PDA

View Full Version here: : CDK 12.5 with Losmandy Titan Mount

CDKPhil
23-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi every body.
I am new to this site.
I have just ordered a new Planewave CDK 12.5 with a Losmandy Titan mount. I wanted to get some feed back from users with this type of set-up.
Cheers

Gama
24-03-2011, 02:11 AM
The scope is great. I also own a CDK and love it. Its great visually and imaging wise..
Cant help with the mount though..

Theo

pmrid
24-03-2011, 03:04 AM
I have a Titan and find it very stable and usable. It's a big mount physically and you should have that in mind when considering where and how to set it up. It is really a fixed-position kind of mount although there are sure to be some out there who scoff at that suggestion. It is 'tall' and if you want to use your scope visually, you should design your pier height to suit. I have the base of my mount at a height of 700mm and find that's about right for me.
Gemini (I don't have the G2 version) takes a little learning but it then becomes quite easy to use. The mount accepts guiding commands readily and tracks well. If you are imaging, you'll want to give yourself a decent guiding setup to suit. OAG stuff is fine but does make finding a guidestar a pain at times.
I have not had any problems with my mount save a bit of teeth-grinding at setting work/gear interface - but that's a very learnable skill.
Have fun. With that scope, you'll do some seriously good work.
Peter

gregbradley
24-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I am also using a CDK - a CDK17.

I would make sure you get the secondary shroud with the baffle machined in. I believe it is a new feature PLanewave are adding possibly in response to my complaint about excessive reflections.

I am not sure if the nearby bright star reflections is an issue with the 12.5.

Otherwise a very good scope.

I ended up flocking my secondary housing whilst waiting for a replacement shroud which is being made. That was not easy
so it should be a factory job. Although I found out the secondary shroud simply unscrews to remove it.

With a 12.5 inch closed tube scope you may have trouble with wind buffeting the scope. Perhaps not too bad as the CDK design is shorter than an RCOS design where I could not use it in winds above 5kmh on a Tak NJP.

So wherever you intend to image with it make sure the walls of the observatory if you have one provide wind protection for the scope if possible.

The scope is very well made and the focuser works well. It seems excellent value for money.

Greg.

CDKPhil
24-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the Comments.
I hope I do not have any issues. I will keep everybody posted.
Scope arrives in July.

Cheers

h0ughy
24-03-2011, 04:19 PM
i take it your mount is residing in a well known establishment in Sydney. i am hoping to claim the other one they have there. Are you getting a baseplate made up for a pier or a whole new pier?

CDKPhil
24-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes my mount is in Sydney. They said someone else was looking at the Titan so I had better be quick.
I will be getting a new pier for the mount once I decide where to put it.
In the meantime I will use the Losmandy legs. I have a dark site north of Lightning Ridge so the legs will be very useful.

telecasterguru
24-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Philip,

That is some serious kit that you are getting. Will you be imaging with it?

Frank

tlgerdes
24-03-2011, 08:22 PM
No Frank, he is going pig shooting with it!:lol: :lol:

CDKPhil
24-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Yes I am going to do AP with it, but I will also use it for visual. I want to teach my children and wife about astronomy. I have ordered some Televue eyepieces as well.