PDA

View Full Version here: : OFFICIAL - Bintel 12"

ballaratdragons
01-02-2005, 08:55 PM
The Answer.

After conversation with Don at Bintel I now have this info:

BINTEL 12" Dobsonian Basic model - Under $1000

At extra cost an Upgraded model with Fan & Crayford Focuser.

Each Telescope will be dismantled and reassembled, collimated and tested by a factory trained technician.

The optics are Guan Sheng.
Consistently producing 95-97 strehl mirrors.

Accessories included:

Plossl EP's: 25mm, 15mm, 9mm.
8 x 50 Finderscope.
ND #96 Filter.
Instruction Manual.

Extra charges:
Shipping - Insured door-to-door.

Availability: - Some time in March 2005.

___________________________________ _______

Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

[1ponders]
01-02-2005, 09:37 PM
With three plossl EP's and a Neutral Density filter included. What a bargain! That is so tempting.

Starkler
01-02-2005, 10:08 PM
The Crayford focuser is an upgrade worth paying an extra $100 for. I have one on my scope :)

thomo
02-02-2005, 08:59 AM
I was thinking about getting the 10" Dob from Andrews. Might wait til March for this one now. Thanks for the info.

iceman
02-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Make sure you take into account how big and heavy it is.

The 12" is significantly longer and heavier than the 10". The 10" is quite easily portable for 1 person, the 12" is really pushing it.

You'll need a bigger car to fit it in, and won't want to have to be moving it around the place too much.

Of course aperture rules, but just remember to think about the other side effects too. Good luck!

vindictive666
02-02-2005, 09:36 AM
morning mike

you quoted this

"Of course aperture rules, but just remember to think about the other side effects too. Good luck!"

can you clarify the other side effects please ? :)
because i was thinking of getting one :)
ive got the room in my car ect :)

iceman
02-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey Vin, these are the side effects I was meaning :)

If none of that bothers you, then aperture rules! :) Of course there'll be a longer cooldown time of the primary mirror too, but that's not too big a deal.

gaa_ian
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM
That is a very good deal from Bintel ... I wonder what Lee from Andrews will be doing to match that :confuse3:

ving
02-02-2005, 11:00 AM
buy me one! :D

vindictive666
02-02-2005, 11:03 AM
thanks mike for the answer :)

i wonder if theyll flock it for you if you ask em when they install the new focuser :)

ballaratdragons
02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah! Come on Lee Andrews, top that!

ballaratdragons
05-02-2005, 01:45 PM
I contacted Lee and asked him if he can give a better price as some of the forum members are interested in ordering the Bintel bargain.

His email reply:
___________________________________ __________
Hi Ken,
We are now asking GS about any special offer they have re 12" Dobs., so please tell those fellows who are interested in buying one to "hold their horses"...as we will ALWAYS have the best price on our optical products, regardless!!!
My current GS seafreight shipment is due into the shop on Monday and I have already asked GS that I want to place another order with them (prior to you telling me about the 12" Dob. offer from Bintel).

Regards,
Lee.
___________________________________ __________

It will be interesting to see what happens with prices in the next few days!
:confuse3:

Starkler
05-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Good work Ken :)

ballaratdragons
05-02-2005, 09:22 PM
<font face="times new roman" size="4" color="black"><i><b>Thanks Geoff,</b></i></font>

<font face="times new roman" size="3" color="black"><i>If Lee can beat them I will order one straight away! and a 2" 30mm SuperView to go with it.

I was about to order from <b>Bintel</b> but thought I would check <b>Lee Andrews</b> first.</i></font>

:stargaze:

ballaratdragons
06-02-2005, 08:05 PM
<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="indigo"><b>O.K. I have just recieved this email from Lee Andrews:</b><font>

___________________________________ ___________
Lee Andrews
Sunday, 6 February 2005 6:02 PM
Ballarat Dragons
Re: Dobsonian

Hi Ken,
Okay, after initial investigations I can say with reasonable confidence that our price will be lower (and not by some paltry $5 or $10, either) than Bintel re GS's new Limited/Standard version of their 12" Dobsonian. Their price will be $998...from several discrete enquiries we made this past week.
This is a new and lower cost model as it has a plate glass primary mirror and one 2" eyepiece only is included as far as I know (no other eyepieces are included by the GS factory...they told me).
I should have this model (Standard/Limited 12") and also their 10" plate glass Dob. (Standard/Limited) in the following shipment.
I just missed out by a few days having this new 10" Dob. included in the current shipment.
I have several customers who have hand figured up to 16" plate glass primary mirrors and had no problems whatsoever with normal temperature variations (such as is found in most parts of temperate Australia) causing excessive mirror distortion, Ken!
Also, I have a large GS shipment due in tomorrow to my warehouse and the new Deluxe GS 12" Dob with Crayford style 2" focuser is fitted (as I paid extra for that option).
Price will, again, be lower than Bintel's pricing for this model...of course!
I think that a 2" 32mm f.l. eyepiece and a 9mm f.l. 1.25" Plossl is included but I usually include a 25mm one from my stock, anyway...to round out a nice package. I'll check exactly what's included this time around by GS when I get a chance, possibly later this week. Their inclusions can vary from time to time for various reasons.

Regards,
Lee.
___________________________________ ____________

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="indigo"><b>Well, I have found out as much as I can and it's up to each individual to choose where to go from here. I'm not too happy about the sound of Plate Glass myself living in a cold part of Victoria.

I might stick with the Andrews 12" BK7 glass version that is $1199.

Good Luck deciding.

</b><font>

ving
06-02-2005, 08:14 PM
competition is good huh? :)

keeps that price down... should go back to bintel with andrews price :P

ballaratdragons
06-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Not so worried about Price as much as 'Plate Glass'.

If is is not as good I would rather pay the bit more for BK7.

ballaratdragons
06-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Just answered my own question.

Plate glass is O.K.

Look here www.oldham-optical.co.uk/Glass.htm

thomo
06-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Great work Ken - saves a hundred of us asking them the same questions. The only choices now is whether to go for the 10" or the 12" and whether to pay a bit extra for the additional work/testing Bintel do.

ballaratdragons
06-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Thomo,

After delivery a scope should be re-collimated anyway.

They do get knocked around no matter how gentle delivery people are.

At that price a 12" is a better buy than a 10" (unless 12" is too hard to transport), and 12" is starting to collect colour in nebulas.

Personal choice still.

Starkler
07-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Lee also told me a few weeks ago he would be getting in some crayford focusers as a separate item.

If you talk to him again a few might be interested to know what price he is putting on them.

parsec
07-02-2005, 06:51 PM
hi all, so just how hard is it to transport a 12".I have been lurking for a while researching getting my first serious 'scope, and I was almost convinced to get a gso 8", then leant towards a 10", now I am really confused :)

I have a passenger van, which should cope with the size, but I have not seen a 12" in real life.

I live in Marion (Adelaide suburbs), but have a dark sky property 40 mins away, so transporting a 12" may be an issue. Thoughts ?

shaun

Striker
07-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Shaun...welcome to the forums...

The dobs no matter what size arn't heavy...obviously the size does matter...but even a 12 inch dob is not that much harder to handle then a 8 inch..the tube itself is actualy light....I use to carry my 8 inch dob and mount out together as 1 piece...as far as transportation....use the box it come in......Thats what I did....I dont see a real problem regarding Transportation...maybe some other memebers here may have a different view.....

ballaratdragons
07-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Shaun,

Jump over to the thread "Andrews Special" and it might help you make up your mind. Price-wise anyway.
GS 12" Dob is 145cm long and not very heavy.