PDA

View Full Version here: : Is it ok to alert the site of a potential bargain?

AstroGuy
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping a moderator or the like will see this.

I'm a little confused. Are we allowed to post bargains we find advertised elsewhere on the internet etc...on this site? I know we can't advertise a seller in our signature, or on behalf of a seller. but, what's the difference? I see many links in threads that point to seller's website's, just want to make sure this is ok to do, and not against the rules.

Thanks.

mill
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I think you can tell about a bargain (we love bargains :P ).

iceman
10-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Of course, why wouldn't you?

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
The reason I ask is...

Even though I am not affiliated with any sellers/suppliers, I guess I was a little confused/worried that advertising on behalf of a supplier whether directly or indirectly, may be misconstrued and against site policy. I'm glad you have set me straight on this one Mike, thanks. :)

niko
10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
well, don't keep us in suspense... What's the bargain.....?!

:)

GeoffW1
10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
:rofl::rofl:

MrB
10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Spill the beans!
why not? You've already posted one bargain before: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=72719

DavidU
10-03-2011, 05:19 PM
waiting waiting waiting LOL

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Here's one for starters.

I don't know how many of you like tinkering, or if you may already have heard of this place but....If your after those elusive optical components at rock bottom prices here they are, and they accept paypal.

http://www.surplusshed.com

For e.g. want a cost-effective monster 2" 60+ degree wide AFOV reticle?

They have 51mm crosshair reticles 5mm thick optical glass for less than $4 new. They fit almost perfectly into the base of a 2" GSO 42mm or 32mm Superview camera projection eyepiece on special at Andrews for $29. Not all may be exactly 51mm so a little grinding with some wet and dry emery paper and blackening of the surrounding edge may be in order.

I especially liked the beam splitters, place one of these into a pair of bottom to bottom 1.25" amici prism GSO diagonals (correct image) from Andrews at $29 each, seal them. There you have it, a 4 port beam splitter. Use one port to project an LED superimposed holographic style reticle crosshair on the other 2 view ports. Oh, did I mention....SS has a wide range of reticles that could fit popular 1.25" eyepieces too.

The stuff they have on that site is unbelievable! you have to check'em out.
Warning though, if you are like me, you could end up exploring that site for hours.

I'm always researching prices on Astro gear (a lot), so if I come across anything I think is worthwhile I will post, or if I see someone looking for something and I have found a good/cheaper price I'll also post.

Regards to all...

MrB
10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Ah! Good old Surplus Shed, great site.
They occasionaly have some large achromatic objectives for sale too.
A few members here have build guidescopes with them.
There's a thread at Cloudynights (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2407369/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1) about the 127mm Objective.

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
If you're after cost-effective astro filters, many quality brands to choose from. I found this site has the best prices. They don't ship scopes internationally but most small components are really good value and available to most international destinations. They also accept paypal.

I must be honest though, they did muff up an order I made ages ago but were very quick to send the correct part out and they covered postage. Service is quite good and postage can also be very good value. They have different post methods to choose from. They are also on eBay.

www.agenaastro.com

P.S. I meant to infer that most filters not all are best price on the internet. Most GSO stuff is cheaper here in Oz at Andrews.

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
This place has some of the most versitile and ingeneous telescope adapters for astrophotography on the internet. The one I like best is the T-ring for 1.25" eyepieces. Allows you to adapt most 1.25" eyepieces to a standard male T-thread to attach T-Rings etc...very simple non-bulky item. Better than using bulky Camera projection tubes/adapters in most cases. Also has webcam adapters etc...International Shipping is also very cost-effective. If I remember right flat rate $7 international and USA shipping.

www.telescopeadapters.com

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:02 PM
If you're after something specific let me know. If I can help I'll let you know.

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't need to elaborate to much on this one. Almost everything they stock has the best price tags in Australia! This one's the best place ever!

http://www.andrewscom.com.au

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
This looks like a real nice product. Major price reduction reduced from $180+ to $59, No dimensions available on the site but looks ample, unless it's made for very small individuals? Never purchased from them before so don't know what shipping is like.

http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/astronomy-accessories/other-accessories.html

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Am I spilling too many beans? :P

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Tired of paying a fortune for cleaning alcohol?

Check this out,

standard Oz Post shipping rates,

1 litre Ethanol (95%) with additive for non-human consumption (standard additive) $14.30/Litre non oily residue.

Even cheaper!!

Isopropyl Alcohol $8.80/litre non oily residue

https://shop.newdirections.com.au/epages/newdirections.sf/en_AU/?LastViewObjectID=198855&ViewAction=View&ChangeAction=&ShopURL=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.newdirec tions.com.au%2Fepages%2Fnewdirectio ns.sf%2FsecZa5lhgUgmY6%2F&Quantity=1&ChangeObjectID=204461&x=70&y=9

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
These are all specific bargains. From what I have read around the forums here, these items are being asked and talked about by other members. That's why I posted these. You are right though. tomorrow's another day :)

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah I understand, but what I call a bargain is absolute best price anywhere.

AstroGuy
10-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm gonna say what's on most peoples minds. I can see how this thread could be used to exploit the members of this site and get outa control. This is not my intention, never was, and that is why I asked if it was ok to show/link some bargains (from time to time of course).

I think most will agree that It's really up to the members to do some research to the validity of the claims of such "bargains" I'm only trying to point you in the right direction so our Astro community can save some money.

Now, if someone posts a "bargain" and you find it cheaper elswhere, let us know. That's what the thread is all about right? With that thought I bid you all a good night, I'm crashing...:zzz2::zzz2::zzz2::zzz2: :zzz2:

Regards...

AstroGuy
11-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Bargains for the day. ;)

Network Cable:
---------------
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290500959612&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Seben Comet 90mm 1200 FL MAK CASS multicoated optics, Astronomy/guide/Spotting scope and tripod. I've seen some good reviews on this scope. $220.00 delivered worldwide to most international destinations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380282760548&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Superbrite compact luxeon LED torch(s), add some layers of red cellophane or rubylith red transparency for the ultimate astro-torch(s), these torches are so bright they are somewhat uncomfortable to look straight into them!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250607900689&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250631695065&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Rubylith Red Transparent filter
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rubylith-Redfilm-Mask-Astronomy-Night-Vision-12x20-/130450733213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5f78389d

Cheap 640x480 Moon and possible planet imager webcam (USB 2.0) possibly useful for guiding projects using bright stars. Will take 5 megapixel stills (interpolated with it's own driver, 640x480 without driver) Requires webcam to 1.25"\T2 adapter that screws into lens port, easy to install. I've used these cams for imaging and they perform surprisingly well on the moon when images are stacked (simulated long exposure). Even if only used as a moon cam for a beginner wanting to try low cost imaging. User can create super high res mosaic final image (only limited by scopes resolution and aperture). great value at $5 delivered worldwide. 1.25" infrared blocking filter also required if lens removed. Andrews has them for for $19.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390232349351&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

T-Ring to attach canon EOS DSLR EF cameras to a T2 male thread adapter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/T2-T-mount-telescope-adapter-Canon-EOS-EF-42mm-NEW-/190507463664?pt=AU_Cameras_Photogra phic_Accessories&hash=item2c5b2133f0

Thermoelectric Peltier cooling modules, real cheap. Small flat squares that get icy cold on one side, while releasing heat on the other. Just add 12v DC. Great for creating non-fan driven primary mirror fast cool down device, or portable coolers for electrical equipment such as cameras etc...
http://stores.ebay.com/sitedv88/_i.html?_nkw=peltier&submit=Search&_sid=706749745

Hope you enjoyed those.

Octane
11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
The $2 el-cheapo "Lenspens" are not the real deal.

They might be fine to use on cheap kit lenses, but, I would never let a single one touch my L-series glass. Why would I skimp out $12-$20 (the cost of a real Lenspen) on a cheap substitute, which may damage many thousands of dollars worth of precious glass? A microscratch is a scratch is a scratch. Whilst any optical defect may never show up in daytime terrestrial shallow depth-of-field imaging, when closing down aperture for low-light landscapes, the scratches may start showing through -- much like dust particles on the lens or on the sensor.

There is a warning on the Lenspen web site with regards to imitations.

H

ballaratdragons
11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
and the two CCTV cameras you link to are pretty much useless for Astro work.

AstroGuy
11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Have you used or seen a so called imitation one?

I've used the so called imitation lens pens and they have all had the attributes of a good product. They have Microfibre brush and 2 sized Chamoise cleaning cups. Don't know what you're talking about.

There are warnings everywhere in regards to stuff. If you where to use an "authentic lenspen" incorrectly, you would also ruin quality optical glass.

so it's not the pen, it's how and when you apply it's function. Anyway, if you have not seen or used one I don't see the point.

Regards...

AstroGuy
11-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Any particular reason, or is that your personal opinion?

Regards...

casstony
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I decided to give this a go.
Case details:
Length 46 cm including feet (41 cm excluding feet)
Width 24 cm
Height 35 cm
Mass 4.5 kG

Thanks for the heads up Astroguy. Do you think you could find us some half-price Pentax/Televue/Denkmeier gear? :)

mswhin63
11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
there is general idea on which cameras are good and which ones aren't unfortunately even though they seem to have a high resolution there are factors that affect their performance. A lot of the problems is that most of the cheap WebCam is do not have individual controls for exposure and makes it very difficult to video planetary stuff.

ballaratdragons
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Not personal opinion.

It is according to the specs sheet.

Apart from low resolution, the lux rating isn't outstanding and will dissapoint most if not all people.

420 TVL is very low res
Sub Zero Lux is only achieved at f1.2
Neither cameras have Sens-Up capability

There are some simple webcams with matching specs, and some better.

The ones you show are cheap, but not really worth it.
They would be more frustrating than practical :thumbsup:

Octane
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Eugenio,

If the manufacturer's of the Lenspen (patent pending, from memory) have issued a warning, alerting potential customers of cheap knockoffs, then, I'd heed their warning and pay the extra few dollars to protect the many thousands that I've invested in good quality glass. I can't really afford to scratch my lenses.

Over the years, I think I've mentioned this issue a couple of times on this forum.

H

AstroGuy
11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
And for sure, if I was in you position I would think twice. All that I know is that I have purchased these pens before, they feel good, (for what they are) and the materials and workmanship seem fine. I thought I'll checkem out first see what they perform like, quality etc...and they turned out to be a great bargain.

I can only see them ruining optical glass if they were to become contaminated with grit, and then place straight on the lens and grit rubbed into it. Also if they are used straight on the lens without air blowing the lens first. Lenses can have particles of grit etc...and when you just start rubbing into them you will risk lens damage.

Apart from human error in the way that they could be used incorrectly, their great!, don't have a problem with them. I don't know if there is a thread showing AA's how to clean their optics, if not there should be.

In the end I can only tell you what I know from experience, if you spend $2 dollars and the lenspen you end up with is not up to scratch well it's only $2
I've never had that problem, but I can see where you are coming from.

Regards...

mswhin63
12-03-2011, 12:11 AM
it is a good intention to provide links to low-cost items unfortunately spending two dollars to clean up the lens and you end up scratching it could end up costing hundreds of dollars getting the lens fixed or replacing it.

Although I have not re-started selling my red light torches due to my surgery, the red light torches that I was selling are very poor in quality so I spend a lot of time fixing them up to ensure that when they left my place they were of a much higher quality.

sometimes it is better to pay just a little bit more to ensure that you get a better quality product that won't end up costing a lot more in the future.

ballaratdragons
12-03-2011, 12:19 AM
No it's not!

If you spend $2 on a lenspen that isn't up to scratch it could end up costing hundreds or thousands in replacement lenses!
Not "well it's only $2"

:rolleyes:

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 12:24 AM
For crying out load people how is it going to scratch your lenses?

Octane
12-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Eugenio,

The Lenspen people use a carbon compound that cleans the lens. Not just a Microfibre cloth.

It's just a risk. But, one I'm not willing to take.

H

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 01:32 AM
I didn't know it was carbon, I've always wondered what that stuff was. There is also very fine carbon powder on these too.

I'm not trying to force anyone to buy it. Just want to know what you have against them? Let us in on the secret. Excuse me for saying, you still have not given me an explanation/answer as to how you think these lenspens can scratch your optics? So how can you be sure they will/might?

BTW, there is no microfibre cloth to do with these, where are you getting reference to microfibre cloth from?

Regards...

KenNo2658
12-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Hi Guys! And Gals!

My opinion on this has nothing to do with Astronomy. It is simple experience. I am allowed to buy a bargain as long as I can prove it is something I really want that would cost me a lot more elsewhere. If it is the same type of equipment, will it do the same job as a more expensive make? Will it last as long as the more expensive brand? Will I be as happy with that than the more expensive brand?:confuse3:

Seem simple enough questions, but if you answer them honestly, is what you are going to buy really a bargain?:question:

If I answer no to any of them, I have to buy the more expensive option, even if it takes me longer to get it.:mad2:

Well, they are the rules I live by, and SWMBO makes me stick to it! And to be perfectly honest, she ain't wrong!!:D

Ken

Jerous
12-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I am a total Newbie, I admit it. But I have combed the web for the " positive reviews" you mentioned. I can't find any. These seems to be some sort of cheap manufacture, flooded into the ebay market around the world.

ballaratdragons
12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Seben are rubbish. End of story.

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Have you seen one that is as good/bad for the price? I'd like to know about if you have seen one please. Some finders/spotting scopes cost more than that. That German designed stuff ain't to shabby. I'll see if I can find the link to the reviews and get back to you.

You seem knowledgeable enough, What's the worst that can be wrong with them in your opinion? These scopes are probably manufactured in China (where most things are manufactured these days).

Regards...

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I tend to differ, according to advances in technology they have up'd there standards, and they are generous enough to pass on the savings. But that's just my point-of-view of course.

Regards...

ballaratdragons
12-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Fine, go buy one then!

You argue every friggin point we make coz you seem to know better than us on everything, so why we need to bother answering any more is beyond me.

We answer your questions or suggestions from experience but that doesn't seem to matter.

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 10:18 PM
ballaratdragons,

If I remember right. In keeping with the spirit of the IIS site, Is it not against Site policy to basically trash a company/seller/member this way? Sounds a bit harsh dude.

You take the Fun out of it. :(

Regards...

ballaratdragons
12-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Fine, you won't listen.

Then how about someone who works with them:

AstroGuy
12-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Show me a better scope with the same parameters for the same price or better, and prove they are inferior.

Show us the evidence.

Inferior to what?

By the same respect,

I also could say your scope is inferior, not advanced, primitive and low quality, and the person who operates it not advanced or intelligent because they are not as good as the Hubble telescope or the people that operate it.

Unless you can provide a reference point for comparison in your argument I don't see the relevance.

marki
13-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I had a seban N 203/1000 navigator II as a first scope, what a pile of rubbish that was, the mount was so weak you couldn't even get and image in the EP that wasn't jumping around all over the place even with the slightest breeze. The optics were shocking with SA plainly evident and strong coma from about 50% FOV. I wouldn't recommend one of these to my worst enemy.

Mark

AstroGuy
13-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Sorry to hear that mate but we are not talking about the seban N 203/1000.
I admit their scopes in the past have not exactly pleased many people. I'm talking about the Seben Comet in particular and whether anyone can provide a link to a scope that is better for the price and has the same characteristics. It's easy to say something is this or that, but what are you comparing it to, be realistic.

Regards...

marki
13-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Nah mate, you wont find anything cheaper than that, its a bargin, go for it.

Mark

AstroGuy
13-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi Mark,

Mind you, I was thinking of buying one myself for use as a guidescope. I have since rethought my strategy and decided to use my Celestron 4se to peform the same function. I would actually buy one for this purpose. Alternatively it could make a good spotting scope etc...

Regards...

AstroGuy
13-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Man, you seem sooooooooo frustrated with this.

I only posted the link, you challenged it as if it were a duel.
If you have followed anything I've posted, you will see I have already purchased them. You on the other hand probably have not, so how can you argue the point when you have not even checked one out.

It's hard to figure you out man.:screwy:

Regards...

MrB
13-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Realy?
You have made four posts since the post you just quoted was made.
Things get quiet and you got bored so you've gone back to dig up something else to comment on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

mswhin63
13-03-2011, 10:17 AM
my first scope was a SEBEN complete waste of money. about the only thing that worked for me was the EQ motor but even that was really sloppy and noisy.