the first that I noticed to have the current 'look', could be wrong. Never realy paid much attention other than "oh hey, it looks like..."

It's a shame FireFox4 didn't 'borrow' Opera's speed-dial too.. love that feature.

Zaps
04-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Yes, when it comes to web browsers, there's Opera and then there's all the rest. :thumbsup:

vindictive666
04-04-2011, 06:52 AM
i use ff 4 and opera ff4 can use a lot of cpu whiles opera does not

ie9 prangs on my windoze 7 64 bit just as ie 8 did comes up

with progarm has stopped responding look on the internet blah blah

gave up on 9 and 8 just use opera and ff4 now

regards john

MikeyB
04-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I too run Win7 64-bit, but despite selecting IE9 64-bit as my download, found that MS Update automatically set up both IE9 32-bit AND 64-bit on my system but then defaulted to the 32-bit version! (This might be what caused your problem, John.) Trust Microsoft to get some things right and still get other key things wrong.

YouTube seems to be a non-starter under IE9 64-bit too - site asks for a Flash upgrade but the Adobe download won't run. You'd think MS would have learnt by now to solve any problems for popular sites before releasing a major "upgrade".

vindictive666
04-04-2011, 08:19 AM
hi

how did you find out what version you are running ?

regards john

MikeyB
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
To identify 64-bit IE9, first click Help then select "About Internet Explorer", to get an info box like the attached screenshot. If it doesn't specifically say "64-bit" alongside the version number (as in my screenshot), you are running the 32-bit version.

vindictive666
04-04-2011, 09:31 AM
hi

for some reason IT decided to install the 32 bit how to install the 64bit and i dont think i will bother :)

regards john

vindictive666
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
no idea if i am running 64 bit ie9 or 32 bit the only thing different is the product id everything els is the same even the version number
i even uninstalled it twice and reinstalled it twice go figure
i made sure i downloaded the 64bit version from 2 different ms sites

in other words i give up !!!!!

flamin windoze lol

regards john

Barrykgerdes
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I tried the beta version on my Vista computer, It doesn't work on XP.
After about 1/2 hr the installation was completed (oh yeah). I now could not get the internet at all from IE. Luckily Firefox still worked perfectly.

I decided to unload IE9. No way it does not unload. I eventually got rid of it. But I could no longer re-install IE8 or IE7. Also my restore points had disappeared.

Luckily I had a back up image and could get my computer back operational with IE7.

IE9. No thanks I will stick with firefox.

Hotmail is also poor these days. It now has so many ads that when I click on options to select a second account I have to wait a few seconds before I click because the panel slides up 1 notch if you are too quick and you accidently click on the ad. That means wait till it loads so you can cancel it.

Barry

vindictive666
04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
hiya

yes i know about xp theyve said that a long time before ie9 came out that it would not be compatible with xp

as i said i give up on ie 9 :)

regards john

MrB
04-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Can bet that is a known 'problem' that they won't fix ;)
Maybe I'm just too cynical? :lol:

Jules76
13-04-2011, 12:09 PM
It's not Microsoft's fault. The reason why 32 bit IE is used by default is simply because of the various plugin's, active x controls etc that are out there, not many support 64 bit. Hence if you exclusively used the 64 bit browser, you would find yourself running into problems such as you have found. Flash Player, which is required for You Tube, is one of them.

Taken from a Microsoft IE Team Q&A:

From what I understand, Adobe now have a "preview" release of 64 bit Flash Player. But of course "preview" is often a nicer word used for "Beta" so expect it to be buggy.

It's the developers which need to catch up and fully support 64 bit.

iceman
13-04-2011, 12:17 PM
When I installed Windows 7 on my Toshiba laptop I had the option of 32 or 64 bit Windows.

I chose 32 bit, and almost regretted it at first, thinking 64 bit would run faster.

However I'm glad I chose 32 bit now, since a lot of applications and devices just seem to have trouble with 64 bit.

Though it would be nice to have faster image processing @ 64bit :(

vindictive666
13-04-2011, 12:20 PM
hi

i run windows 64 bit and havent had hassles with any particular program yet :) fingers crossed

regards john

iceman
13-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Except IE9 :)

mithrandir
13-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Which includes Microsoft. Any even numbered M$ fixpack is a beta test. Initial releases are just FP0.

vindictive666
13-04-2011, 12:45 PM
got that figured as well mine does not like to run 32 bit ie 9 ?

no probs so far with ie 9 64 bit ?

regards john

Jules76
13-04-2011, 09:42 PM
There really is no real reason not to go 64 bit thesedays. Windows 7 64 bit is a lot more robust when it comes to backwards compatibility with older 32 bit applications. I'm yet to have any real issues with older 32 bit programs and I've been running 64 bit since Vista. Only thing I did have a problem with was a lack of 64 bit driver for my old Canon LBP3000 laser printer. But believe it or not, Canon FINALLY came to the party and released a driver last year! It only took them what, 4-5 years since Vista 64 bit, more if you count Windows XP 64 bit. :lol:

multiweb
13-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I agree with that. I'm in the process of moving a lot of legacy programs to Win7 64 and it runs everything. Even ancient programs from 8yrs ago. The new stuff flies. I have all my Astro stuff on it, CCDStack, Photoshop., etc... It's lightning fast. I also run two legacy WinXP pro 32bit as VMs. So far so good. They actually run faster as VM on the hardware than on the old boxes. I run an I7 950 with 24GB of RAM and 3x1TB HD. Plenty to play with.

iceman
14-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Good to hear, I might upgrade in the future.

gregbradley
14-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes I agree Wins 7 is a lot better than Vista and no major probs with it. Althought for some odd reason I could get Photoshop CS 4 to install on it. I have a 2nd laptop that is also wins 7 and it installed in that one. Who knows.

IE 9 seems worse. It is supposed to be faster but I have found several times now it is way way slow.

Also they removed the little green progress bar at the bottom of the page. Know you don't know how long it is going to take to do something.

Often its the little changes to good features that makes you not want to upgrade.

It may have features that are better but I have not seen that yet. Perhaps more for the HD live chat people if video chat is your thing.

Greg.

AdrianF
17-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I have installed IE9 on my 64 bit Win7 machine. Don't know whether it is a coincidence but I have had nothing but trouble since. My AutoCad stopped working with fatal errors, the PC won't always startup and when it does most of the programs won't respond. They start ok but then nothing..... I have tried to restore to earlier configuration but no luck as the only restore point is 30 mins after I installed IE9.

I can see what my day as in store for me today......yay

Adrian

gregbradley
17-04-2011, 08:23 AM
I'd say Microsoft's days as number 1 are running out. This is just another product in a long string of failures. They're started losing the plot with Vista and their claims of improved and faster performance are simply not what I am experiencing. My internet browsing is now hugely slower. Clicking on back key is very slow to respond. Images take a lot longer to download. Going to a page is about 10X slower. This is all on a lightning fast 64bit I7 lappie with Win 7 ultimate and 8gb RAM.

Hopefully their failures to deliver means up and coming software companies get a look in to develop and sell competing systems.

Greg

multiweb
17-04-2011, 09:23 AM
I think MS is pretty safe for a while still ;) I've noticed a slight drop in performance with IE9 too but no major problem. It's more like chrome now with docking bars, etc... I like the interface a lot better.

AdrianF
17-04-2011, 09:35 AM
When I reinstall Win7 64bit today I am not going to allow IE9 "upgrade" to happen.
Just turned on my PC and it took nearly 5 mins to load and the first thing I did was check email and you guessed it " Not Responding"

Adrian

multiweb
17-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Make sure you do an image of your boot drive on an external drive. There are two partitions C: and 100MB of hidden partition. Ideally they should be on the same drive and on the first drive that loads in your BIOS sequence. If you reinstall windows it is possible your boot partition might not end up on the same drive. Then you'll be fine and covered should you wish to go back to a previous working system. I use Acronis True image and Acronis Disk Director to resize or move partitions from one physical drive to another. Works a treat on Win7 too.

AdrianF
17-04-2011, 06:57 PM
As it happens I don't think it was the upgrade. I changed the Hdd for a 1TB up from 500Gb and now the pc won't start. Fans work power led doesn't nor the rest of the pc.

Looks like ps problem. Might explain the ticking noise I been listening to the last few weeks. I have a spare 460W ps but the one that died was 750.

The other thing is we had 3 brownouts within 2 mins last night.

Adrian

Octane
17-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Mac OS X. :whistle:

H

AdrianF
17-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Changed the ps and still no pc. Not a beep out of it. Looks like new board/CPU so will be pcless for awhile.

Adrian

Tandum
20-04-2011, 07:41 PM
This ie9 is definately flawed. Lots of problems while editing threads in forums and if you go to google maps, start typing a street name, a list of possibilities pops up. Click on one and it is not selected, nothing happens. Try again M$.