PDA

View Full Version here: : Losmandy G11 with G2

TrevorW
13-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Honest opinions sort

who has a G11 and what do they think of them (please I don't want any non G11 owners putting their 2 bobs worth in and suggesting other mounts)

will the latest mount have improved worm gears or will I need to upgrade those at additional expense

I've got $5000 to spend on a mount and I can't really justify at this point in my life spending $10k on an MX or AP mount

Thanks

icytailmark
13-02-2011, 10:45 AM
im in the same boat im thinking about buying the g11 with the new gemini 2 system.

JohnG
13-02-2011, 11:14 AM
As the owner of a G-11 and the previous owner of a G-11 and GM-8, I feel that for the money they are an excellent intermediate mount, now one could argue that they do need a bit of tweaking here and there, they do. The beauty of this is that they are easy to field strip and do any maintenance, the parts simply unscrew and slide apart. One will need to learn how to adjust the worm to get a decent accuracy although to counter that, the G-11 I have worked well straight out of the box (now sold). The mount is already fitted with the high precision worm and, providing the PE is not jumpy, can be guided out quite sucessfully. Alternatives are getting the new Losmandy one piece worm block or the Ovision block.

As far as the Gemini is concerned, I am used to the Gemini Level 4, all new G-11's will come with the new Gemini 2, I am unable to comment on that although the specs look good. If it is anything like the original Gemini it will have a learning curve although once you have mastered that it is easy to use and your actions become automatic and the pointing is very accurate. Interface with a PC or Laptop is simple via an RS232 cable, I sucessfully use a Serial to USB to connect to my Laptop using Win 7. Autoguiding is simply Plug and Play using the On Camera guiding from PHD, interface with an SBIG camera is the same although with the older Gemini you do need the SBIG Relay Box, ASCOM drivers are freely available. Automatic location and time updating can be done using a StarGPS to save you inputting Lat/Long/UTC formats manually.

When ordering the G-11 you can specify if you want the HD tripod or not, just the mount head or just the mount head with the Digital Drive. Up to you.

They are a heavy mount and built like the proverbial, it is next to impossible to destroy one. The one thing that I do find unsatisfactory is the placement of the motors and gearbox, they do stick out a bit and are exposed to a knock which can damage them during transport, this is even more so when fitted with the Maxon heavy duty motors as they are slightly longer than the standard servos. Another thing with the mount is that the cables are all exposed, something that one works around although I do find it a bit of a pain. The HD tripod has got to one of the best in the business.

All that said, I have now moved on to a Takahashi EM-200 for my portable mount.

As I said earlier, IMO, for the money, it is an excellent intermediate mount and will give many years of great service.

Cheers

mithrandir
13-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm still in the learning phase of my G11+Gemini (bought 2nd hand and in very good nick), but it leaves my previous mount for dead in just about all aspects.

For a portable mount I don't like that it only allows you to use its BSC subset to do initial aligns. It means you can't do much before sunset.

The old one would let you align on Solar System objects including the Sun and Moon, which was enough to confirm you had the mount pointed in close to the right direction.

As long as my G1 isn't broken, I don't see I'll upgrade to a G2 any time soon.

Johns comment about motors is right. You need a good quality case for the head, and the none of the Caseright ones I've seen would fit it without taking to motors off. The head + a Pelican case is around 30Kg.

Andrew

Exfso
13-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I currently own a G11 and am in the process of upgrading to an Ovision worm. I would have to agree with what John says, for the money they are an excellent and very tough mount. If you dont mind doing a bit of tweeking you can almost get them to dance for you....

Waxing_Gibbous
13-02-2011, 02:49 PM
There is one with all the trimmings for sale on CN at the moment for $2500ish, Even with transport and tax, you'd save some $$$$.

leinad
13-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I have G11 G (with Ovision worm)and the HD tripod and it is a solid monster. Much like the standard tripod the legs detach; however the HD tripod has fold-able legs, is heavier, stronger and supports the Titan also from memory with a different top-plate..

JohnG pretty much covered it all.

The motors can be removed for transport.(very easy 2min job)
I have one of those large Bunnings pelican cases that the mount head fits in perfectly for transport with motors removed.

For high focal length imaging most users upgrade to a high precision RA worm(OPW or Ovision).

Excellent intermediate mount; couldn't be happier.

Octane
13-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I get round stars (http://members.optusnet.com.au/mrozycka/Snake_Valley/Snake_Valley_20100314_IC2944.html). : D

H

TrevorW
13-02-2011, 04:04 PM
The folding HD over fixed leg HD is $600 more is their much difference between the two tripods

multiweb
13-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Love my G11. Bang for the buck. Sure there's always better but it's simple enough to strip and maintain as John G. said. Can't see myself changing for a long while. It just does the job for what I'm doing. Very happy camper.

allan gould
13-02-2011, 04:58 PM
All been said above. Love mine and had it 8 years with no motor, gear or electric problems except for a crappy cable. I get round stars and it throws my scope around as if it wasn't there-only alteration was to add better RA worm..
Great mount.

Hagar
13-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Trevor and Mark,
I can only reiterate and agree with everything that has been said here so far. There has been a lot of discussion on this and other forums about inadequacies of the gemini hand controller. All I can say about this is "Absolute Rot." The hand controller of the old gemini and from what the new controller looks like they appear to be very similar in control buttons so I suspect they operate much the same. The system is very simple, quite intuative and easy to master. It does take a while until it becomes almost an involuntary action to control but once you have mastered it the basics can almost be done with your eyes closed.

The mount itself is as solid as any mount on the market and is probably as easy as any to pull apart, service and return to duty either in the field or in the workshop. There is numerous sites on the net showing how to do a service and even how to improve on a great product.

I for one would love one of the high end mounts but even then see myself hanging on to my G11 as a field mount as in it's class and at it's price there isn't much that comes close.

You could do a lot worse than a G11 with Gemini.

tlgerdes
13-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Ditto to what everyone else has already said, I got mine because of Marc's glowing reports.

As for transport, mine still sits in the original freight box, perfectly moulded. I figure if it come to AUS in it, then it is good for everyday storage as well.

Haven't seen a better more stable tripod on anything that is field portable, and I think this is possibly half of its success.

Coming from a Meade 497 hand controller, I intially thought the Gemini 1 hand controller was like stepping back to the dark ages. After using it for 12 months though, it is simplistic...... but it just simply works!:thumbsup: Dont need anything else in the field.

Octane
13-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Also, most of us run planetarium and imaging software with G-11's, so, you can pretty much remove the hand controller from the equation.

I don't see why people get so worked up about it. It's a joy to use.

If you can operate a mobile phone, you can operate Gemini.

H

spearo
13-02-2011, 07:12 PM
You cant go wrong with a G11.

Mine carries a C14, and I get round stars.
frank

avandonk
13-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I want to get a Titan Mount. Is it available yet with the new motors etc?

Bert

mill
13-02-2011, 07:49 PM
According to the Losmandy site a BIG yes :)

JohnG
13-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Bert

The Titan comes with the new Maxon motors and has for a while now, there may be a bit of a delay ATM as they will be shipping with the new Gemini 2.

Cheers

mill
13-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Ah well my mount with gimini2 will come in March as i have been told :cool::cool:

Barrykgerdes
14-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Wrong way round I can operate a Gemini , but a mobile phone? The manual with my mobile phone is much harder to read than the Gemini manual and I still haven't discovered all the things it can do that have no relationship to making a phone call!:lol::lol:

Barry

TrevorW
14-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Well I've put a deposit on one expected sometime in March me thinks, went for the Maxon motor upgrade

mill
15-02-2011, 04:25 PM
You better get it after me because i paid in full :P
Now who can i sell my EQ6 to ??? :lol::lol:

TrevorW
15-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I know for a fact Martin of a couple of people ES looking for an EQ6, also I'm not buying mine through the same place as you so it'll be a race to see who gets it first

Apparently the delay is because Losmandy are still working on the Gemini 2 software

[1ponders]
15-02-2011, 04:58 PM
What more is there to say. Yes I still have my G11 (with G1 / V4) and my G8. I sold my tripod as the mount was going to stay on a pier. I can't see me wanting to sell it. Should have kept the tripod. I doubt you will find a more stable platform in a tripod. Must get a new one before Astrofest.

Bassnut
15-02-2011, 06:40 PM
hehe, thats the only thing that counts. G11 will do that, with fiddling (depending on the load). Dont want to fiddle?, spend $10K. You get what you pay for.

adman
15-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Paul - I am so glad you didn't keep the tripod. I hear it has gone to a good home! :D
Adam

[1ponders]
15-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Bugger. :lol:

TrevorW
15-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Fred I noticed a lot of your images where done using a G11, but alas we all can't afford a PME

:P

Logieberra
08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Do guys have any idea on the delivery timings / factory runs of the G11 G2? Could we be waiting several months for shipments to surface in Oz?

Cheers

TrevorW
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
promised delivery end of March

if not I'll be asking for my money back

Logieberra
08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
That's a firm stance :)

But at the same time, I do need to learn some patience. These precision mounts aren't mass produced in China, and suppliers have no control over factory timelines...

TrevorW
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I might give them until mid April but no longer.

I believe in commitment and also that you shouldn't advertise something for sale unless a) you can either guarantee a delivery time or b) have a definite idea of the how long something will take to supply on back order and you advertise as such

to me its misleading and deceptive conduct otherwise

icytailmark
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
trevorW what scope you plan on putting on the G11? Does the G11 come with a tripod or you gotta buy one as an extra? Can a C14 be used on a G11 for Planetary imaging and observing?

TrevorW
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
A GSO 8" RC with 80ED etc

As far as I know a G11 will support up to 30kg

you can order with or without tripod

pmrid
08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Logan,
the info I have from OPT is that Losmandy deliveries will take a while yet. I received an email from OPT today in response to an inquiry about the Paramount MX (said to be due in the 2nd quarter) saying:

"the waiting list for the Losmandy G112 is quite long and knowing the manufacturer, we are not going to get all of our back orders in one shipment. In other words, you stand a better change of getting the paramount before the Titan mount. "

My read on this is that you can expect to wait until June/July before seeing shipments of G11s with G2 out of the States.

P.S. I posted this reply earlier today but it disappeared. Is this a moderator at work or just a glitch?

Peter.

[1ponders]
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
not moderated Pete

RickS
08-03-2011, 09:24 PM
There's a couple of similar threads, Peter. I think you originally posted in this one: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=71760

Cheers,
Rick.

netwolf
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
The mount is solid and is the best choice i ever made. It is as many call it
"top of the bottom end" and can be tweaked to easily perform as well as if not better than more expensive mounts.

See here.

https://sites.google.com/a/sitechservo.info/chuck-shaw-s-site/Home/g-11-gurley-mounting

This is using a Hi-res ecnoder on the RA similar to the TDM(Telescope drive master) system.

http://www.explorescientific.com/telescopedrivemaster/

The best thing is spare parts for this mount are readily available. And taking it apart is quiet simple and logical. Its easy to clearn and regrease it yourself.

For those looking to get a bargain keep an eye on CN and Astromart. There are always bargains comming up on this mount. I have seen them go for as little as $1300 for non-goto.

Also you dont have to go Goto, our localy made ArgoNavis is a delight to use with this mount.

I was tempted to swithc to the G2 from my Sitech controller, as I like the idea of laptop free operation. But I have been advised it would be prudent to wait and see how the G2 pans out. I have every confidence that it will be as good as the G1 but its not quiet there yet.

TrevorW
09-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Delivery end of March as advised by the man himself

Benny L
09-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey mate, I've got a G11 with Gemini and i'd suggest, if the budget allows, to option up to the Maxon motors. These are the smae motors that are available on the Titan and are a bit more rugged.

The mount is super accurate, I've had 15minute unguided exposures off mine with perfect stars! :D

In short you can't go wrong with the G11 :)

EDIT: tsk tsk I should have read the whole thread before posting :lol: just saw you went for the Maxon motors. Nice choice!

TrevorW
09-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Cheers Ben now I know where to go for some advice

leinad
09-03-2011, 08:23 PM
15mins!? Tat would have to be one heck of a super PEC routined; polar aligned mount or a scope with focal length of <200mm :P

It sure makes that EQ6Pro look like a cheap chinese toy. :)

Did you go with accessories? Garmin GPS ? Polar scope/ Polar scope Illuminator? Clutch knob set?
Make life alot easier.

TrevorW
09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
No I have a GPS unit that plugs into my laptop

Did'nt get polar scope as I didn't see the point, I've never used the one on the EQ6

Clutch knob set what are those for I thought it came with clutch knobs as indicated i nthe images

Benny L
09-03-2011, 09:34 PM
hahaha PEC, drift aligned with a tsa-102 on its back ;) never the less quite impressive :eyepop:

Exfso
10-03-2011, 12:41 AM
The Losmandy with Gemini 2 are in Australia, I was at Matthew Lovell's today and one was delivered just before I got there, ok it was still in the box, but the description of the contents was definitely a Gemini 2 version.

Logieberra
11-03-2011, 12:28 AM
While we wait for our orders to suface, consider joining the Yahoo User Group dedicated to the new hardward ("Gemini-II") and report back here... There is no user manual available as yet, so this is the best we've got.

I like the sound of the web interface / RJ45 hookup.

It will be an enjoyable learning curve. If I can work a Meade 497 and Synscan - how tough can it be? :)

Logie.

icytailmark
11-03-2011, 04:18 PM
i just ordered a losmandy g11 with g2. I also got the maxxon motors too because im putting a C14 on it. I was told 2- 3 weeks wait.:thumbsup:

Bassnut
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Thats the point, the G11 is fine with possibly a bit of fiddling. PME is the no fiddle option.

Bassnut
11-03-2011, 06:33 PM
It comes with plain cerated knobs. The option is knobs with little sticking-out handles, required IMO, order them now, you will need them.

TrevorW
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Instead of paying an additonal $113 for 3 little knobs that should be there in the first place IMO how hard would it be to make some up on a lathe then drill some holes to tap and die

leinad
11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Who knows; but with the materials and labour(if not doing yourself) it would come close to the same cost. Best to get them.

Reason? Either use a strong two-handed grip and muscle to loosen/tighten the stndard clutch knobs.. Or use easy leverage with the 3-lever clutch knob set to loosen the clutch grip.

It a shame its not standard; but they really DO help.

TrevorW
11-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't think it would be much to modify the existing ones all you need would be some 5 - 10mm al rod cut 6 pieces to about 50mm then turn down to thread then drill and tap the original knob to fit or buy 6 hex head 5mm bolts, money is the mother of all necessity

Buying new ones means I end up with a perfectly good set I no longer need

leinad
11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
You'll need the stock clutch knobs for putting the mount in the box or a case; as the lever set stick out.

See how you go.

wasyoungonce
12-03-2011, 01:55 PM
My std G11 clutch knobs were binding and hard to adjust. I removed them and put some grease on the threads. Now thay are much easier to get good tension.

Logieberra
13-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, can you please measure the head of your G11. Canberra day long weekend, up nth visiting my dad, he works at a hardware store and can grab me a cheap case.

Logieberra
13-03-2011, 09:15 PM
And do these things come out of the factory all lubed up? Perhaps you can recommend a quality lube for the worms etc.

Ta.

leinad
13-03-2011, 11:12 PM
All good with those Craft right cases from Bunnings.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=656197&postcount=39

Logieberra
14-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks, but as requested, can someone pls post dimesions of the G11 head w' Maxons. I do not have access to the Craftright line.

Given the cost of these precision mounts, I figure that a good storage / travel case should be one of the first 'upgrades'... plenty of time for glow in the dark spongy pads!

Logie.

tlgerdes
14-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Logan,

I still carry mine around in the shipping box that it came in 18months ago. I figured if it can fly here in it then must be suitable for transport.

Have re-inforced the packing tape around the box, but that is it.

The head travels 250kms each way to Wiruna every month in the car without ill effect.:thumbsup:

Logieberra
14-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Good point Trevor :) Will sit tight and look at re-enforcing as well.

tlgerdes
14-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Tbe box doesnt look the prettiest, but I am sure a child and some textas could fix that, or can of red spray paint.:lol:

TrevorW
15-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Anyone one know what type of power connector the mount has is it the same as the EQ6 connector a picture would be nice

thanks

leinad
15-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Cigarette socket plug as usual. They've gone with a different cable though compared to previous Gemini.

http://astrosurf.com/astrostef/Files/setup.jpg

TrevorW
15-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Car cigarette lighter plug maybe they should have an alternative plug for those that want to power it from an ac/dc adapter

is it centre pin positive

MarkA
16-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Just took delivery of a G11 with G2, Maxon motors and OPWB on both axis.
:D:D:D

mill
16-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Ok gimme the dirt on it, does it look sexy? :P

Logieberra
16-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Lucky bugger :) A few weeks behind you...

icytailmark
16-03-2011, 09:17 PM
anyone got the mount yet? is it good or what?

mill
17-03-2011, 04:56 PM
It looks sexyyyyyyyyy :cool::cool:
I have the G11 g2 standing here in front of me and jst testing the usb connection and slewing.
All well sofar exept for that it slews the wrong way.
I have to wait for a counter weight that they forgot to pack in Sydney but should have it tomorrow or next day.
The hand controller is very easy to use and setup (not that i will need it when connected to my laptop).
So now to find out why it slews the wrong way:)
And also it looks like i am the only one in VIC to have the gemini 2 from Bintel in Melbourne.
I dont know if anyone in Vic has ordered the new G2.

TrevorW
17-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Do you have to set it for Sth Hemi operation also are you running from a battery if so can you test the middle pin for me and let me know if it's positive

thanks

JohnG
17-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Martin

You need to input your UTC, Lat and Long in the correct format, look in the manual, then it will track and slew for the SH.

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Cheers

mill
17-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I got it running on the AC powersupply for the EQ6 and the middle pin is positive

Stupid and again stupid me in my enthousiasm i connected the RA motor to the DEC output and vice versa :screwy:.
Fitted the leads correctly and the mount works as it should.
Steering it from The sky6 is a breeze and it slews everywhere properly as i can see (got it setup indoors).
No handcontroller needed and my usb gps is recognized by the Gemini Ascom driver and also updates the hand controller thru usb :thumbsup:

icytailmark
17-03-2011, 06:55 PM
martin i wanna see pics!!! did u get the maxxon motors?

desler
17-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Marty, relax, read the instructions and leave the tinkering tools in the shed.

I'm so happy for you, hope it all goes well mate!

Now, if we could just have some clear skies please!

Darren

mill
17-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Ok some pics :)

Awwww :( so i can't use the angle grinder :rofl::rofl:
Saturday should be clear mate :thumbsup:

Exfso
17-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Martin, I see you only have the standard motors. Do yourself a favor and get the ra and dec clutch knob doodads, much easier for tightening up the clutches. It looks damn nice, now dont go pulling it to bits mate:P

mill
17-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Oops you mean all the parts that are now on the kitchen table? :rofl:
PS: The standard motors are servo motors now and not steppers, and it has precision worms standard.
I will see if i can make a trace with pecpro.

icytailmark
18-03-2011, 03:33 PM
thanks martin it looks awesome!!! I cant wait to get mine. Whats the name of the planetarium program in the last screenshot?

Logieberra
18-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Thx for the pics Martin. This has been a fun thread to follow... for those of us awaiting deliver :)

mill
18-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Mark that is TheSky 6.

Thank you Logan :)

Logieberra
31-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Guys - I have enjoyed using the RJ45 / Network cable to controll the G2. But I want to run my mount from indoors and controll the whole setup via Teamview 6 on both computers (netbook next to mount and desktop from indoors). This will use up the single network plugs.

Does the USB connection work well. Any issues?

Or should I go with USB-Serial connection?

Cheers!

Logieberra
13-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Guys - another question.

The G2 unit has two 12 - 18V inputs/ouputs.

I plan on powering the unit with 18V DC, does this mean that 18V is the output via the other / spare output? I want to run my dew controller from there, but it's a 12V DC unit...

wasyoungonce
13-07-2011, 01:50 PM
The 2nd connector will have the same voltage as the input its a straight pass thru connection.

Logieberra
13-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Thx mate. Logie.