PDA

View Full Version here: : Gso Focuser Question

bytor666
02-02-2005, 08:47 PM
I was just outside with my 12" GSO scope tonight and every time that I put my 9mm Nagler (type 1) eyepiece into the focuser it seemed to go out of focus,( I have the stock rack & pinion type that came with the scope),. I think that the weight of the eyepiece was causing the focuser to slip, but I'm not entirely sure. Do these focusers tend to move when a heavy eyepiece is used in them ?...can I tighten the focuser so this doesn't happen?..please let me know somebody so that I can fix the problem, or go and get a crayford...Thanks !!!...
-------------------
Markus
12" GSO scope

westsky
02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi Markus, there should be a lock on the focuser, look for the black knob oppisite the focus knobs, this should prevent the tube from sliping down when you use heavy EP's, are you getting any slop in the focuser at all?

regards
David.

iceman
02-02-2005, 09:35 PM
As David said, the black plastic knob will do it for you.

Tighten it so that there's no slop in the focuser, trade off, it'll be stiffer to focus and at high magnifications it'll make the scope wobble due to the pressure you're applying to turn the knobs.

Loosen it, and heavy eyepieces will slip in, knobs will be easier to turn, but you'll get slop in the focuser too.

For all these reasons, I upgraded to a Moonlite CR2 (http://www.iceinspace.com/?moonlite).

Oh except for the heavy Nagler reason.. I'm not fortunate enough to have that reason :)

westsky
02-02-2005, 10:34 PM
There is a fix for the slop in these focusers, look carefully on the other side to the focus knobs and you should find two small set screws. these press against a plastic strip pushing the drawtube towards the focus knobs taking out the slop. You will have to collminate your scope after adjusting the focuser.
This is for the GS focuser's the Synta focusers are set up different they don't have the set screws.

cheers David.

westsky
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
my apoligies I confused the two focusers the Synta focusers have the set screws the GS DON'T,

David.

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 10:53 PM
So David,

your point is . . . . . ? :confuse3:

westsky
02-02-2005, 11:02 PM
no point other than the slop problem can be fixed I just gave the wrong info and thought I would save people time looking for something that wasn't there in the GS focusers.

David