PDA

View Full Version here: : Power supply

Jonathan
03-02-2005, 10:56 PM
I would like to know if anyone has an opinion about what the best way to power my ETX-125 is. I've noticed that it goes through a set of alkaline batteries pretty quickly and could start getting exspensive after a while.

Should I get a Celestron powertank? Rechargeable batteries? or go to Dick Smith's and get a lead acid battery & charger?

The powertank seems a bit rich for what it is ($135), although it does look quite versatile.

Any help is much appreciated.

westsky
03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Jonathan,
How about a dry cell or a gell cell, safer than a lead acid, no spillage
a 12Ahr and trickle charger would set you back about $40.00 to $50.00
and if you keep it charged up will last for years.
By the way a solar charger is the best way of keeping the charge up and only costs abit more than the trickle charger.
I run a small solar charger on a 65Ahr and its always fully charged.
I leave it connected 24/7
super cheap auto have some very good solar chargers at a good price.

David.

[1ponders]
04-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Or you could pop down to Big W, Kmart, Supacheap Auto, Autobarn etc and pick up a $60, 15 Ah jumpstarter pack and a suitable powerlead with a cigarette lighter plug. Should run and ETX for about a month or two without two many probs. Well maybe not quite that long, but I have run my LX200 for 8 viewings for a total of about 45 hours without any problems. I'm trying to see how long it would run for without charging it back up again. I wan't doing a lot of slewing though. That chews up power.

Dave47tuc
04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I have 2 power tanks and have been very happy with them:)

No not the cheapest way to go but one I got second hand for free:P

the other at Kmart for $145.:D

Very happy with both and have powerd the LX 200 10" and dew strap on many a night:whistle:

When i remember to recharge:P

Best.

:astron:

Jonathan
04-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to annoy my brother to see what he reckons but he's not very useful for an electronic enginner. Also got a mate at Autopro getting a price on the 12v jump starter pack.

ballaratdragons
04-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Are you in a situation to set up a solar system?

Hang on, that didn't come out right.

Are you in a situation where you can set up a solar panel and storage battery system?

Let it charge up each day, set up your scope at night next to it and plug in.

RAJAH235
04-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Guys,
And if you want to see your charts at night, use a solar powered torch?????(with a red LED of course)!

Jonathan
04-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Ken,

Setting up a solar (powered) system isn't really practical for me at this stage so I'll be looking at 240v charger depending on what I come up with.

Striker
04-02-2005, 10:35 PM
I bought a jump start pack 24Ah from super cheap...its the biggest jump park on the market I think......not sure how long the charge will last but I haven't had to charge it for the second time yet....

Like said previoulsy get a sealed battery maintenance free or gel cell....much less to worry about....the more AH = AMP HOUR means the longer the charge will last.....still has the same output 12 volt.

Starkler
04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Just a tip.

You should charge your battery whether it needs it or not.
Deep cycle discharging of gell cells or other lead acid types will shorten their life.

The golf buggy type batteries are expensive as they are designed to tolerate deep discharge.