PDA

View Full Version here: : Aiming Scope Methods

rmcpb
02-02-2005, 08:14 AM
A quick coment. My scope came with a finder scope attached, as most do. Its a straight through one and I originally had problems using it to acutally find things. For this reason I attached a Telrad and this has been my workhorse for locating objects, especially for star hopping and from the Telrad Charts.

Now, with a bit of practice, I can use my finder scope with both eyes open to superimpose the images on eachother. As a result I am finding myself using this method more and the Telrad less.

Both methods have their uses and reverting back to a finder scope is a bit contrary to the common lines of thinking I see on most forums, not that it worries me.

What methods do you use to aim your scope ? :shrug:

ving
02-02-2005, 10:27 AM
i want one with a diagonal in it... $100 from andrews if someone wants to buy it for me :)

right eye for finder, left eye for EP. i line up the finder by using the adjustment screw on the top of the finder first... works great but not at high angles

rmcpb
02-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I thought that was a good way to go in the beginning BUT after getting used to the two eye method the diagonal would wreck that little shortcut. Besides, it costs money that could be used elsewhere.

Cheers

iceman
02-02-2005, 11:05 AM
I've started doing the 2-eye method using my standard straight-thru finder, it works quite well on bright objects (stars/planets), but didn't find it worked so well (for me) on open/glob clusters.. maybe I just need more practise at it.

I've also found that I can align the scope pretty well just by looking along the top of the finder.. I usually align that way first, and find it's near the crosshairs when I look through the finder, and do a final adjustment that way. If the EP FOV is wide enough, sometimes that naked eye positioning is all I need.

I've gotten pretty good at it from my dob webcam imaging, because I have to realign every 12 seconds as the object drifts through the FOV.

I'm thinking of getting a Telrad, would be good with the charts you mention.. but now you've got me thinking whether I should, if you think the 2-eye method eliminates the need for a telrad :shrug:

rmcpb
02-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Mike,

Doesn't eliminate the need, especially with the navigation charts available for telrads. I am not saying telrads are not needed just curious on the methods people use to line up their scope.

Cheers

rumples riot
02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
I use both eyes, one looking through the 8 x50 and the other to help orientate with the first. However, once I have got a fix and alignment is happening, I tend not to use the finder at all. I just command the beast to show me the next site. LOL.

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I made myself a quick-finder.

12" of 50mm PVC pipe, 1 - 50mm 90 degree PVC bend, and a small piece of mirror (normal household mirror).

I set the mirror at 45 degrees in the bend. Placed the pipe into the bend, coat of paint, lined it up and mounted it.

The quickfinder is located where I can see into it standing exactly where I stand when viewing.

It gives a very clear view of the area I want to look at. Once the area is quickly located I then use the 8X50 finder to centre the object I am after.

More often than not, when I look through the finder, I have the object near centre with the quickfinder! (comes with practice)

Sometimes I don't even use a finder, just the quickfinder.

I need to get a camera to show you these things I've made.

rmcpb
02-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Now that's what I call great scrounging :)

iceman
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Great idea for a quickfinder! How did you line it up and mount it to the scope?

Is it adjustable, or did you just make sure it was pointing in the right direction to start with? :)

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I lined it up the same way you line up a finder.

Centre the object in the scope and work backwards.

I made mounting rings out of, yes, PVC tube!

I have another one I made that is fully adjustable. I made a miniature spider system and mounted the piece of mirror onto it.
Problem is the tube is too small (1.25") so I don't use it (lousy FOV). It's in the shed somewhere giving spiders a home.

See why I need a camera. It's hard to explain home made items.

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 01:18 PM
The qickfinder is adjustable in a sense.

In each mounting ring I placed 3 - 2"X6mm bolts to line up with.

Would be a bit of a bother for a qick adjustment but I have never had to do one.

ving
02-02-2005, 02:45 PM
so many ppl making home made stuff! :)

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Why not. It's cheaper.

I made both my old 4 1/4" Reflector and my 3 1/2" Refractor at home mainly out of PVC and spit!

Home made is Good made :P

ving
02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
homebrand is the best brand :P

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
We kind of forgot about Rob's original question.

Sorry Rob.

Continue.

gbeal
02-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Two eyes for me, never used a Telrad. The disadvantage of a Telrad is the dimmer star hopping use, whereas with a decent 50mm, (or even the 30mm Tak finder) I can star hop. Horses for courses though.
Gary

Striker
02-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Why use a finder scope......Just type what you want on the keypad and push GOTO.....lol.....

rmcpb
03-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Definitely not a Dob Noob :D

Starkler
03-02-2005, 09:15 AM
*takes off his moderators hat*

Whatever will you do if your batteries go flat, or one of the many mechanical or electrical parts go faulty ?
Only thing better than a dob is a bigger dob :D

Back on topic, I have a rigel and a right angle finder (raci). The rigel helps give a starting point for the raci finder.
When I had the standard straight through finder, I found the two-eyes-open method worked well.

ving
03-02-2005, 09:32 AM
gunna have to do the 2 eyes thing me thinks...