PDA

View Full Version here: : politics and religion

Tandum
07-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Why not start a forum for these topics. There are no kids here, users need grownup disscussion areas.

iceman
07-03-2011, 03:50 AM
No thanks. There are lots of other forums out there to discuss these topics.

In my experience, it divides people more than unites them. Why would I want that here?

wavelandscott
07-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Actually, there are a few kids here. Mine read and look over my shoulder all of the time.

I like that the site keeps those topics mostly "off limits".

GeoffW1
07-03-2011, 11:04 AM
And several young members of High School age. It is great to have them on IIS too. :hi: Not that you would always be disinterested in politics and religion, but I am thinking of the spread in ages. I would encourage any youngster here.

Cheers

iceman
07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
You only have to look at how (the small number of) threads about politics and religion we HAVE had, have degenerated and turned into slinging matches, name-calling, personal attacks, etc.

In most cases, someone gets so upset they leave (or almost leave) IceInSpace because of it.

Being adults in age, does not mean people automatically have the ability to discuss sensitive topics without getting upset. We've seen it time and time again.

CraigS
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Perhaps we should add football and soccer to the list !
:)

By the way, is this thread open for discussion ?

Cheers

iceman
07-03-2011, 11:19 AM
You're more than welcome to add your opinion.

mswhin63
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Keep it out, after 4 years of solid Christian and Jewish theology myself I know it can create massive rifts (ask my parents). Definitely other places for this type of discussion.

best close this thread too before it becomes a thread on its own.

CraigS
07-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I find that by not discussing other perspectives on some of the ‘Big’ topics in Science, we are by default, tacitly supporting varying degrees of atheism anyway. Suppression of other perspectives, exacerbates the tacit support, and ultimately leads to a lop-sided religious discussion.

One doesn’t have to specifically mention a particular religion, in order to present religious views, and it happens all the time.

I do not believe any of us really understand what is meant by ‘religion’ as per the Terms of Usage. Whilst I would appreciate clarification on this point, this, in itself, is likely to be a major problem.

Having made these points, I thoroughly understand Mike’s stance and, if I were in his position, I’d probably be making the same decision.

A conundrum !! Damned if you do .. damned if you don’t !

Overall, I find its not the religion that’s the problem .. its immovable, non-listening behaviours, which should be the focus of moderation.

Cheers
PS: Politics (& now, football/soccer), is the same as religion and all of the above, applies for these topic variants.

jjjnettie
07-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Makes my tummy turn just thinking about those two topics.
We have enough tension already between the Imagers and Visual Observers.:P

Liz
07-03-2011, 07:31 PM
:lol::lol: I agree.
Dont like tension and bad vibes, keep it nice. :thumbsup:

jjjnettie
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
:) I like to feel uplifted when I come onto the forum.

is singing........
Sunshine Lolly Pops and Rainbows
And everything that's wonderful ........

Ric
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
There are plenty of devoted forums out there in internet world.

I don't think an astronomy forum is the right place.

Anyway it always ends up in a giant bunfight that has to be locked.:fight:

Logieberra
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
politics and religion (and you forgot) soccer! ;0) heheh

Serves as a useful example...

FlashDrive
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Errrrr ..... Why don't we just all '' Kiss '' and make up . :P
BTW .... Sky looks nice .... doesn't it.

supernova1965
08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
In Australia sport should be counted as a Religion and it is well known as such by OZZIES:D

sheeny
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, and communicating by keyboard doesn't help. All inflection is lost, sarcasm is easily misinterpreted, and its not possible to read another's reaction as you speak and adjust accordingly... hence it all gets out of shape real quick.

I don't believe these topics are satisfactorily discussed on any forum... its just too hard to do without it getting out of shape, unless you're communicating with a like minded soul.

I fully support Mike's stance.

Did I miss something, or is someone organising a a tug-o-war?:P

Al.

Tandum
12-03-2011, 03:21 AM
You guys are no fun at all :(

Solid punch ups make for great reading ....

supernova1965
12-03-2011, 06:00 AM
If you want that watch worlds worst neighbours or some such program:P I for one don't want that here:screwy: