PDA

View Full Version here: : Work for the L200

higginsdj
21-02-2011, 04:12 PM
So we all get our L200's up and running, what work is there for us? Any camaigns or collaborations for Southern observers? I see a few for northern observers.....

Cheers

sheeny
21-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Without thinking too hard, I'd say the obvious one is Eta Carina.:)

My list ATM (while learning to use it:P) is:

Eta Carina
Betelgeuse
Gamma Velorum (Regor)
and with no idea about the practicalities or otherwise possibly radial velocity measurements in and around various solar features (e.g. sun spots, filaments, proms, etc). I have a Thousand Oaks white light filter for the C11 that should allow me to do attempt this... whether I succeed is entirely another matter:P.

Al.

higginsdj
21-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Why Eta Carina, Betelgeuse and Gamma Velorum? (remember I'm a planetary guy - not a stellar guy)

Cheers

sheeny
21-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Eta Carina is almost one of a kind (well it is amongst bright stars;)). It is a multiple star irregular variable of PEC class (peculiar spectrum). It goes through a semi-regular cycle every 6 and a bit years or so where the spectrum changes. It's also survived a false supernova event in 1841 (?) and is expected to go supernova any time (i.e. from now till 1-200k years):P. It would be quite a coup to have data revealing changes immediately prior to a SN!

Betelgeuse is a red giant that has been reportedly doing funny things like maintaining brightness and spectral class (I presume, because I've found nothing about that changing) but physically shrinking in size...:shrug:... something's got to be going on there.

Regor is just a nice bright Wolf Rayet star with excellent emission lines (as Eta Carina has), so there's opportunity to measure and monitor the radial velocity of the gas being ejected, etc.

Of course, planetary-wise there's always atmospheric absorption of the planets and their satellites to do, and measurment of rates of rotation, etc.

:)

Al.

higginsdj
22-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Trouble with me is that I am an observer first. That is I spend all my time and effort honing my oberving skills without knowing much about the science for which the obtained data relates. Once I have the observing skills down pat - then I move on to the science.

So for me, my desire is to do something near the 'bleeding' edge of amateur capability, preferably something that not everyone else is doing - perhaps a small, neglected niche.

Cheers

Merlin66
23-02-2011, 03:09 AM
For me it would be:
1. Eta Car
2. Eta Car
3. You guessed Eta Car
then on to the neglected Be Stars ( Listing and details in the BeSS), a survey of the southern WR stars, a quick check around the usual suspects - long term variables...nova... then I'd have to stop and think...how long is ALL this data going to take to process!!!

Seriously, there are very few active amateurs in spectroscopy - in the world - never mind in the Southern Hemisphere ( just ask Bernard how lonely he was getting!) we could gather data every night and it still would not be enough.

higginsdj
23-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Hmmm.. at Dec -59 and a bit, Eta Carina is a borderline target. Without the Spectrograph my Dec limit is -60 (physical limit is -68 but I include a small margin for safety since my observatory is automated). I'm Alt/Az (Fork) mounted on a wedge.

sheeny
23-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Ah, I see.

What would your limit be with the L200?

Al.

higginsdj
24-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Its going to depend on how it is oriented and I can really only test that when it's all in place (and that could be a while....)

Cheers