PDA

View Full Version here: : How does a Mod moniter?

bartman
18-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Just curious as to how Moderating a forum works ( not the filtering out the spam and "rude" posts).
I understand that there are several Mods that keep an eye on posts that are made.
So what I'm trying to say is : does h0ughy ( to just name one - no pointing out one in particular !) have a roster and sits behind his/her ( r there any her Mods?) computer and reads all the in coming traffic and "mods" them on the fly?

I just cant grasp the fact that a lot of posts come through this site and each and every post is scrutinised, and then passed on to the forum ( or deleted).............
Is there a program that Mods use that puts the 'post' on hold? Then after the Mod checks it, it gets posted?

I guess the real question is ....How do you keep up????????

Must be a hard job:shrug: especially when it comes to what post to let through and which not.....:question: and a heavy debated topic......
As an aside - well done in doing the job you do!:thanx:

Bartman

ballaratdragons
18-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Bart, the posts aren't pre-checked.

Whatever you post goes into the forum instantly.
It gets read after it's in here. If it doesn't pass scrutiny then it gets deleted.

That's why the mods say they have deleted things. Coz they were already in here to delete.
If they read them all first they wouldn't have anything to delete, but they'd never get any sleep either. :rofl:

bartman
18-02-2011, 01:52 AM
?????
Sorry Ken...
you have confused me....
so if I were to use profanity now ..... it would be for all to see and only when a Mod reads it, it would be deleted.
So still a Mod would have to be monitoring the forums 24/7 + the entire contents of all the sub forums....
Still confused.... I can't look/view all topics within a few minutes.....
So how can 'they' ( sorry Ken r u a Mod? I was able to see who is a Mod - but cant seem to find that link anymore...) monitor all forums?

Please do not take this as a negative post!!!!!!!!:eyepop:
I am just curious - like how does a jet engine work-
Bartman

ballaratdragons
18-02-2011, 02:16 AM
The website has a profanity filter. It happens automatically.

The admin can add or delete words from the profanity filter.

Me? A Mod? :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

I have almost been banned so many times in the past that I am probably the last person in here ever to be asked to be a mod.
I don't even come close to consideration :lol:

I was a real thorn in the side of Admin and the Mods :P

That's how come I know the rules so well, coz I have broken most of them several times.
But then again, come to think of it, Houghy was one of my cohorts back then and he's a mod these days :rofl:

Now, about that Jet Engine: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blhowajetengineworks.htm

joe_smith
18-02-2011, 02:17 AM
most sites the mods are just regular users with one difference they can delete and modify all the post's they moderate where a normal user cant. They just login like everyone else, well maybe more often then most and do checks. Also anyone can click the red cross button to report a post they don't agree with for them to check it out and see if it brakes the rules.

bartman
18-02-2011, 03:02 AM
K.... heheheh obviously I havn't picked up on that....good thing????

Ummmmm what jet engine?

Bartman

ballaratdragons
18-02-2011, 03:16 AM
You asked about a Jet Engine. I supplied :P

bartman
18-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Oh ok..... stupid me :question::P
:thanx:
Bartman

asimov
18-02-2011, 06:14 AM
It's a tough job alright. A mod will always have someone breathing down their necks for some stupid reason, & quite frankly I wouldn't like to be a mod here. I was a mod elsewhere but I resigned & now I'm a mod in another forum with a relatively small members list.

iceman
18-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Has Ken answered all your questions, Bart?

Like he said, there's no "approval" for posts - everything appears immediately and will potentially be acted on if
(a) a moderator reads it and it needs action
(b) someone else "reports bad post", we will review it.

There's no "shifts". The moderators are just regular members who are on the forum when it suits them. We have enough moderators (with no life ;)) that it's rare for a few hours to have passed before a post needing attention is actioned.

There is a profanity filter, so 'obvious' bad words are replaced with *****. But that's automated by the forum. You can easily write other stuff which would be posted immediately and action taken on it afterwards, if required.

We rely on self-moderation and community. Most people know what's acceptable here and what's not. And if anything does need reviewing, the community can use the "report bad post" button which brings it to the attention of a moderator. This is always the best way, because we can't possible view and read every post that is made on IceInSpace.

Being a moderator is mostly a thankless job, but they do it for the love of the community. It can be very stressful at times, but they do a great job and we have a good laugh sometimes! :)

mill
18-02-2011, 06:46 PM
It is only a thankless job because of some users who think they can complain about everything a mod does :P

[1ponders]
18-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Actually Bart there are times I wish we did have to moderate each post before it went to screen. Maybe that way I could snaffle a few of those really good buys in Icetrade before others see them. :D

Mind you I don't do too badly all the same though, I think I still hold the record for the quickest purchase. ;)

:lol:

leon
18-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Paul, I am not surprised. :P

Leon :thumbsup:

GeoffW1
18-02-2011, 08:01 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

h0ughy
18-02-2011, 08:09 PM
:rofl: you sure about that;)

[1ponders]
18-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Pretty sure :lol: There's only one other person that might beat me Dave ;)

bert
18-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I've had a camera sold within 2 minutes and an another offer a minute after. How fast was yours?

h0ughy
18-02-2011, 08:18 PM
about 1-2min;)

[1ponders]
18-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Oh I don't sell Bert :lol: and are you sure that camera sale wasn't to me :D

Must be close to that Dave. :lol:

Oh and Bert, that second offer was probably from H0ughy :D

ballaratdragons
18-02-2011, 09:12 PM
3 mins is my fastest purchase (and it was free) :lol:

Back in 2005 - http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4508

bartman
19-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Hey Mike, Thank you, yes Ken did and your supplement makes it all the more clearer. I did thank you and all Mods....:thumbsup:;)

Lucky ******* ( lets see if the filter works.....):rofl:
Anyhoe, that's a good insight and I have to agree that a community like this can/will regulate itself without Big Brother.
Wish our government could be like that...... oops politics.....not allowed?:shrug:

Cheers Mike, Paul, David et al......
Bartman
Yep the filter worked.... heheheheheh