PDA

View Full Version here: : Takahashi questions

adman
26-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I have a couple of questions for any Tak experts out there:

1. Do I need to buy a special Takahashi t-ring to connect my DSLR and FS-60, or will any wide t-ring do? Any ideas what the thread is?

2. Is it worth getting the camera angle rotator?

3. I want to attach the clamshell to a single losmandy d adapter so it can clamp onto the d-rail on top of my newt (see pictures) - but of course the hole spacing in one isn't the same as the other, and none of the holes are threaded. Has anyone else had this problem, and what have you done about it?

Thanks
Adam

Tandum
26-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Have a look at a system chart (http://www.trutek-uk.com/takahashi/FS-60CB(1)%20Photovisual%20SystemChart .pdf)to answer 1 and 2. If you want to use the reducer or flattener you'll need the CAA to get focus. Some of the adapters would have come with the scope. It's an M52 thread on the back of the flattener. I got an M52->M42 adapter off ebay for about $5 to attach it to my wheel.

Dunno about the clamshell, I got my fs60 in rings.

JohnG
26-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Adam

As you will find with Takahashi you will need to look at the System Chart. http://www.astronomy-electronics-centre.com.au/, look at the FS-60CB Photo/Visual System Chart.

I am not sure if you intend to do Prime Focus with a DSLR or not, irrespective, you will need either the Reducer or the Flattener to get a flat field with a DSLR, whilst not absolutely essential, the CAA is highly recommended for orientating your camera. As you will find, you will need to use the Tak Wide T-Mount as it is a metric thread.

I run the CAA, Flattener and Tak Wide T-Mount with my setup, although I haven't really had much of a chance to use the setup.

The clamshell can be attached to the Losmandy D Adapter, just use the center hole, it is threaded to take a 1/4 x 20 thread. That is what I use when my FS-60 is being used as a guidescope. The other two holes are 35mm apart and are used for attaching to an EM-11 or similar Tak mount.

Cheers

adman
26-02-2011, 05:28 PM
thanks guys - I was able to get a selection of hex-head bolts from Repco including the 1/4 inch one. Worked like a charm.

I bought the flattener when I got the scope, so it looks like I need the CAA and t-ring also. Ahh well, what did I expect :shrug:.

Adam

Logieberra
02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I purchased my fiddly Tak rings / attachments from Peter Tan. Email Peter and he'll let you know what's required.

Logie.

gbeal
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Do you actually get a reply from him though? I was one of his biggest fans, and sent many a customer to him. But in the last few months he has gone from being sporadic with replies, to downright non-existent, to the extent that I don't send anyone to him now, and have sourced items from other more easily to deal with dealers.
Might be just me of course,
Gary

Logieberra
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
The 2011 Chinese New Year of the Rabbit began on February 3...

Must have been one hell of a party!

Logieberra
02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I called him once. Enjoy: +852 93726644

Zaps
02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
He has never responded to any of the email I have sent him over the last couple years (from different email accounts and connections, so it's unlikely to be a spam filter issue).

After a while (last chance was March 2010), I too gave up and spent my money elsewhere.

Logieberra
02-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Purchased my 30th birthday present from him, Tak Sky 90II + accessories in August of last year. Excellent communication. Go figure...

dannat
02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I bought something off him late last year, most replies were prompt - he did seem to miss one email but goods arrived well packed & post was more than reasonable ( seemed to be like aus post prices)

Exfso
02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Apparently he get upwards of 800emails a day and if he misses a day, his provider deletes his emails, so they obviously never get answered. I have just been communicating with him and had similar problems, but kept sending the same email every day, he eventually answered.

adman
02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I have had several orders through Peter now, and never a problem with any of them. It can take him a couple of days to answer emails, but always seems to eventually. Prices are good, everything well packed. Chinese EMS mail service is nothing short of extraordinary. Last shipment took 2 days:

Posting Date Posting Time Drop-off Point
23-Feb-2011 09:02 Sha Tin Central Post Office

Date # Location Delivery Status
23-Feb-2011 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
23-Feb-2011 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
23-Feb-2011 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 23-Feb-2011
24-Feb-2011 Australia Arrived and is being processed.
24-Feb-2011 Australia Pending customs inspection.
24-Feb-2011 Australia In transit.
25-Feb-2011 Australia Arrived the delivery office and is being processed.
25-Feb-2011 Australia Being processed for delivery.
25-Feb-2011 Australia Delivered.

Just in time for my birthday!

I have ordered the CAA and a couple of other bits from him a couple of days ago.

Adam