PDA

View Full Version here: : My say on IIS.

Dave47tuc
27-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi All, :)
Well I’m having my 2 cents worth. I joined this site in Dec 2004.
I have only posted around 700 posts. I was looking for a group at the time that was different to an Astro Society.
I hate the personal agendas and politics that Astro Societies seem to have.

I have enjoyed this forum and have made a few new friends. I hope to meet and make more.
I was solely looking for people that would talk about Astronomy & observing and telescopes etc.

This forum covers that most of the time. I’m no computer expert as some would know. Thanks to those who have helped me with problems I have had with the computer. So as Stu said maybe I’m one of those older type persons not to computer illiterate.
But I do know about Astronomy and observing. So I help in that direction at times.
Now when I use this site it has been very frustrating to get though all that “spam” as you call it. To read what people are really talking about can be frustrating.
For me I just don’t read a thread that looks like it’s full of spam.
As I said I’m no computer expert and the word spam eluded me for a while.

There parts of the forum which I don’t look at or maybe not post in much. General chat is one. Stuff that does not interest me. But I just figure if people want to talk about whatever well I don’t have to read it or be involved.
Some parts of the forum are non Astro stuff like the Photo challenge. I like that. But I reckon as someone said if people want to talk about whatever is there not msn or yahoo!!

Really I don’t care much either way. I only read and post on thread that I find interesting. Other stuff I don’t bother with.
This is not a voting group. It’s owned a run by Mike with help from others.
We are here invited to join and must follow there rules.
Don’t like it go find a chat room.

I have never seen a problem with the rules here as it’s not a voting group. We don’t elect any president etc. So follow the rules given.
Cloudy nights is strict when it comes to spam or whatever.
It seems to run very well so why can’t this forum.
I found it difficult to write this as I do sit on the fence a bit. People have different opinions on everything in life. Everyone has a right to do so.
But this site is not a democracy and is run under its own rules.
If they change from time to time so be it. Its there site.

People will always come and go, just like in any type of group.
I hope we can just get along use the site for what it is intended for.
For the benefit of the Astronomical community.
For leaning about astronomy and knowing whats in the night sky tonight.
Also to help people with getting into the hobby.
For getting observing groups going and all things Astronomical.

All IMO. That’s all I have to say on these matters.

Clear skies. :)

rumples riot
27-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Dave I know the rules better than anyone, I helped to write them. I did not intend when contributing to the rules for spam to exist in other areas of the forum, however I did see that trying to stop is was a waste of time, totally unproductive.

As for non astro related stuff, I think this is good, you get to know the personalities involved and get some understanding of those people. To just contribute oly astro stuff is missing out on knowing the people you are talking to. Well thats how I feel. Stupid jokes, games etc provide a bit of levity to a most serious subject. Some people here are not hardline astro nerds that have struggled their whole lives to make friends. (I am not saying this is you)

Yes there are chat rooms, but there are many people here who like to use the forums as a meeting place. Sure we have astro in common, but we might also have other things in common. Stupidity and laughter being another.

Stu
27-01-2006, 04:21 PM
If ving left I'd distraught.:sad:
The funniest poster on the site.

davidpretorius
27-01-2006, 04:36 PM
sorry stu, ving and I have been driven underground!!!

we are currently discussing cheshire and sighttubes and the value of different vairities. To keep our posts down and to make sure we don't spam (oops there is that word), we will be doing all discussions in private mail. everyone is invited of course, but there is a 5 recipient post limit so the next three to join us in private message disccussions about astronomy wins a new rcx400.

:)

this is a good solution, i still get to laugh at vings sharp and left field wit, and i still get him to giggle so he spits his chips over his computer. (hmmm i thought food was not allowed in a library???)

ving
27-01-2006, 04:58 PM
:lol2:
you guys!

i am (was) on my break