PDA

View Full Version here: : Some E-Mail help please

leon
15-01-2011, 10:57 PM
High Guys when it comes to email stuff i am not all that bright, :P and rarely do it.
However I do now have an email address, with Hotmail.com, but it dose not seem to play fair. :shrug:

I log on and it opens to any messages that are there, but that is it, and it wont open the messages so i can read them. :shrug:

So now i have a couple of messages in there that wont open at all, it however was working on and off earlier though. :help:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Many Thanks.:thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

michaellxv
16-01-2011, 01:18 AM
I assume you are accessing this through your web browser. You should be able to just click on any of the emails and it will open it up for you.

I just sent you a new one, see how that goes.

leon
16-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the response Michael, yea mate, I know they are suppose to open, but the little buggers wont do anything when clicked upon, even yours did not come through.

Once the screen comes up with all the messages, and mind you that is not many, there it stays and refuses to open anything upon which i click.

Leon

michaellxv
16-01-2011, 09:43 PM
ok, have to start asking specific questions.

What web browser are you using?
Does the mouse pointer change to a hand when you move over each item?
Could be either security settings in your browser or something related to Java or something else.

Just remembered - are you using windoze or did you make the jump to a MAC a few months back?

leon
16-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Still using Windows Michael, and the mouse pointer dose not change at all.

Now the strange thing here is that my wife put my email address into her computer, and all the messages that i am suppose to open came up, and she was able to access all the emails, no problem. :shrug:

But when I try it on my computer they will not budge.:sadeyes:

Buggered if i know, :shrug: thanks for your help though.;)

Leon :thumbsup:

mithrandir
16-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Leon,

Working on one computer and not on another sounds like configuration differences.

IE and Firefox behave differently, and even more differently if you have NoScript in Firefox. NoScript stops scripts running unless you "allow" the site. It would not surprise me in the least for hotmail's pages to be riddled with Javascript.

With NoScript, if you do not have "Show messages about blocked scripts" ticked you may never know that something was blocked.

Andrew

michaellxv
16-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Hotmail definitely uses Javscript, so this sounds like the problem. Do you use IE or Firefox OR something else :D

leon
17-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys it seems that we are getting closer to the problem, and i use neither IE or Firefox, I use Seamonky, and it performs very well.

Maybe I should change, is this possible, also I do notice Javascript appearing when I mouse over the emails, but that is it, nothing happens.

Leon:thumbsup:

mithrandir
17-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Seamonkey is just the latest rendition of Mozilla, and is pretty much Firefox + Thunderbird, so Javascript getting blocked is quite possible.

Andrew

michaellxv
17-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Assuming it is not too different. From the menu bar select Tools->Options then select Content and look for the checkbox Enable JavaScript and make sure it is ticked.

leon
17-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys for your help, but i have to inform you that Seamonky dose have tools in the menu bar but it dose not open up any options.
So we are no further than before, thank you for your patience.

Leon

PS I have been fiddling and looking not quite sure at what, however I have discovered that anything to do with Java Script has an error attached to it.
It tells me there is a run time error, or to that effect, is this any help to you knowledgeable people.

LG

mithrandir
17-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Have a read of http://kb.mozillazine.org/Javascript for clues. In Seamonkey the settings are not under "Tools". It could be a firewall setting.

Depending on how Javascript is "made safe" by firewalls etc you can wind up with syntax errors. This has happened to me, but not with NoScript. As hotmail works on your other computer the syntax must be right - according to that O/S and browser.

"Small and Limp" are known for their inability to follow standards, and to whom does hotmail belong?

Andrew

joe_smith
17-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Just a quick one I would remove that mail address from the thread, because if you leave it the spam bots will report back home and fill your in-box with spam offspring.

you can go here to see if your java is running ok http://javatester.org/version.htm

Have you tried firefox just to check its not a seamonkey bug.

leon
17-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for that I did actually think of that while lying in bed last night, but forgot to do it.

Thanks for the info.

Leon

leon
18-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Well at last thanks to you good people we have it working again, lets hope it stays this way, at least i know what to do now, thanks to all for your patience and persistence.

Leon