PDA

View Full Version here: : Astro-Tech Scopes .... ???

FlashDrive
16-02-2011, 09:04 PM
:shrug: Excuse my ignorance ... but who sells Astro-Tech Scopes in Australia.... :help:.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me ... :thanx:

Tandum
16-02-2011, 09:05 PM
They are mostly just rebranded GSO scopes.
So andrews/bintel etc.

gb_astro
16-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Nobody that I can find.
There is no Australian seller listed on the AT site.

gb.

GrampianStars
17-02-2011, 10:01 AM
just get em from Astronomics :thumbsup:
http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/9UVB2628RW1E9JE6EKJJ10T407/Page/1

Waxing_Gibbous
17-02-2011, 12:54 PM
The reflectors are pretty much the same as GSO, but the refractors are a different kettle of fish.
They're not the same as 'house brands', though I believe the 72mm shares its glass with WO.
You can get them direct from Astro-tech or the 90, 106 and 130's are available with slightly different tubes from KKosai.com in Japan

gb's correct: There is no Aussie dealer, which is a shame, because they are very good scopes. I just hope "whatsitsvision" doesn't get a hold of them and triple the price!!!

FlashDrive
17-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks to ... Peter ... Rob .... gb ... and Robin for your imput.... :D

gb_astro
17-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Last time I tried Astronomics would not sell outside the US.

gb

TheDecepticon
17-02-2011, 09:21 PM
What about OPT? Do they do Astrotech?:question:

rmcconachy
17-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I've made two purchases from them during the last six month. Pete (one of the employees) commented that Astronomics should open a branch in Australia given how much stuff they ship here! There are some items they cannot ship to Australia, e.g., Celestron scopes and Losmandy mounts, but most stuff is fine.

wavelandscott
18-02-2011, 12:40 AM
While living in OZ I had occasion to make a purchase from Astronomics on something not available in Australia. They are nice folks. If you do intend to make a purchase from them do make sure that you join Cloudy Nights first as they "sponsor" that site and you will likely receive a members discount.

With respect to the Astro-tech Scopes I believe that they are made to specification scopes from Asian (maybe GSO) materials. I've never looked through one at night but have seen their gear displayed at NEAF (coming up again in April, hooray) and it all looked/felt nice. They seem to be good value for the money...

Waxing_Gibbous
18-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I've talked to the "Astronomics" people and they will, happily sell outside the US except for Celestron and Meade equipment.
If ordering via the net, there is some funny two-step you have to do to get around the lack of foreign countries(other than Canada), in the drop-down box.
If you contact them, they'll tell you how.

rcheshire
20-02-2011, 03:44 PM
myUS provides an American address. Depending on what and from who you buy, ground shipping in the US plus myUS shipping can work out cheaper than the quotes provided by some US retailers. I sometimes negotiate the shipping costs directly with the retailer by email and have managed a few good deals, particularly from OPT.

gregbradley
20-02-2011, 11:22 PM
There is a 130mm F6 air spaced triplet Astrotech scope for around US$2800 on Astromart. A LZOS lense perhaps? Seems like a hell of a deal if it is.

Greg.

Waxing_Gibbous
21-02-2011, 12:52 AM
The 130 is, alas, not an LZOS lens.
But it is made to quite high specs. in Taiwan, using japanese sourced Ohara blanks.
AFAIK, AT is American owned but it's manufacturing base is in Taiwan.

I think $2800 is wishful as they are $US3000 new (unless there are a bunch of accessories thrown-in).
I've been out for the past 1/2hour 'doing' the moon with their 106 and even with a TAK 7.5 and 2X Ultima barlow, the image remained crisp and colour-free!
So did the thermal whorls, but that's not the scopes fault!

Can't comment on any of their other offerings, but if they are as good as the 106, I don't think anyone would be disappointed.
I gotta admit to being a real 'scope-snob' and (previously) dismissing anything that didn't have an SV, TEC, AP or TAK label on it. But the 106 has made me a convert.
$1500!!! Un-real.