PDA

View Full Version here: : Dob base mod.

shane.mcneil
05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi

I want to make my 10" GSO Dob easier to move out of the shed. Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on how to do it. I've been thinking of:

1. Attaching lockable wheels to the base.

2. Using a trolley to move it. However the trolley bases I have seen are a bit small and don't really go far enough under the base to be stable during transit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Shane

GeoffW1
05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I found I could easily move a 12" Dob around on a medium hand trolley like this

http://www.bunnings.com.au/movingplanner/planning-a-move_products-we-recommend_product-detail.aspx?productid=4957

and it did not matter than the base was not totally on the trolley. I just had to be careful that the Alt axis was oriented in the direction I was going, ie, fore and aft to the trolley.

Cheers

shane.mcneil
06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks Geoff, I'll try one out.

AG Hybrid
06-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I just picked up from Bunnings for about $40 a hand trolly that folds up. Can support upto 60 kg's. Ive tried it out already. No good for going up/down stairs with, but I was able to move my 12" from my backyard to my front yard with considerable ease. Because the trolly folds up I can easily fit it into my car to take it to a dark site.
It will allow me to set the telescope up at my car then wheel it over to where everyone else is observing instead of moving from my car in pieces.

Also,if your concerned about the base size for an extra $20 you can get the trolly that can support 90 kg, while over all not much bigger the base is larger.

You can always use some planks or boards of wood to increase the surface area of the base if you so desire.

h45e
06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
What I did was mount these to the base
http://www.formulawheels.com.au/images/fc-1.gif

The sort with the wheel locking mech. Put four on the base and it works perfectly.

shane.mcneil
07-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that ideas. I was wondering about adding wheels/castors. Does it affect the stability needed for those fine adjustments?

h45e
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
It didn't for my dob, it actually turned out better. But now I'm looking for a goto.