PDA

View Full Version here: : Discmounts meets pipemount

casstony
18-01-2011, 03:02 PM
The DM-6 is designed to allow a flat metal plate to slide into place on the opposite side to the telescope mounting plate. A counterweight bar can be mounted here to balance heavier scopes but a simple pipe mount is easily bolted on too.

The second scope rides with the main scope in azimuth and it's a simple matter to adjust the altitude to find the object in the second scope. I like being able to view an object close up (C11) and set in it's wide field (f/5 refractor) at once.

I've only tested this setup in the daytime so far and the object wasn't centred in the second scope but adjustments on the synta dovetail should take care of that. The threads on the 50mm galvanised pipe/brass cap provide enough friction that the refractor doesn't move by itself.

gb_astro
18-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Certainly adds to the mount Tony.
Beats me why DiskMounts does not do this as standard.

gb.

casstony
18-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi gb, I can understand why Tom at Discmounts has resisted adding slow motion controls (simplicity has it's charm) but the second scope mount is so quickly connected/removed that I feel it doesn't detract from the original design philosophy, while adding significantly to functionality.

I'm sure Tom could manage something a bit more classy than my efforts and sell a lot of these accessories to existing owners. Perhaps the T-Rex threat will provide renewed impetus to innovation at discmounts?

The balance provided by the second scope makes the azimuth motion dreamy smooth and it sure is nice to be able to load the second scope without setting up a second mount.