PDA

View Full Version here: : Trouble with USB

p1taylor
11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Having trouble with new ASCOM driver and MAXIM it will only run in one USB port and not the others, before it was OK in any of them, if I dont ues new one it is OK, is it possible it is only letting MAXIM us a specific port.

peter

jjjnettie
12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Aye, a common enough problem.
You'll probably have to reload the driver for each port if you want them all to work with it.
Otherwise just use that one port.

mithrandir
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
You will find life is much simpler if you always plug your USB to serial converters in exactly the same port.

Not just the same port in the computer. If you are using an external hub, the hub has to be in the same PC port, and the converter in the same port in the hub.

Label everything is the way to go.

My solution has been disputed a few times here, but works for me.

Make sure you have driver installers for all your devices.

Unplug all your USB to serial devices.

Right click "my computer". Select "manage".
Select "device manager".
"view" menu -> "show hidden devices"
Expand" ports (com & lpt)"
Right click each USB to serial entry, and "uninstall" from the menu.

Reboot.

Starting with any external hubs, decide where you want each cable to go every time you will plug it in.

Plug the hubs in one by one.

Plug the other cables in one by one.

Windoze should reinstall all the drivers, and the USB to serial COM ports should start numbering from close to zero.

p1taylor
12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
jjjnettie, thank you for your quick reply will try as you say.

reboot, I only ues USB, no HUBS or USBtoSERIAL COM PORTS.

peter

Barrykgerdes
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
This worked for me on XP sp3.

When I move an item from one USB port to another for the first time I do not plug it in till the computer is up and running. The computer should then find a new USB item and look for the driver. If the driver is already on the computer it should find it OK and install it on that port.

Barry

OzRob
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
That's how I do it and I have never had a problem with the computer not recognising the equipment since. I even plug in the native USB devices in the same port each time.

p1taylor
12-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Usually that is what happens on mine Barry, it just installs it to that Port, but not this driver.

Rob the trouble is it has not happened before it as always installed it, but sum thing is stopping this happening with this ASCOM DRIVER, and would like to now what.

peter