PDA

View Full Version here: : Observation planning software.

andrew2008
27-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I am looking into programs to allow me to make observing plans and log observations. Haven't had a big look into what is available and the features yet but am wondering what is out there. The 2 that i do know are around are Starry Night enthusiast and Astro Planner. Telescope control isn't needed so i really don't need all the bells and whistles. Basically looking for a program to let me know when these objects are up and the best time to observe them. The ability to print charts of constellations with these objects would also be good.

My project i am about to start is working my way back through the Messier objects (i now have a smaller scope and some will be a challenge to see again), and also tackle the Caldwell objects and O'Meara's Hidden Treasures. I am sure some i have observed already but unfortunately haven't kept detailed observing logs until now.

allan gould
27-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Astroplanner has it all and version 2 will be a cracker

floyd_2
27-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Ive been using Deepsky 2007 for years with a lot of success. However, I've been very keen to grab Sky Tools 3 for the last few months. No doubt I'll take the plunge sooner or later :confuse3:

RobF
27-01-2011, 08:09 PM
+1 for Astroplanner - even just the free version
You get the MEssier and full NGC catalogues, and can import catalogues with only a little fiddling. Easy to keep notes. Great piece of software - always my first Goto software when planning a night, weekend or star party :thumbsup:

andrew2008
27-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I am having some trouble finding info on the planning aspects of these programs and if they are actually what i am looking for. For example say i want to spend a night going through the Caldwell objects. Would Astroplanner be able to list all objects seen on a given night, or even in a 2 or 3 hour window, and list the objects best positioned during that time?

JohnG
28-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I have been using DeepSky Astronomy Software for years and have just received the latest version, DeepSky 2011, it has a lot of major improvements over previous versions, see http://www.deepsky2000.com/index.htm

I also use SkyTools 3, Pro version, another excellent program, http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html

Cheers

Octane
28-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Starry Night Pro Plus 6 will allow you to create an observing list, based on rise/set/altitude/magnitude, etc., and, then you can keep observation notes for each object in the list.

Being an imaging person, I've never tried this aspect of the software, however, I have used it to generate ephemeris of potential imaging target(s) for a given night/week.

H

peter_4059
28-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Yes - you can specify location, time/window, type of object, catalogue....

I use Astroplanner to do everything including set up the Eqmod pointing model and drive the scope gotos.

Merlin66
28-01-2011, 06:34 PM
AstroPlanner does it all!
Thumbs up from me.

norm
28-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Skytools v3.0 standard edition.

Just picked it up recently and is great to use!

Cheers, norm:)

andrew2008
29-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

After looking at these i have ordered Sky Tools 3. The demo on their website of the planner and printable charts sold me on it. Just looks easier and more intuitive than what i saw of the others.

higginsdj
29-01-2011, 04:22 PM
+1 for astroplanner. A major boon for my asteroid observational work.

Cheers

astro744
29-01-2011, 06:22 PM
SkyTools 3 Pro is excellent. You can generate countless observing lists and there are many lists included as well as many more free downloadable user lists that include Burnhams Celestial Handbook, Deep Sky wonders, Night Sky Observers Guide and many others. Quick observing lists based on object type or simply the best 'what's up tonight' can be generated with the click of a button.

Note the Pro version has a lot more stars and is well worth the extra expense. See http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html

floyd_2
30-01-2011, 07:28 AM
I finally cracked and bought SkyTools 3 Pro last night. I don't normally go outside to observe without a plan for the night, and I usually log my observations. SkyTools 3 Pro looks like a very worthy successor to my existing Deepsky 2007. Looking forward to receiving my new toy :D

Dean

floyd_2
08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Just a very quick update - my copy of Sky Tools Pro 3 arrived yesterday. I installed it, configured it and had a good look through it last night and am really happy with what I see. It's certainly a much more thorough tool than Deep Sky 2007 is, and well worth the money. Let the planning and logging begin!

I wonder if I'll go back to my old ways of recording my observations into my minidisc recorder and having Dragon Naturally Speaking turn it back into text for me at the computer after the night is over...

Dean

tonybarry
08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
+1 for AstroPlanner v2. I have a list of Galaxies, dec less than +30, with mag < 12. I sort them according to altitude above the horizon at my site. Presto - a list of What To Look At on a given evening.

Regards,
Tony Barry