PDA

View Full Version here: : Observing chairs?

DougAdams
02-02-2005, 10:14 AM
The one piece of equipment I'm missing is an observing chair. Can anyone recommend a quality chair that is (obviously) height adjustable, transportable and would be suitable for Dob/Reftractor use? I guess it doesn't have to be a astronomical specific, just practical!

I don't have the skills/time to build one like Iceman did.

[1ponders]
02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Doug, check out this link http://www.cloudynights.com/lab/accessories/chairs.pdf , a couple of good ideas. I'm not sure how available they are in Australia but you may be able to import them or get someone to build one similar

iceman
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Some people have used a drummers stool that can go up and down, though i'm not sure how high it would go, for if your dob is pointing above 50-60 degrees in altitude. and I don't know how high you need to be for your refractor.

I think everyone should get or make an observing chair.. after I first made mine I didn't really use it that much, it was just an extra bit of a pain that I didn't think was worth the effort.

But I made an effort and started using it, and i'm amazed at how much more comfortable it is when viewing while sitting. You're not wobbling around, your head is not wobbling around, you don't get a sore back/neck/legs, and because you're comfortable, you can just sit for longer and take in more detail.

I got my wife to sit on the chair and look at Saturn for a longer time, just study it, looking carefully, and she finally made out the CD and the banding. When you're not uncomfortable you can see more because you can look for longer.

Of course you have to move the chair sometimes, when you move your scope, but it's worth it.

gaa_ian
02-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I have started to use an old gas lift drafting chair that I was able to salvage, there should be plenty of these around 2nd hand, as almost knowone uses drafting boards anymore.
This is a step beyond the drummers chair, having foot & back support.
I agree it makes quite a difference to your observing & is worth the effort.

Dave47tuc
02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Best chair or stool i saw was the one Geoff is useing:D

He may explain:whistle:

Best.

:astron:

Starkler
02-02-2005, 12:37 PM
:lol2:

My stool is a standard wooden legged bar stool I scavenged from a neighbors rubbish heap . :ashamed:
I just cut the legs to an appropriate length. While not adjustable, it does fine for my 10 inch dob.

I think its good to have a lightweight, rigid framed chair that can be moved or dragged one handed, as opposed to a folding design that may collapse if you drag it around or sit on it the wrong way.

Geoff

ving
02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
i dont know geoff... sounds pretty high tech!:confuse3:

I use a plastic outdoor setting type chair also "salvaged" from a neighbours rubbish heap :ashamed:

LOL

rumples riot
02-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Always been a stand on your feet man myself, but in between observing I usually sit in my beach chair. I know it does not solve you problem, but I just wanted to let you know that some of us prefer to stand. Beside you can get really cold when you sit for a long time. Standing seems to take the edge off.

Good luck with finding the chair.

rmcpb
02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I simply use one of those fold up camp stools. Its the right height for my f6 200mm sith only a small stretch at zenith.

[1ponders]
02-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Camp chair is good. Perfect height for fold up table holding laptop lenses etc, and when using an eyepiece, looking toward upper altitudes.

gaa_ian
02-02-2005, 11:18 PM
proves one thing Amateur Astronomers are a resourceful lot ...
So Many good solutions
:)

DougAdams
03-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Wow, that's an interesting mix if suggestions.

The best I'd come up with was the old ergonomic "kneel" chairs that seemed to be height adjustable. I haven't seem them around for a few years, but I assume you can still get them.

The drafting chair sounds fantastic, however I think it may lose out on the portability. Still, I'll go and look at Office Works.

I have a music store near me - I'll go and check out what seats/thrones they have.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Starkler
03-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Every time I move the scope to view a new target, the chair of course has to move also.
So the process is aim the scope, get into position, and pull the stool up under my rump.
I would find a heavy gas lift stool annoying to use that way.

Striker
04-02-2005, 11:40 PM
My dream chair......

RAJAH235
05-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Hi Guys, Doug, have you tried your local SALVOs store? They usually have a goodly selection of chairs for sale. Probably pick one up for $5.00 or so.
Mike, here's a pic of my home build.( forgot to include the back cushion).
ps. Bit big, but fits in my Datsun S/W O.K.

Starkler
05-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Now THIS (http://www.starchair.com/images/gallery5_b.jpg) is a dream chair :)

iceman
05-02-2005, 06:41 AM
haha awesome!

Nice chair Laurie!

and Striker, pink really is your colour!

Dave47tuc
05-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Totally agree Geoff:D

That is awsome.

DougAdams
05-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi chaps, it looks like I've got an angle on a drummer's chair. I went out to a music store in Flemington during my lunch break. Sat on every "throne" in the place (insert joke here). I pretty much decided this was the way to go - small, not too heavy, and will store away nicely.

Went back to work and was talking to the guy who works the coffee bar in the foyer. Guess what, he's a drummer and has one for sale - with a backrest. He's bringing it in on Monday for me to check out.

I was reading Phil Harrington's Star Ware last night and sure enough, there under observing chairs, was "go and check out musician's seats"... don't know how I missed that.

Thanks again for all the great advice...

DougAdams
08-02-2005, 03:13 PM
... and here it is. Good range of height, and strong too (look it's holding the moon up).

Jimmy
08-02-2005, 03:56 PM
I just use my foldup fishing chairs from bunnings at a cost of around 10 dollars each. Paul R, your MAD getting someone to build you a chair that will cost hundreds of dollars!
:eyepop:

LOL

goodluck, and goto bunnings.

[1ponders]
08-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Ahhh yes but think of the status when you go to star partiesn from owning a custom built observing chair:P