PDA

View Full Version here: : for visual use: 10" Newt vs C9.25 on EQ mount

troypiggo
09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
If you didn't have a dob base for a 10" newt, so it had to go on your EQ mount, would you try to persevere with the newt (ending up in all sorts of contortions chasing the eyepiece all over the place) or would you be satisfied with the C9.25 for visual use?

Alternatively I've been reading about methods of being able to rotate via (expensive) Parallax rotating rings or the cheaper so-called "Wilcox" ring mod as per Cloudy Nights forum.

Other option is to modify a dob base to mount the newt on. This would be a bit (lot) of a pain for me to achieve.

But if there's no reason why I shouldn't be happy with using the C9.25 on the EQ mount, I wouldn't bother with the above DIY jobbies.

What are your thoughts? I guess for visual I've always thought of dobs being the first option most take.

mental4astro
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi Troy,

Making a dob base for an existing newt. OTA isn't difficult. I've done it for several newt's, and they can cost as little as $50 to make, with all the bits and pieces from our mates at Bunnings, other than the Teflon, which is inexpensive too. The whole dob mount is way cheaper too than a new scope. The method I've done it allows the OTA to be remounted on an existing eq. mount as no harm is done to the tube.

Isn't there a mate who could help you make the mount? It can be done in a weekend, and a slab in return is hard to knock back.

A dob mounted scope is always easier to use than an equatorial. Tracking is possible by adding Argo-Navis and Servo-Cat afterwards if you feel you need it. If it's a visual scope you are after, I'm sure you'll get more use of a dob than an equatorially mounted SCT.

Mental.

mbaddah
09-02-2011, 04:19 PM
There's no question about it i'd opt for the C9.25 sct. I've used both so I'm talking from experience. Newts on EQ platform for visual use is not a pleasurable experience for me. Others may differ. The C925 is a fantastic compromise between aperture and portability I find.

Ditto what Alexander said :)

troypiggo
09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Alexander - I'm a loser and have no mates. There's a few guys who talk to me, but I think they're just tolerating me and talk about me behind my back.

alistairsam
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi Alexander,

slightly off topic question, is that an 8" F4 on a Dob mount in your post?
how does the square wood frame hold the tube.
maybe need to ask this question in a different thread.
sorry didnt mean to steal the thread troy.

Dennis
09-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi Troy

I have a power saw and router - if you provide the plans and materials I'd be happy to help you knock up a dobsonian mount.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Dennis

dannat
09-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Tory -you sound just like me :thumbsup:, we should start our own club;)
my wife keeps telling me we (she means I ) have no friends

troypiggo
09-02-2011, 06:35 PM
No worries mate :thumbsup:

G'day Dennis - long story, didn't want to go into it here. I actually do have a dob base for a 12" that I did intend modding to take my 10". Needed to be bigger because I wanted to be able to keep the tube rings and dovetails on the 10" and was going to used them and have a removable disk type thing to sit in the dob base. Got the idea in my head, just not the time or inclination to proceed any further at this stage.

Thanks so much for the kind offer. You're a legend. :)

Lol. I was kinda kidding, but would love to be in your club. Haha. What's the secret handshake?

peter_4059
09-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Troy,

I think you should mount a dob base on your EQ6. You might have a chance of seeing those green DSO's that have been eluding you.

:poke:

Peter

troypiggo
09-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Dob base ON the EQ6! Now why didn't I think of that?! Genius! Thanks for thinking outside the box, mate. :)

Octane
09-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Visual? You should be ashamed of yourself!

H

troypiggo
09-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I know. I nearly created a new alias here so noone knew it was me. But that wouldn't be kosher, would it. Hahaha.

mental4astro
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
For those who would like a little more info on these dobbie mounts, here are a couple of links I started on the two mounts pictured below.

The first is to the 8" f/4 scope. I made a new mirror cell for it with hickny, and we share this amazing little scope:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=56400

This second link is for a 4.5" scope that belongs to my wife's school she's a teacher at. It wasn't being used because it was mounted on an eq. mount that scared the crap out of everyone who even momentarily entertained the idea of using it:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49203

Common Troy, come back to The Light. Come back to visual astronomy. Revel in the enlightenment! :innocent: :prey: :abduct:

Logieberra
11-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Ladder from Bunning - $39.95

EQ6 legs fully extended.

Priceless.