PDA

View Full Version here: : Review: Astronomy Technology 8" F/4 Astrograph

iceman
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Paul Temple has kindly written a review of the Astronomy Technology 8" F/4 Astrograph.

You can read the review in the IceInSpace Equipment Reviews (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/reviews.html) section, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Astronomy Technology 8" F/4 Astrograph (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-631-0-0-1-0.html).

Thanks to Paul for writing the review. If you'd like to contribute an article or review to IceInSpace, please read Write for IceInSpace (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/write-for-iceinspace.html) and get in touch!

iceman
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Review uploaded.

peeb61
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
I too have taken the plunge and recently purchased an 8inch f/4 Astrograph and Paul Temple's report is spot on, mine is the Bintel version.

Optics with the Baader Coma Corrector are pleasantly sharp to the edges, the 10.1 focuser is solid and handles the camera well, scope weighs around 8kgs, guidescope around 4kg plus camera and other gear totals around 14kg all up. My EQ6 sails around with it all. (Even room on top for the coffee maker)

Now to get used to the EQ6 and I'm away!

Paul

phxbird
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I should have mentioned that if you have a DSLR or just a lighter camera then the focuser works well. The ST-7 with a CFW-8 Filter wheel with filters is a pretty hefty load to lift! So the added step of locking the focusing tube between focusing is a pain but necessary. Still and all it works and works well!

Marios
03-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys

I own the F5 version of this scope and it is also a brilliant performer.
I would recommend the the F5 on the basis it is a good balance between visual and astrophotography.

My only Cons with the F5, I can only reach focus with a DSLR directly connected with a 2" adapter and then there isnt much forward focus.
Planets will require a 2 inch eyepiece to be photographed such as the Baader.

Hope this helps for the undecided.:hi:

Star Hunter
11-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Nothing beats a Takahashi Epsilon ED 180 F2.8 and a Canon 60Da on a Titan 50 mount...dig, dig..

Astroman
11-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Oops a little late seeing this one, Good little review Paul, I have just bought the BT-200 which is basically the same unit.

Only gripe with it so far is the collimation knobs at the back of the scope. I am thinking I am going to have to modify this part of the scope pretty soon. I know this is a budget sort of scope, but the design looks to be rush drawn on a piece of toilet paper. The whole mirror mount assembly looks like it need beefing up a bit, springs replaced and oh boy those mirror locking knobs, why are they the same size and shape as the collimation knobs? Anyway, other than this I think it's a pretty good scope, my HEQ5Pro handles it with ease and although my skywatcher finderguider doesn't exactly fit the mount it still holds reasonably well, but this is not a design fault by GSO I suspect.

I am still very much getting to know this scope, but so far I am very happy with it's performance, as a budget scope. 8 out of 10 GSO.