PDA

View Full Version here: : System changes?

Buddman
28-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I have a major problem, I work for Education Queensland and have been using the provided laptop (windows 7) to control a HEQ5 Pro mount through a GPUSB adaptor using PHD Guiding as well as controlling a DSLR or a QHY9 - no problems.

Last week I resumed school and since we connocted to the system I have not been able to use PHD to connect to my mount and the QHY9 is no longer recognised. Ed Qld regularly send out "adjustments" for how our computers work which is my main suspect for the dramas.

I can control the GPUSB using a check tool from shoe string astronomy but no software will communicate. I have tried deleting and re-installing both PHD and K3CCD (which can also use the GPUSB to guide) and the drivers - no luck.

They also lock off the recycle bin which I can restore using a batch file so I'm wondering if I can find where the fault is I might be able to reverse the setting.

Any ideas how I might be able rectify this? Our IT guy has no idea what they have done but is not surprised. I have sent a request to the IT dept but there has been no reply.

Am I going to have to buy a laptop to use the schools equipment (scope, mount and camera) or is there a way around?

Please help if at all possible:sadeyes::sadeyes:

Adam

supernova1965
30-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Without being able to sit at the laptop I am wondering if they have changed some permissions:confused2: that previously allowed you to control your equiptment. If you are using it for the schools equiptment and not your personal gear I would be screaming blue murder at your IT department and explain that it did work and give dates and times when it stopped working so they can check error messages to find the change that caused the problem. If you get no response I would ask further up the food chain even if they are busy they should give you and indication that they have recieved your support request.

DJDD
30-01-2011, 07:33 AM
For PHD: the communication between PHD and the mount may be being blocked by the firewall...see if you can disable the firewall and try again.

for the QHY9: as supernova1965 mentioned, permissions may be an issue. It could be that you no longer have the right to install hardware, although, since you have used the QHY9 before the drivers should be loaded already. Have a look in Device manager and se if there are any Unknown Devices, one of which may be the QHY9.

since it is school equipment their helpdesk/IT support should help.

anyway, just a couple of ideas.

DavidTrap
30-01-2011, 07:59 AM
I've had a problem with a Shoestring Shutter box and WinXP running under Windows 7. The box isn't recognised - it doesn't come up as a Human Interface??

Could it be something similar?

I've tried the Shoestring forum with no success. I might have to reformat the computer with Windows XP directly as I think it may be the fact it is running in a virtual mode.

DT

Buddman
30-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the ideas guys,

I am going to keep hammering on the IT dept's door.

Had a new development yesterday, tried to open an email without being connected to any network and was told that windows could not allow that to happen and gave me guest acces only - can't get to any of my files/programs at all and can't connect to my home network.

I am praying that it will connect fine at work tomorrow where I will transfer everything to an external drive. I've got backups so I shouldn't lose too much if it goes belly-up.

Wish they could just leave everything the way it was.

Adam