PDA

View Full Version here: : Ordering from Losmandy USA

adman
27-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Has anyone recently ordered from Losmandy USA? I put an order through in very early January - the 3rd or 4th, and received an email confirmation that it was received, but since then have heard nothing, despite an email request for information regarding the order.....:shrug:. There hasn't been any credit card charge from them yet either.

Is this usual for Losmandy, or are they maybe just catching up after xmas holidays? How long do direct orders usually take from ordering to receiving?

Can anyone shed any light please?

Adam

pmrid
27-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi mate, it depends a bit on what you're ordering. If it has Gemini in it, you will have to wait until March or so I would think. But lesser items would normally ship pretty quickly. I have bought things from OPT at the same price as Losmandy. A difference between the 2 is that the OPT site normally tells you if an item is in stock or on back-order. Also, most US companies hold off on debiting your credit card until the item ships. I don't know if that's policy or law but most seem to do it.
Peter

icytailmark
27-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Bugger i was gunna order a G11 mount. Looks like i wont be getting one till middle of the year :(

adman
27-01-2011, 07:36 PM
No Gemini .....yet. I am loving the Argo for the moment. Just a few bits and bobs. Tripod knobs and clutch knobs, new hand controller and a saddle plate. Nothing that should be too taxing :shrug:

Adam

adman
29-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Still no email reply from Losmandy....might have to call them next week.

Adam

Barrykgerdes
29-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I bought my G11 + Gemini from Bintel. I don't think it was any dearer than if I had imported it myself. Price $US 3200. Advertise by Bintel at $A5600,

Delivered to me $A4700 becuse of the new exchange rate, No hassles, ordered in Oct 2009 for Jan 2010 delivery. Arrived Nov 2009. Had it operational Dec 2009. After sales service exceptional.

Barry

Exfso
29-01-2011, 11:18 AM
If you have skype connected, use that to call them, it is almost free. I use it all the time for any STD and overseas calls I make. It works out something like 1.9 c/minute, which is real cheap.

adman
29-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Yep love Skype - have it on my iPhone

Exfso
29-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Adam, John G has his G11 for sale on IIS, pretty good deal too.

Edit: well he did have, I can't see it any more, he must have removed the ad.

rmcconachy
29-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Had his G11 for sale on IIS, it's now sold Peter (not to me). :)

midnight
08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
I recently returned back home to Oz from the US and I ended up buying a nice gift for my wife and posted it back home ahead of us. Only to find out the hoops you have to jump through with Customs (which we were aware of so wasn't a suprise - except for the extra fees!!)

Out of interest, I enquired about a G11-G from Opt and they confirmed on Friday 4 Feb that Losmandy will be shipping week 4 of February.

Price : US$3120 for the G11 with Gemini
Mastercard Exchange rate : AU$1 = US$1.0035
Mastercard Foreign currency exchange rate = 2% of the purchase value
Delivery to Australia = US$690.
Delivery time = 5 days from shipping (or 3 if you want to pay more)
Customs Duty = 5% for tripods etc.
Customs Duty is applied to delivery as well as the product and customs duty calculation in AU$ is done at the time of arrival at customs (eg the exchange rate could drop to AU$1 = US$0.95 meaning customs will apply the duty on the AU$ converted price at that time - not at the time of purchase!!)
Customs handling fee = $40.40
AQIS Fee = $23.10
GST = 10% applied after all of the above fees added.

Customs will release usually in 24hrs of paying the duty.

In other words, buy over seas today and you pay approx AU$3900 after conversions etc. Expect to pay an additional AU$500 for duties and you're looking at about AU$4400 for a G11-G shipping in week 4 from the US. However, you take the risk the exchange rate may bite you in the rear end when the shipment arrives in customs if the forex drops!

Buyer beware but if you're budget conscious and prepared to take the risk - you could save a little. However, looking around on this forum, the price here in Australia is almost the same when you factor in these costs (and you get the consumer protection laws with Australian purchases)

Cheers,
Darrin...

midnight
08-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I disagree in that you always get a better exchange rate. Occassionally it comes close to Mastercard and Visa but I have never seen Paypal beat both credit cards. This morning, Mastercard was 1.0035 and Paypal was 0.978 (2.55% difference - Lose 2% by Mastercard fees and you're 0.55% better with Mastercard). RBA advise official rate was 1.0135

I originally thought that Paypal would have a better "end" deal because you are quite correct in that you are charged only for the price in $AU dollars (but converted from US by Paypal). But I have since found Paypal are approximately 0.5% to 1% net dearer consistently.

I have also found that they have a raft of limitations such as maximum payment in a certain time and if you try depositing money in to your paypal account, watch out if it goes over $1000. You have to provide a 4 point ID check due to new anti-laundering laws and Paypal will take 3 to 4 days to verify your ID. In simple, a pain for the first time but at least security is of prime concern to them.

However, Paypal offer consumer protection etc which is a form of insurance. Bottom line is it pays to know what you're getting into and choose to your risk appetite.

Cheers,
Darrin...

adman
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Well - its the clutch knobs that are holding things up - they won't be ready for another few weeks apparently. But they are going to ship what they have and send the clutch knobs later....

casstony
08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
The above doesn't seem correct according to the customs website:

"The Customs value of goods imported into Australia is known as the ‘transaction value’. It is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted (exported)."

netwolf
09-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I have posted this a few times before in various threads based on information I have found on the net.
According the the Customs law of Australia, Customs Duty should not apply to Astronomical Telscopes or mounting gear and accesories.
However GST does apply for the cost above 1000$.

Tandum
10-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Looks like you quoted me before I deleted that post. I dumped it cos some people want you to pay the paypal fee but not everyone and that is where paypal wins but it's not across the board. Paying the bank to do a currency exchange and getting a poor rate is just wrong. To be honest, if it's over $900 I'll try for an International transfer, that costs $28.80 flat last time I did one and you get a half decent exchange rate.

Tandum
10-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Fahim, It's the fees that bulk it up. I don't think there is excise duty on anything apart from cigs, booze and cars these days.

adman
08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Well - I am officially p'ed off.

It took Losmandy nearly two months to tell me that a part was out of stock, and needed to be machined - and that was only after several emails asking what was going on. Getting information on the status of my order has been like pulling teeth.

I have to say I expected much better from them.