PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade 12 inch LX200 OTA : taking FOREVER to get here!!!!!

robz
29-01-2011, 08:39 PM
:mad2::mad2: Ordered 25 November 2010 :doh:!!!!!!!!!!!

Bintel have responded this week that'' shipment is due(from them to me...I hope!!??) 21 February 2011'' :rolleyes:.............''but it will be worth the wait'':juggle:

Well it better be, as I paid for it in full and the money is in their bank ........not mine :rolleyes:

I have reasonable patience, but even this is testing me:shrug:

I've been wanting a large SCT for over 40 years, so a few more weeks doesn't seem like much does it?...................NOT! :(

Bassnut
29-01-2011, 08:47 PM
These sort of times are not unusual, patience, its not Bintels fault. When the 12" LX200L 1st came out, I waited 6 mths. 6-7 mths is not unusual.All the bits of my 1st rig (mount,cam,OTA)took over 6 mths.

strongmanmike
29-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeh and I ordered (and paid for in full) my 12" F3.8 astrograph from Orion Optics UK in Sept 10 and it's not here yet, current ETA is early Feb...although mine is being somewhat customised and built from scratch of course :question:...one needs patience for sure :rolleyes:...they will arrive, hang in there Robo :thumbsup:

Mike

Hagar
30-01-2011, 12:13 AM
The wait can be long but in the end it is usually worth the wait.
I waited near on 5 months for a 2.5" field flattener from TCS in Germany only to find they sent me the wrong adapters so 2 months later I am still waiting.
They did offer to refund me. I bought it with US dollars at about 60Cents /dollar and they would refund at 98cents /dollar less postage so it was only going to cost me $200 Aust for an item I dont have.
Good for them not so good for me.

Hopefully my bits will arrive this year and be correct this time.

robz
30-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll need to stretch the patience bucket more than anticipated from the responses and experiences here.

Oh well,............It will be something to look forward to I guess.
In the mean time, I can start to buy the bits and pieces that need to go with it.

:thumbsup:

GrampianStars
30-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Robz
Suck It Up there buddy :lol:
I've ordered a CDK 14" estimated delivery is February 2012 :rolleyes:

renormalised
30-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Do Planewave even make a 14" scope????. In any case, they advertise a 90 day wait from time of order. Even if you had to wait another month or two it wouldn't matter, but having to wait till Feb next year is a little bit much.

Although, I suppose that isn't as bad as waiting for an AP scope!!!!!.

GrampianStars
30-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Starting production in Oct 2011 :thumbsup:

renormalised
30-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Well, that's a 4 month wait, which is normal.

I didn't know they had a 14" in the pipeline, but I did know they had a 1.5m and a 2.5m scope designed and ready to build. The 1.5m was to be produced as an on order commercial proposition, the 2.5m on special order basis only.

robz
31-01-2011, 01:07 PM
:eyepop::eyepop:...............I could grind and polish a 30 inch mirror by then!:lol:

norm
31-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Hi Rob,

As others have mentioned, the wait will be worth it and make it that much enjoyable when it arrives!

BTW: The average SDM probably takes 12months in the making :)

Cheers, Norm

robz
31-01-2011, 05:13 PM
O.K guys, just took a patience pill and a glass of Eno..................hope it helps ? :)

Icky
01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I reckon if anyone were willing to buy a second hand, as new 12" Meade ACF OTA for $2600 from the Iceinspace classifieds, they'd have it in their hands in about a week. :P :whistle:

Ian

robz
01-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah......right:rolleyes:
Before ordering a new OTA, I had MANY chances to purchase a 12 inch Meade SCT.

In every instance, I could NOT ''pick up'' as I'm located in Perth, and secondly, the cost of freight to ensure that your scope doesn't arrive in a box of glass shards, was outrageous!!!!:mad2:

I could go on with other factors that made it just that bit more difficult, but won't bother so good luck with your sale.

Cheers,
Rob.

Brundah1
04-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Rob,

Not high jacking your thread, since you mentioned exorbitent freight costs to WA for a Meade 12.

I have just used E-go to move Ian's G11 in four cartons from Newcastle to Brisbane (Depot to Depot) costs including insurance were very very reasonable. Delivery time 3 days and all tracked and ID checked on delivery. Boxes and (contents well packed) were undamaged.:thumbsup:

Used E-go because others here had recommended them.

Note using E-go depot to depot saves 50%, you have several depots in WA.

Cheers,

David:)

Barrykgerdes
04-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Here's one for you to think about.

I supply Internet to one of my neighbours free (it doesn't cost me anything). He runs a freight/rmovalist business. He had 50KG of delicate test equipment packed and freighted from Adelaide for me gratis.

It pays to get on with your neighbours.

Barry

robz
07-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your input guys.
The problem I encountered over here were:

1. We don't do Eastern States..........????!!!
2. It'll cost you around $600 :eyepop:(I had another quote from a different company for $800!)
3.'' Oh............sorry................ ....about that freight quote............because it's off the beaten track and not in the city, we're not prepared to do it''

4. ''We don't do telescopes''...............''or anything optical''
5. ''We can do it for $350 but take no responsibility for damages''

So, you can see why I bought new through Bintel, even though it will take a while yet before I get it.

E -go may have been the way to go,but I got sick and tired of companies trying to rip me off and having questionable reputations to go with it.

I can smell a rat from a long way off..........................the air is clear now.