PDA

View Full Version here: : Who makes the toughest telescopes??

erick
11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, based on my experience, Peter Read of SDM Telescopes must rank up at the top!

When it was constructed, we decided that my SDM#039 would be parked vertically, with a Telegizmos cover over it. I have been worried about it if the wind gets up and on my trip to Fowlers Gap earlier this year, I started tying it down to some tent pegs. The wind always came from much the same direction so I would tie it with two ropes coming from around the UTA with about 90 deg between them.

Had a bit of wind at Snake Valley early Monday morning as I packed up for the night, so I did the same. Well, unfortunately, the wind made a significant change of direction during the day and when I went out mid-afternoon, my scope was no longer standing vertically, but was having a little lie-down. YIKES! This does not look good!

First observation under the end of the cover shows the rocker box up-ended 45 deg, with the mirror box completely out of the rocker box and resting on the rocker box end on one of the primary collimation bolts. A look under the cover showed the alt encoder arm pointing a funny direction and bare wires showing on the cable. I could see the primary mirror and it appeared to be in one piece, hanging in its cable sling.

With Nick and Andrew's help, I lifted the mirror box/trusses/UTA upright and stood it to one side. I expected to hear the tinkle of glass and to see bits of finderscope and secondary mirror fall out, but no. So far, so good.

Examined the rocker box. Only two problems observed. One, a "ding" in the edge of the rocker box which didn't correspond readily to a collimation bolt location. It looks like the mirror box and upper assembly hit the ground, then bounced to a new location, stopping snagged on the rocker box. Second, the plug from the alt encoder arm was still in its socket, but the cable was completely ripped out.

We lifted the cover off the mirror box/trusses/UTA. Where is all the damage?? I cannot see anything? This cannot be right? In fact, after a full check, the only problem was that three little teflon pads that I had placed between the ends of the secondary collimation screws and the secondary mirror holder had come completely out and were lying at the bottom of the plastic container that I have around the secondary mirror during storage. For that to have happened, the secondary mirror holder must have bounced quite violently on its central mounting bolt! The alt encoder arm wasn't bent. The trusses didn't appear to be bent. The UTA must have landed on one of the upper catches, but no apparent damage to it. The focusser operated smoothly. The finderscope was still in place and the view through it was fine.

To cut a long story short, Doug had the crimping tool and spare plug, so I could replace the alt encoder plug. I put the teflon pads back in place. I went over everything and could see no problems.

Recollimated and I was away, for a successful nights viewing. All electricals, mechanics and opticals were working as expected. I guess that a few inches of grass and soft ground helped. If I'd been on a concrete surface?

:prey2::prey2::prey2::prey2: Peter Read! What a marvellous scope.

But I have just manufactured a bracket to lock my "tube unit" closer to horizontal. Now to see if my Telegizmos cover will fit this new orientation.

I can breath again and my heart resume beating!

wavelandscott
12-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Scary Story!

Glad it seems to be okay.

No doubt, SDM makes a great scope!

astroron
12-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Wow Eric ,I bet the heart was thumping big time :eyepop:
I am glad all ended well :thumbsup:
Cheers

sasup
12-03-2011, 08:21 AM
SDM hands down.

astronut
12-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Great news Eric....I'm sure Peter will want to use your story to sell more scopes!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DavidTrap
12-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Good to hear - though I thought you were going to say that the collimation wasn't even affected!!!

DT

strongmanmike
12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Tonka Tough SDM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fHRprPUsuI&feature=related) :thumbsup:

Does Peter have the same Guarantee...?

Mike

erick
12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
As I began to see there was no major damage, I was thinking to check the collimation immediately - then I saw that the small pads had fallen from the secondary mirror - so that made sure collimation would have moved. Secondary had also rotated a little.

erick
12-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I've spoken with him to congratulate him. I think he was a little surprised as well that I was back up and functional that evening. I'm happy to sign my name to the story to promote SDM scopes! :2thumbs:

Waxing_Gibbous
13-03-2011, 12:59 AM
My heart........

ballaratdragons
13-03-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm glad Eric was smiling when he told me this story at camp just after he checked it over.

My heart would've sunk too had he told me the story with a straight or worried look on his face.

Kal
13-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm glad things turned out OK Eric, I always cringe when reading these stories!

jamespierce
13-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Glad the story has a happy ending. When I park my SDM for the night I cover it, put a strap around the cover half way down to stop it flapping and then leave it horizontal with the servocat clutches disengaged so it can spin freely in the wind. It's a bit disconcerting to watch it spin around in the wind, but it can't tip over and it means the scope naturally weathervanes with the wind rather than being put under extra stress.