PDA

View Full Version here: : Ovision arrived

Exfso
25-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I purchased an Ovision one piece worm setup for my G11, it arrived today. Anyone here apart from Doug (Hagar) have one of these installed. I obviously have yet to instal mine. It took just over a week from when it left Paris to get here, so that is pretty good I reckon. What I have noticed is that the bearings seem to be quite tight, they are smooth operating but seem to bite just before the shaft turns, just wondering if this is normal. This is turning the shaft by hand of course.

Grahame
28-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Gday Peter,
I installed one of these a few months ago now, from memory it was not tight at all when i turned it by hand but very smooth with no tight spots at all. Did you receive a printout of the testing ovision did before they sent it to you?

telecasterguru
28-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I am thinking of doing this mod. How easy is it for someone with to tinkering ability?

Frank

Grahame
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Hi Frank,

Installing the ovision is quite straight forward, simply remove both of the old worm blocks and worm. Replace with the one piece worm block and tighten screws.
Getting a bit more into it I used an automotive feeler gauge to get the spacing right on both sides of the one piece worm block to ensure was as square as possible. Just be ultra careful when installing and follow the recommendations from ovision as to how to have your mount set up to swap the worm out. You dont want to nick or bump the new worm at all for fear of adding to the +-2 arc sec PE you could be running with after the swap :D

If you want pics I am happy to supply them for you :)

Grahame.

leinad
01-03-2011, 01:09 AM
The hand turning bump is normal, don't worry about that. This worried me at first also.

Grahame mentioned it all. It's really easy to do, just daunting when looking at it ;)

Exfso
01-03-2011, 03:02 AM
I got a reply back from Ovision about this "initial" binding, they said not to worry as these blocks with the worm and bearings are fitted to very tight tolerances. I am also considering replacing the oldham coupler with a bellows type. Don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on these do they!!:question:

Grahame, I have already installed the Ovision, no hassles at all, like you I used the feeler gauges as well. I have about 2mm end play at the CW shaft, which is what I think is recommended. If you got piccies, that would be nice for anyone considering changing to the Ovision..

telecasterguru
01-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the info and I think I'll give it a go. Not that I am unhappy with the G11 but every little bit helps.

Frank

adman
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes please! I am thinking about getting the worm, and would like to see one in action....

Adam

Octane
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Ditto, Grahame!

H

telecasterguru
04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I ordered a worm yesterday and expect it to arrive within the not too distant future and will be looking for help to get it installed.

Thanks

Frank