PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion Optics AG12 setup and ready for business

strongmanmike
27-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I finally got her set up in her temporary test facility..Mums place :D

All balanced and ready to go, in these pictures she is well balanced across about 90% of the sky, I need some more weights though (note the ankle weights strapped to the counterweight :whistle:)

I have created another album and I will place photos of my testing sessions and the resulting test images here...she certainly looks good..?.. :love:

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/ag12_testing

I still need to collimate and fit and route the heater cables but....bring on the clear wether :prey: :thumbsup:

This is all portable (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/133460189/original)too :help:

Mike

MrB
27-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Where is the drool emoticon?

jenchris
27-03-2011, 11:21 PM
whoa!- that's a mighty rig

DavidU
27-03-2011, 11:26 PM
What an awesome bit of kit ! I can't wait to see some images.
Congratulations Mike !

marc4darkskies
27-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Oooooo, that was close! I was about to give you stick for not reporting progress in a timely manner! ;)

Looking good there mate ... but watch out, you may have a few showers heading your way tonight. I went outside a half hour ago and saw stars AND felt rain at the same time!!! Hey, forget the new weights and get yourself a pink mount :D.

strongmanmike
27-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I have the leg warmers ready ;), Lets get physical, physical...

marc4darkskies
27-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I have disturbing images running through my head right now :eyepop:

Octane
27-03-2011, 11:58 PM
That looks formidable.

Congratulations, mate.

H

h0ughy
28-03-2011, 12:00 AM
you were game setting it up in the weather we are having Mr Sidonio. I wish you luck for future testing

strongmanmike
28-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh yeah, I had one eye on the sky the whole time, I was only interested in getting her setup and balanced, just wanted a feel for her in her new (temporary) home to leave more time when I finally do get to sit at the laptop :thumbsup:

Mike

strongmanmike
28-03-2011, 12:42 AM
:p

Octane
28-03-2011, 12:55 AM
roflllllllllllllllll

H

Hagar
28-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Looking the goods but hopefully we can see a nice star test in the very near future.
You must be chaffing at the bit, Inow I would be.

Please remove the image with the leg warmers. I nearly threw up and stopped reading. Frightening thought.

SkyViking
28-03-2011, 09:16 AM
That rig looks fantastic Mike! :D
The last image is just.... well... scary! LOL :eyepop::help:

DavidTrap
28-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Looks very impressive Mike.

The trials and tribulations of the portable astro-imager. After a successful test night on Saturday, I spent Sunday morning sorting out the wiring loom for my rig. I have bundled up all the data cables on one side of the mount and the power cables on the other side. The data cables run down to a box under the mount where I have a powered hub. Then there is just one USB cable back to my laptop. The wiring looms roll up inside the box, meaning that they just pull up and attach to the side of the scope and everything comes off at the right point to plug into the scope controller, robofocus, camera, autoguider, focus motor, etc. Hopefully will save me 10+mins with cabling during setup & tear-down.

In the attached image, the power is on the left, data on the right. Haven't seen any interference from bundling yet.

DT

mozzie
28-03-2011, 10:57 AM
looking good mike...a wonderful setup.. i nearly dropped the laptop when i seen you with the leg warmers:rofl::rofl:..your mum's back yard looks like there's plenty of room for a dome ;);)

strongmanmike
28-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes I am getting a little edgy and impatient, but the weather has been so fickle I have been reluctant to have everything out..you know, new scope, can't get wet or dusty, kid gloves etc :P

Dave that looks very ergonomic, nice, will have to think about some of those ideas myself :question:

Pete, yes my mums backyard would be perfect for an observatory but apart from maybe narrowband work a 12" F3.8 astrograph would be utterly wasted under the strong light pollution...I tried to get mum to move out to dark skies :D...but she wouldn't do it :doh:.

Mike

gregbradley
28-03-2011, 02:25 PM
This Friday looks promising at this early stage per the weather forecast for Sydney.

Greg.

strongmanmike
28-03-2011, 02:48 PM
I'll be at SPSP :sadeyes:...which is still cool though :)

Mike

marc4darkskies
28-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I know what you mean by edgy and impatient - I've had my mount since January and still no imaging done!

The forecast for SPSP looks good right now so that will be a nice consolation :prey: You could always bring that black beauty up with you - you'd have plenty of help setting it up and getting first light (read: lots of cooks in the kitchen!)

Cheers, Marcus

PS: Don't lose anymore weight - you're looking a little anorexic ... however, now I'm finding myself rather strangely aroused :scared2:

Waxing_Gibbous
28-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Loverly set-up!!!!
Those tomatos could use a shot of "Tom-Rite" tho'.

strongmanmike
31-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I still have to finalise insurance on her so I have elected to leave her next to the tomatoes until I get back :P so see you at SPSP Marcus.....where I predict your Tarantula region image will be the favourite :D (you heard it here first)

Cheers Peter I will let mum know...but she has been married to an Italian for 54 years :P

Mike